Veynom

[MOD] Republic TX-130 Saber Tank

Today I propose a colour variant of the 7679 Republic Fighter Tank set.

I wanted to create a version of this tank that would have been in active service during the first years of the Galactic Empire, immediately after the Clone War's end and the Republic's fall.

Based on the model visible in the Star Wars Commander video game, I decided to go with a bi-colour paint-scheme based on light and dark blueish greys, similar to some existing camouflage patterns.

Some details have been added here and there compared to the original model. In no particular order, I will list:
- extra detailing on the side wings;
- on the side turrets;
- engine panel and tank "nose";
- tank sides that are slightly rounded.

Playable features are still there and complete :
- rear door that can lock or free the tank leader seat;
- flickr misslies under the side wings;
- detailed inside allowing room for a pilot and tank leader;
- engine is accessible (and detailed)
- compartments are available in the side wings to store hand weapons or tools;
- rotating turrets
- and the tank has wheels to easily move (and crush rebels) - yet, I do not intend to motorize it as it is too large to go on my 12V train track layout

And a small engine maintenance operation:
31427748912_85e50efb67_c.jpg
TX-130 Saber-class fighter tank by Veynom, on Flickr

Hope you like it.
Personally, I can confirm it looks quietly aggressive and the camouflage pattern works fine. Hard to really understand the tank shape when on grey baseplates. :) 

Now that's a tank the one from the movies[rogue one] and lego  version is more like a light assault [scouting] vehicle. Well done  !!

Edited by KevinYoung

It's a good thing you add some play features. And these Imperial tank pilots fits very well on that MOC.

Good job (one more time) !

Hm, have this vehicle been canonized? As in, is it considered canon as part of the Disney timeline, or is just part of the Legends nowadays. I definitely remember seeing in the Battlefront II, and I think that was it. Or am I missing something?

Thank you all for the nice comments. :)

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:31 PM, ChiefPie said:

Looks great but to me there are too many dark grey bricks.

This is a deliberate choice. I was not building a light grey tank with only a couple of details in dark grey. I built a tank with a modern camouflage pattern. And I can confirm it is effective when the tank is on a base plates among other vehicles or facilities, you do not distinguish its shape correctly. :)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:34 AM, Gregory said:

Hm, have this vehicle been canonized? As in, is it considered canon as part of the Disney timeline, or is just part of the Legends nowadays. I definitely remember seeing in the Battlefront II, and I think that was it. Or am I missing something?

According to Wookieepedia, it is not flagged as "Legend".

The canon universe is re-using a lot of Legend materials when it comes to ships and vehicles. In SW Rebels season II, the Quasar Fire-class carrier is another example. 

Edited by Veynom
typo

Awesome job! I'm bricklinking this set and changing the colors like yours!! So cool!!

Edited by jhaigh22

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 9:55 PM, jhaigh22 said:

Awesome job! Do you have instructions for it? I'd love to build one...

Simply take the instructions of the 7679 and change all colours to grey. :)

Really nice! I thought this would be a great idea, but it seemed like too much trouble. Glad someone else did it - your modifications look really nice. I might have to try it myself now!