Sign in to follow this  
Kanal-K1

7723 Police Hydroplane review

1. BEFORE BUYING

Even if I am City fan, those new sized planes are really not mine cup of tea, my love to Lego is firmly frozen somewhere between years 1980-1995. Main reason to buy was, that I wanted to write a review at Czech Afol web Kostky.org. I bought it three days ago via web advertising, price was +- 35 USD.

2. AFTER OPENING THE BOX

As presumed, some very big parts and three bags, and as an additional bonus lot of Danish air free of charge. First sight told me, that this will be really short and easy building..

3. IMPRESSIONS DURING BUILDING

...and it was really true. 30 minutes of lazy building. Bag 1 - plane. Bag 2 - plane gondols with supports. Bag 3 - wings and propellers. When I saw the way, how is this plane made, I was strongly thinking to play Money for Nothing from Dire Straits as a music accordant with whole set.

4. IMPRESSIONS AFTER BUILDING - LOOKOUT

<insert that tiresome argument> creeps. This is my first plane in this scale and for 99% the last one. Lack of details, lot of ugly big parts, from whole set you can see the main development target - to keep RRP at some certain low level.

Inner space of airplane absolutely undone, no details, no luggage, no computers, nothing at all!! Just a lot, lot of air! The very only details in whole plane are the stickered pilots desk and some kind of seat constuction.

5. IMPRESSIONS AFTER BUILDING - PLAYABILITY

But, what is playability at this set? Hydroplane, which cannot float (as seen on enclosed photos) ? If TLC will make some new kind of big parts used for gondolas, to make the plane floating, they will for sure make no other damage. Juniorization couldn

Edited by Kanal-K1

Ah great review Kanal-K1 (and welcome to EB! :-D ), I was waiting for one of this set. Not that I was expecting anything good, I won't buy it.

I agree with thr playability, it does seem weak. What can you do with it. Swoosh it? :-/

Big step backwards LEGO... :-(

Dr. Brick

Howly cow!

This is *y* *y* *y* for you for making a review so fast! Thank you so much.

Hope it keeps a lot of people from buying. :-|

When I saw the way, how is this plane made, I was strongly thinking to play Money for Nothing from Dire Straits as a music accordant with whole set.

:-D LOL! :-D , great comment!

This is my first plane in this scale and for 99% the last one.

This will never be my first or last plane and that for 100% :-X

7723 Crap plane OFF!

Thanks for the review, but Its an utter pass for me on this one - I already have a huge <insert that tiresome argument> plane from the airport set - one is enough for me! :-$

I have the big passenger plane so I'll be passing on this one. One big <insert that tiresome argument> plane is enough for me!

If I didn't have the passenger plane though I'd rather get the Cargo plane. There's enough Police in my city as it is!

Am I the only that one that thinks it is not SO BAD???????????????????????What I am trying to say is wouldn't planes be this big in real life???I know it has a lot of big pieces but how would they make them any smaller,or how would they the big pieces into a bunch of tiny pieces?well any way I do think in some cases that if there is any "<insert that tiresome argument>" involved it should be with duplo. complaning OFF

Thanks for the review! *sweet* I am stunned at the lack of an interior... not that it makes much difference as I wasn't likely to want this set anyway as I own the passenger plane from last year. Sorry to steal your image, but I just had to post this! :-P

sink.jpeg

Thks for this caustic review :-D

I'll wait for the parts on bricklink.

I think you're a bit unfair with this small oversized submarine - oups sorry, I mean plane.

Here are some advantages I tried to imagine :

1. that's the first submarine with a plane nose,

2. That's the first unprinted nose,

3. That's the first shark that make me laugh, and which has a plain white fin

4. And at last, you should have notice that that the first submarine with a wing made of several plates

It is said that this set has more than 200 parts... Hide and seek ! X-D You may have lost several bags

I'm eager that people buy this set a lot : I'd like to buy a lot of these new white 4x4x2 curved slope for my MOCs.

Can you take a picture of the plane crashing in the sink ? Is it fire proof ?

I think that will be too easy this year to decide what is the crap of year ...

sink.jpeg

This picture sums it all up and is quite symbolic.... Going down to Davy-Jones' locker for good.

Just pull the plug out of your bathtub. But wait... it won't fit through the drain because it's too big :-(

Come on, they could have at least put one tiny little seat inside that horrible fuselage!

:-X :-X

Thanks for the review, unfortunately the pictures did not load for me! I have to say having seen other images, I do agree with your comments, the plane is far to big, and not enough details. That sums it up for me!

Thks for this caustic review :-D

I'll wait for the parts on bricklink.

I think you're a bit unfair with this small oversized submarine - oups sorry, I mean plane.

Here are some advantages I tried to imagine :

1. that's the first submarine with a plane nose,

2. That's the first unprinted nose,

3. That's the first shark that make me laugh, and which has a plain white fin

4. And at last, you should have notice that that the first submarine with a wing made of several plates

It is said that this set has more than 200 parts... Hide and seek ! X-D You may have lost several bags

I'm eager that people buy this set a lot : I'd like to buy a lot of these new white 4x4x2 curved slope for my MOCs.

Can you take a picture of the plane crashing in the sink ? Is it fire proof ?

I think that will be too easy this year to decide what is the crap of year ...

Great comments, ROFL, ROFL, ROFL. :-D :-D :-D Concerning last sentence - I have seen or built hundreds of different sets issued since 1980 until now, but this plane is really a hot candidate not only for Crap of the year, but for Crap of the decade...

Last two days I thought about the sense of this set, and, finally, I was enlighted - I must call to my folks living in a small village, I am pretty sure, that they will be happy for a new house for their pullets.

Edited by Kanal-K1

i have to agree with almost all of the replies here that This set is the most ugliest looking Lego Set I have ever seen. If I have never seen this set, and ppl showed it to me, I would have thought it would be some little kid's MOC or something (no offence!)

Huge <insert that tiresome argument> pieces, bad color theme (i would say it would look better if the wing is white), no interior and huge DSS! I will avoid this set like the plague. I own the entire CITY line (except for the airport) and planning to get all the CITY stuff that Lego releases. But, this set will ruin my plans coz I will avoid it... unless someone gives it to me for free. haha *wacko*

Boo LEGO BOO! :-X

:-D - great picture

Agreed! :-D :-D Wonderful review, now I'll never even consider getting this set (not that I did before... X-D). Thanks for your insight!

~Peace

I'll probably get the nice green Cargo plane. But not this.

How can the same hull pieces be used for full size jets and what's supposed to be a small seaplane.

What I don't understand is what sort of crime this seaplane is exactly designed to fight that the multitude of other crimefighters in Lego City can't handle.

This still looks like a cool set but the price not so much.

Do all lego police set come with the polizei option or just ones from europe i have not bought a police set in years.

Edited by LEGOMAN132

Do all lego police set come with the polizei option or just ones from europe i have not bought a police set in years.

LEGOMAN, why are you kicking a topic from the beginning of this year with such an irrelevant reply after all?!

The price is now €20 in Ireland on S@H, which is reasonable considering the large fuselage pieces. Has anyone modded this set to make a reasonable looking plane? I am thinking of buy it to do so, but I don't want to take a risk and end up with lots of useless pieces. Aswell as -€20.