o0ger

[MOC] Blade Wing Starfighter

First off, fantastic model, Your building techniques are on point. I did run into this though:

32073549862_d84caeaa12_b.jpg

An impossible connection that LEGO seems to be allowing. At first I fixed it by rotating the green and white pieces:

32103509551_5c1eec90d0_b.jpg

But I think adding some 1x1 technic blocks may be the best solution...LDD doesn't allow these connections though. Any thoughts?

32073551462_0f32496d5a_b.jpg

Edited by jameseilers

Very beautiful Blade Wing, look very good, congratulations.

Edited by Cyh Naan

9 hours ago, jameseilers said:

Yes! just downloaded both. I'll probably be building this ahead of some of my own MOCs I need to buy parts for. I can't wait. 

cheers! :)

3 hours ago, jameseilers said:

First off, fantastic model, Your building techniques are on point. I did run into this though:

32073549862_d84caeaa12_b.jpg

An impossible connection that LEGO seems to be allowing. At first I fixed it by rotating the green and white pieces:

32103509551_5c1eec90d0_b.jpg

But I think adding some 1x1 technic blocks may be the best solution...LDD doesn't allow these connections though. Any thoughts?

32073551462_0f32496d5a_b.jpg

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention this. You need to replace all green headlight bricks with 1x1 technic bricks!

Awesome. This really makes me dislike the latest minifig scale B-Wing. Just about 80 % of the proportions were wrong on that one.
Hera/Quarie's B-Wing would have been such a great set, if designed the way you did.

21 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

Awesome. This really makes me dislike the latest minifig scale B-Wing. Just about 80 % of the proportions were wrong on that one.
Hera/Quarie's B-Wing would have been such a great set, if designed the way you did.

Thanks! Yes! The others are all too small!

This is really beautiful! Love how you put that together as well. Good luck with the contest!

So, trying to see if I can figure out a way to fit in the fuel (or whatever they are) cylinders (reference shots) but I haven't found something I'm completely happy with yet. I think the 2x2 cylinders would be a little too big...

31448663653_f2e0c43c6f_h.jpg

25 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Can anyone kindly repost this MOC on a site that isn't adfly? It's twice set off my malware alert.

Just grab the contest edition, its on Dropbox. The changes are very minor and some of them include pieces that don't exist anyway. 

On 2017-01-12 at 4:56 AM, jameseilers said:

So, trying to see if I can figure out a way to fit in the fuel (or whatever they are) cylinders (reference shots) but I haven't found something I'm completely happy with yet. I think the 2x2 cylinders would be a little too big...

31448663653_f2e0c43c6f_h.jpg

Cool! Looking good so far. I tried a few things but I couldn't find the right size either.

9 hours ago, jameseilers said:

Also, 2x of this piece: http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=6106#T=C are in the model... but they don't seem to exist in red. What did you end up doing for your model?

Damn, I didn't notice that! Thanks for pointing that out. I used http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?id=3146#T=C instead.

6 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Can anyone kindly repost this MOC on a site that isn't adfly? It's twice set off my malware alert.

You could ask me: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3948340/o0ger_Blade_Wing_Starfighter.lxf

I post most of my digital builds to Repubrick (https://www.repubrick.com). It is a place where AFOLs share digital creations with each other. Repubrick uses adfly for links and it gives the creator like half a cent per download or something. I don't charge large sums of money for my MOCs. You just need to watch an ad for 5 seconds. Don't you think that's fair? I think adfly is a legit site, maybe your malware detection software is a bit aggressive? 

5 hours ago, jameseilers said:

Just grab the contest edition, its on Dropbox. The changes are very minor and some of them include pieces that don't exist anyway. 

Have you found more? other than the 6x6 wedge plate?

Edited by o0ger

On 2017-01-11 at 4:09 PM, Delta62 said:

This is really beautiful! Love how you put that together as well. Good luck with the contest!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, jameseilers said:

The changes are mostly just adding more plates and SNOT to add stability to the model. Some decoration also. 

For example I added some reverse finger-hinge technique (http://swooshable.com/snot/finger-hinges) on the front of the fuselage. In the contest version it is just one long plate. It works with one long plate, but it just holds together better with the finger hinges. You can probably find other solutions as well.

14 hours ago, o0ger said:

Have you found more? other than the 6x6 wedge plate?

I ended up replacing the wedge plates the same way. The only other piece I've found is the 2x1 inverted slopes http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=24201#T=S&C=110&O={"color":110}

Lego really needs to get more of these pieces out.

