Sign in to follow this  
Jason C. Hand

Micro-Scale Philadelphia City Hall

Hello again all.

I am trying to see if I can get something going for a potential LEGO Architecture set dedicated to the City of Philadelphia. As such, here is what I have for now: a micro build of City Hall.

31551859986_bd5be84a2a_b.jpg

31442735602_1298f59508_b.jpg

Some photos for reference:

Arch-2.1.jpg

3city-hall-philadelphia-philadelphia.jpg

21_philadelphia_city_hall_lg.jpg

Brief History: Constructed from  1871 to 1901, $24 million. Houses 700 rooms, including the Mayor's office and chambers for criminal justice and municipal judges. The building is topped off by

37 ft, 27-ton bronze statue of William Penn, founder of the City of Philadelphia. All four sides of the tower feature clocks that are 26 ft in diameter.

As for the LEGO model, I've posted one in light yellow and the other in phosphorescent white. Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

I've been around this building many times, and I am just not seeing it in your mini-build.  On the other hand, not sure how to approach this at the scale you are working on - some profile bricks or grills may help?

Good luck and keep us updated with your Philadelphia build.  Are you going to do the Art Museum, Boat House Row, Independance Hall, or the "LOVE" sculpture?

A plate for the bottom might help in realism as well as the tower is offset from the outer portions of the building, its connected but more in the center and that may also help. I agree with JGW3000 some profile bricks or plates may help as well. As a municipal building it is simply massive so it may not hurt to go up just a tad in scale. 

Philadelphia City Hall is my favorite building in the world and I love any attempt to build it with Lego so its a good start. Minifigure-scale would be insane. 

1 hour ago, koalayummies said:

A plate for the bottom might help in realism as well as the tower is offset from the outer portions of the building, its connected but more in the center and that may also help. I agree with JGW3000 some profile bricks or plates may help as well. As a municipal building it is simply massive so it may not hurt to go up just a tad in scale. 

Philadelphia City Hall is my favorite building in the world and I love any attempt to build it with Lego so its a good start. Minifigure-scale would be insane. 

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

I've been around this building many times, and I am just not seeing it in your mini-build.  On the other hand, not sure how to approach this at the scale you are working on - some profile bricks or grills may help?

Good luck and keep us updated with your Philadelphia build.  Are you going to do the Art Museum, Boat House Row, Independance Hall, or the "LOVE" sculpture?

Ok, thanks guys. I will probably go somewhat bigger with this model.

1 hour ago, JGW3000 said:

I am looking to do the Art Museum, Liberty One and Independence Hall at some point. Maybe even the Comcast(!) Center.

This scale is really challenging and I think you are off to a good start.  The overall massing (architecture speak for proportions and general shape) is pretty good.  One possible enhancement is to consider using a jumper plate to make the center-most 3 studs of the front facade come forward by 1/2 plate.  

Great start for a "skylines" style model alongside other Philadelphia landmarks.

Sincerely

---Tom Alphin

On 12/13/2016 at 1:47 AM, henrysunset said:

This scale is really challenging and I think you are off to a good start.  The overall massing (architecture speak for proportions and general shape) is pretty good.  One possible enhancement is to consider using a jumper plate to make the center-most 3 studs of the front facade come forward by 1/2 plate.  

Great start for a "skylines" style model alongside other Philadelphia landmarks.

Sincerely

---Tom Alphin

Thanks for the tip, friend!