chrisbeckerbw

LDD export to Ldraw missing Mindstorm Parts

Hello Community,

i'd like to export a model from LDD into a Ldwar (.ldr) file. My model includes some Lego Mindstorm parts which were missing in the first export attempts. After some research here I could find much information about adding parts to the ldraw.xml which solved almost all of my export problems. However there are still two parts missing in my ldraw file:

-Mindstorm MS 2013 Engine 

-Mindstorm EV3 Touch Sensort

I already added the following lines to my ldraw.xml:

<!-- Electric Mindstorms EV3 Brick -->
<Brick ldraw="95646.dat" lego="54809" />
<Transformation ldraw="95646.dat" tx="2.4" ty="-3.6" tz="4.8" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="1.570796" />
<!-- Electric Mindstorms EV3 Color Sensor -->
<Transformation ldraw="95650.dat" tx="-0.4" ty="0" tz="-0.8" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="4.712389" />
<!-- Electric Mindstorms EV3 Ultrasonic Sensor -->
<Transformation ldraw="95652.dat" tx="-0.4" ty="0" tz="-0.8" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="4.712389" />

<!--the following parts do not work -->

<!--  Electric Mindstorms EV3 Large Motor  95658.dat  -->
<!--  MS 2013 ENGINE  95658  -->
<Brick ldraw="95658.dat" lego="95658" />
<Transformation ldraw="95658.dat" tx="1.2" ty="0" tz="7.2" ax="0" ay="-1" az="0" angle="4.712389"/>
<!--  Electric Mindstorms EV3 Touch Sensor  95648.dat  -->
<!--  MS, EV3, TOUCH SENSOR  95648  -->
<Assembly ldraw="95648.dat" lego="95648">
<Part ldraw="99386.dat"/>
<Part ldraw="99385c01.dat"/>
</Assembly>

<!-- Electric Mindstorms EV3 Large Motor Case  99550c01.dat -->
<!--  MS TACHO MOTOR HOUSING,VIRTUEL  74042  -->
<Brick ldraw="99550c01.dat" lego="74042"/>
<Transformation ldraw="99550c01.dat" tx="1.2" ty="0" tz="7.2" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="1.570796"/>

<!--  Electric Mindstorms EV3 Large Motor  95658.dat  -->
<!--  MS 2013 ENGINE  95658  -->
<Assembly ldraw="95658.dat" lego="95658">
<Part ldraw="99550c01.dat"/>
<Part ldraw="54725c01.dat"/>
</Assembly>

The first few do work perfectly well for me those are from a different source. The last two parts are missing when exported in .ldr those i copied from the ldraw.xml which is provider with ldwar.xml guide.

Which lines I have to add to make the last two parts working? I am using LDD version 4.3.10  may this be the source of the problem ?

Does anyone have similar problems and could help me with it? 

I am very grateful for any help!

Greetings,

Chris

Edited by chrisbeckerbw

:look: What are you meaning by “they don’t work”? Are the parts wrongly placed or are they absent?

They work well here.

Note that my ldraw.xml file is tuned to the latest LDraw Unofficial Library (because either the parts aren’t available in the Official Library or they have been modified since its last release and it’s easier to install and use the whole Unofficial Library than to pick only the, numerous, new files).

[It also contains (non)-transformations for parts that are not yet available from LDraw.org (but are available as raw translations from LDD at digital-bricks.de), for those who really need them. But the parts you cite aren’t among those.]

41 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

:look: What are you meaning by “they don’t work”? Are the parts wrongly placed or are they absent?

They work well here.

Note that my ldraw.xml file is tuned to the latest LDraw Unofficial Library (because either the parts aren’t available in the Official Library or they have been modified since its last release and it’s easier to install and use the whole Unofficial Library than to pick only the, numerous, new files).

[It also contains (non)-transformations for parts that are not yet available from LDraw.org (but are available as raw translations from LDD at digital-bricks.de), for those who really need them. But the parts you cite aren’t among those.]

The parts are missing in the exported .ldr file. They are not in the code of the ldr file it seems like they are basically ignored by the export process. 

Okay is there a way i can include those parts in the ldraw.xml with the standard library or do i have to update to the unofficial library?

And if I "update" to the unofficial library do I have to except some trouble by editing my model.ldr  with MLCad and LPub3D? 

Edit:

For testing reasons i did add the following line to my ldraw.xml: 

<!-- Electric Mindstorms EV3 Large Motor -->
<Brick ldraw="95658.dat" lego="95658" />

Then I made new LDD Model with just the motor. Here i checked the lego number which is shown in at a textbar at the bottom of LDD if you click at an item.

Now i exported the Model to an .ltd and the file is empty. The engine doesn't even show up with a wrong rotation it is just missing. 

Thanks for the help so far

Greetings 

Chris

Edited by chrisbeckerbw

33 minutes ago, chrisbeckerbw said:

The parts are missing in the exported .ldr file. They are not in the code of the ldr file it seems like they are basically ignored by the export process. 

Yes, that’s a strange export problem: LDD doesn’t care whether the .dat files are available or not on disk, it only transforms the LXF file into an LDR file, so that the parts are totally missing in the .ldr means there’s a problem in the ldraw.xml file. A typo or wrong duplicate somewhere?