Rebrickable is really great for uploading LXF files to check the parts inventory against what Lego has produced, as well as outputting valid Brickstock and Bricklink parts lists. 

Edited by jameseilers

43 minutes ago, jameseilers said:

I ended up replacing the wedge plates the same way. The only other piece I've found is the 2x1 inverted slopes http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=24201#T=S&C=110&O={"color":110}

Lego really needs to get more of these pieces out.

Rebrickable is really great for uploading LXF files to check the parts inventory against what Lego has produced, as well as outputting valid Brickstock and Bricklink parts lists. 

Ok! Thanks! I don't know why I used that part. I have looked at my real, plastic MOC now and updated the LXF files.

Honestly, having looked the thing over now, I can say with confidence that this is the best B-Wing of any scale I've ever seen done in Lego. I hope you win, because if you don't, I (and many others) will be stuck Bricklinking this beauty.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

9 hours ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Honestly, having looked the thing over now, I can say with confidence that this is the best B-Wing of any scale I've ever seen done in Lego. I hope you win, because if you don't, I (and many others) will be stuck Bricklinking this beauty.

Thank you so much! There are many good entries in the competition. I'm not holding my hopes too high :)

The only other one I'd really like to see is the Hammerhead Corvette - not only is it a neat little capital, but now that it's been featured prominently in Rogue One, there's a lot of additional crossover appeal.

I do wish one of these sets could find a way to work in a Maketh Tua minifigure. She really sort of emerged into a fan favorite over the course of her brief tenure, and from time to time there have been pushes to reintroduce her into Rebels (especially since her "death" was somewhat unusual and could have very easily been faked). 

On 1/15/2017 at 4:29 AM, ProvenceTristram said:

I do wish one of these sets could find a way to work in a Maketh Tua minifigure. She really sort of emerged into a fan favorite over the course of her brief tenure, and from time to time there have been pushes to reintroduce her into Rebels (especially since her "death" was somewhat unusual and could have very easily been faked). 

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sentinel-class_landing_craft maybe a Rebels version of this?

I have made a few modifications and wanted to get some feedback/thoughs before I start making my BrickLink orders.

First off was rounding the trailing edge of the body. 

34396134206_141cb071b8_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.28.12 PM by James Eilers, on Flickr

Next was adding the fuel canisters (I guess thats what they are), changing the angled pieces on the body and changing how the wings attach to the body to be more in line with the model in the show. By moving the connection point for the wings one stud higher up, I had to shift the cutouts in the body where the blasters sit when the wings are folded. The only part that is not ideal is that now the wings do not sit as close to the body when folded. 

34307048151_09b0288b5b_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.28.46 PM by James Eilers, on Flickr

34437687635_5f931fe5d4_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.30.38 PM by James Eilers, on Flickr

34307048121_0af3de2b07_b.jpgScreen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.27.18 PM by James Eilers, on Flickr

Whoah! This is pretty much perfect version of its TV-model!
Gotta love those functions, especially the interconnected turning mechanism of the cocpit and the lower cannon
is very cool. I like to do complicated mechanisms myself, too, so this really cheered me up to see someone else
trying these things, too. =)

- Samppu

12 hours ago, jameseilers said:

I have made a few modifications and wanted to get some feedback/thoughs before I start making my BrickLink orders.

First off was rounding the trailing edge of the body. 

Next was adding the fuel canisters (I guess thats what they are), changing the angled pieces on the body and changing how the wings attach to the body to be more in line with the model in the show. By moving the connection point for the wings one stud higher up, I had to shift the cutouts in the body where the blasters sit when the wings are folded. The only part that is not ideal is that now the wings do not sit as close to the body when folded. 

Some great adjustments there! Looks great!

However... you MUST use click-hinges for attaching the wings. There is no way they will stay in position it you use regular hinges.

47 minutes ago, Samppu said:

Whoah! This is pretty much perfect version of its TV-model!
Gotta love those functions, especially the interconnected turning mechanism of the cocpit and the lower cannon
is very cool. I like to do complicated mechanisms myself, too, so this really cheered me up to see someone else
trying these things, too. =)

- Samppu

Thanks! It was a great MOCing experience putting this thing together.

Edited by o0ger

1 hour ago, o0ger said:

Some great adjustments there! Looks great!

However... you MUST use click-hinges for attaching the wings. There is no way they will stay in position it you use regular hinges.

Thanks! It was a great MOCing experience putting this thing together.

I did, I have 2 click hinges and 2 regular/smooth hinges just for extra stability.