o0ger

[MOC] Blade Wing Starfighter

13 hours ago, jameseilers said:

I did, I have 2 click hinges and 2 regular/smooth hinges just for extra stability. 

Ok, that will probably work. 

OK! Parts finally here and I stared the build this weekend. One issue I dealt with this afternoon was the back edge of the wing is only hinged at the top and is free swinging. I tried every brick combination I could think of to try and secure the hinged section some other way but finally caved and used a rubber band (it is a Lego rubber band though!) The rubber band does not affect the function of the technic pieces allowing the cockpits to spin together. 

35208217046_21592f12dd_k.jpgIMG_1722 by James Eilers, on Flickr

35082875172_c823b4c3c6_k.jpgIMG_1723 by James Eilers, on Flickr

On 10/24/2017 at 12:46 PM, o0ger said:

That's a neat trick! 

It didn't swing out that much when I built it. Maybe the friction will be different depending on how used the hinges are?

New link for downloading LXF: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fr8g0f7zy8rwuuw/o0ger_Blade_Wing_Starfighter.lxf?dl=0 

Please tell me if this doesn't work.

Hello!  I found your feed and this thread and am loving this Blade Wing.  I have the official B-Wing set that I got after that episode of Rebels and bought a Hera mining to go with it.  I downloaded your LXF file and imported it into Studio.  I've made some of the changes jameseilers and have added my own too before I order some bricks.

o0ger_Blade_Wing_Starfighter_v2_small.jpg.33de35126134cf9e806ed2108be8ccd7.jpg

The tanks are a bit big but 1x1 was too small.  I added the black section for the lights to add symmetry but I'm not 100% happy with it.  What do you think?

I think it looks great! I ignored the tanks in my design because there was a limit in the number of parts allowed in the contest. I just had to scrap something.

So after thinking and posting pics in a Facebook MOC  group I decided to try it in orange.  As you said, not all are available in that colour so I substituted as necessary.  Gives it a backyard shed look, just what a prototype would have.  Also changed the centre to dark bluish grey and the white to light bluish grey.  That was prompted by the difficulty of getting those curved bricks in white in the UK. I'm really happy with this now and will be ordering parts after I go through and see what I have first.

I put the Stud.io files on Google Drive in both orange and Red/Grey if anyone is interested.  

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bKQXMS4qtDQZMuPz4RzaOMwdRB_NKH6N?usp=sharing 

o0ger_Blade_Wing_Starfighter_orange_3_lorez.jpg

Edited by Enfurnoh
added pictures

Great model! The overall shape is excellent.  like both color schemes: red/white and orange/gray.

Is it sturdy enough for children to play with?

Just loaded them to my Drive, same link as above @o0ger.

13 hours ago, dvogon said:

Great model! The overall shape is excellent.  like both color schemes: red/white and orange/gray.

Is it sturdy enough for children to play with?

Not really, it's quite fragile.  Display only.  That's why I made a stand too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wtxv66TkTLyeQWFmSca599r3zG9C_DBn/view?usp=sharing

14 hours ago, o0ger said:

The link only works for members of that group :(

Posted the pics in my Drive, same link as above.