Did you try with my ldraw.xml file (even only temporarily if you don’t want to use it whole).

33 minutes ago, chrisbeckerbw said:

Okay is there a way i can include those parts in the ldraw.xml with the standard library or do i have to update to the unofficial library?

After checking, all the parts you cite above seem to be available in the Official Library.

By the way, I don’t understand why you transform 54809 Electric Motor Boat Propellor with  2 Blades (which is part of 54824 Electric Motor Boat with Light Bluish Grey  2 Blades Propellor and Rudder) into 95646 Electric Mindstorms EV3 (which is available as 95646.dat in the Official Library). (That’s not a problem for export: LDD exports 95646 as 95646.dat because of the Transformation tag. But it’d be a problem for import as LDD would translate 95646 into a subpart, so into nothing.)

Edited by SylvainLS

38 minutes ago, SylvainLS said:

Yes, that’s a strange export problem: LDD doesn’t care whether the .dat files are available or not on disk, it only transforms the LXF file into an LDR file, so that the parts are totally missing in the .ldr means there’s a problem in the ldraw.xml file. A typo or wrong duplicate somewhere?

Did you try with my ldraw.xml file (even only temporarily if you don’t want to use it whole).

After checking, all the parts you cite above seem to be available in the Official Library.

By the way, I don’t understand why you transform 54809 Electric Motor Boat Propellor with  2 Blades (which is part of 54824 Electric Motor Boat with Light Bluish Grey  2 Blades Propellor and Rudder) into 95646 Electric Mindstorms EV3 (which is available as 95646.dat in the Official Library). (That’s not a problem for export: LDD exports 95646 as 95646.dat because of the Transformation tag. But it’d be a problem for import as LDD would translate 95646 into a subpart, so into nothing.)

So i tried to export with your file but i got a warning:

The Model 'C:\Users\me\Desktop\unnamed.ldr' can't be exported.

. No more information is provided. Has youre ldraw.xml been tested with the newest LDD version 4.3.10 may should i downgrade?

I did also try to just copy the needed parts into the default ldraw.xml which did't produced a warning but did't worked either.

Yes all of the parts in my project are available in the official library.

That's very strange but i seems like this code:

<Transformation ldraw="95646.dat" tx="2.4" ty="-3.6" tz="4.8" ax="0" ay="1" az="0" angle="1.570796" />

does indeed transform the EV3 Brick from LDD to the EV3 Brick in .ldr file format. If i do comment this lines out the EV3 Brick is also missing in the ldr file. If i click on the Brick in LDD i see the article number 95646 which is different to the one in the line but still it will be correctly exported.

Edit: This is where if found the code of the working parts. May this be helpful. 

Edited by chrisbeckerbw

30 minutes ago, chrisbeckerbw said:

So i tried to export with your file but i got a warning:

The Model 'C:\Users\me\Desktop\unnamed.ldr' can't be exported.

. No more information is provided.

That’s weird. Have you downloaded the latest version (2016-12-07)? And does it look okay? (not truncated or full of garbage?)

md5sum is 0cc14abdd3e926bfdd5dd1053a421d4e

(I really should include that in my update posts…)

Could you send me your lxf file?  (I’ll send you a PM, as you can’t yet.)

19 minutes ago, chrisbeckerbw said:

Has youre ldraw.xml been tested with the newest LDD version 4.3.10

Yes. As of September 16th, the file has been cleaned and all the parts have been retested:

… and as you can see in a following post in October, the parts from brick set 2248 / LDD 4.3.10 have been added.

The file is updated to follow LDD (rare) updates and to replace digital-bricks.de parts with Unofficial parts as they arrive.

19 minutes ago, chrisbeckerbw said:

That's very strange but i seems like this code:

does indeed transform the EV3 Brick from LDD to the EV3 Brick in .ldr file format. If i do comment this lines out the EV3 Brick is also missing in the ldr file. If i click on the Brick in LDD i see the article number 95646 which is different to the one in the line but still it will be correctly exported.

The Transformation tag is okay. LDD sees it and deduces that lego ID 95646 can be exported into 95646.dat, so it works. It’s the Brick tag that’s wrong and it would only be used in import, so it’s not really a problem for you now..

Well okay I downloaded your file and tried it again. It worked perfectly well for all the parts in my project. Thank you very much!!! 

The problem has been that i just opened your file in the browser pressed strg+a(select all) and strg+c (copy selection) and just copied it into the original file. By selecting all it did also select your title which of course shouldn't be in the xml.   :grin:

Thank you very much for your help and for providing the ldraw.xml :laugh: :thumbup:

:classic: Happy that finally worked!

(By the way, it’s not “my title,” it’s your browser adding an “explanation” because XML files can also be rendered (like HTML) so it tries and fails to render it instead of proposing you to download it. :grin:)

Hello Comunity,i wanna ask about editing the linecodestuff or whatevs on the ldraw.xml

can someone please guide me on how to edit or change it.?

The first thing I would suggest is to download the updated ldraw.xml, which @SylvainLS does a wonderful job of updating and can be downloaded from the first post in this topic:

If the updated ldraw.xml file doesn't contain what you are after, the same post describes the file structure. But try downloading the updated file first!

David