Hello everybody!
First of all I'm new to this forum so Hi everybody :) For past 2, or 3 years I was playing with making best rc car from lego. I have made a lot of projects of random cars. It starts when I realize that I can plug PF small motor to my receiver from remote controlled helicopter. Yeah this project will not include traditional PF IR control or something along those lines. And also I'll probably customize some parts so if anyone is offended by stuff like this, just don't be too harass for me :)

So, plan is to make lego drift car. Yup actual RWD drift car that slides like every other rc cars (okay maybe a bit sloppyer). My inspiration here is Toyota AE86. I started making chassis:

DSC_0005

It was actually hard to figure out. I needed to make pretty big steering angle, and good way to control it. Also I modified pf small motor, by replacing dc motor in it for much stronger, and faster one. This motor needs gear reduction (I find 1:9 works the best), so I made small simple "gearbox" behind that seat.

DSC_0006

In the back, we have live axle with "welded" diff :) I also swap springs with Technic hoses for stiffness. It's only for tests, if I like it I'll probably do the same in front. Everything will came out after tests, but I'm currently waiting for tires.

DSC_0008

This is the steering angle that i end up with. It's not ideal(yeah I would like even more angle), but It will work for this build.

That's all of my progress so far. Everything still is a prototype, I'll probably end up changing a lot. I also hope that I have enough parts to finish this build.
If you have any questions feel free to ask them. I'd love to hear some feedback from you.
Take care everybody!

Edited by dziadziosamozlo

I really like what I see, the hoses for springs is a cool method that I only saw few times and I think that the chassis is nice.
You will probably have some flex if you keep the 1 layer of beams with your bodywork. 
I also like the caster and steering angle.

Do you know what type of body it will be, e.g.: no gaps or contour lines with flex axles?

I think the ae86 a good choice as it is a iconic yet smaller drift car.

Tibivi

Edited by tibivi

2 hours ago, tibivi said:

I really like what I see, the hoses for springs is a cool method that I only saw few times and I think that the chassis is nice.
You will probably have some flex if you keep the 1 layer of beams with your bodywork. 
I also like the caster and steering angle.

Do you know what type of body it will be, e.g.: no gaps or contour lines with flex axles?

I think the ae86 a good choice as it is a iconic yet smaller drift car.

Tibivi

Thanks for good words, I'll try to make body solid, using liftarms and panels, probably some bricks as well for details (if any), flex axles only as fenders, because I don't have many. And chassis will be reinforced for sure :)

Very interesting so far , I'm not sure how a single layer of beams willl hold up , have in mind that the flex you have now may not dissapear even if a solid bodywork is added .

I'm hoping to see that Corolla finished!

P.S Please correct "legos" to "lego pieces" or "pieces" or "parts"  :)

Edited by LXF

27 minutes ago, LXF said:

Very interesting so far , I'm not sure how a single layer of beams willl hold up , have in mind that the flex you have now may not dissapear even if a solid bodywork is added .

I'm hoping to see that Corolla finished!

P.S Please correct "legos" to "lego pieces" or "pieces" or "parts"

Corrected :)
Chassis will be reinforced don't you all worry!

I like that you swapped out the springs for hoses. it looks like it would work well! I might try that. Good luck!

M-kay, so I spent whole sunday :look: on this build, because I got excited after making this topic. 
I changed suspension in the back, old setup wasn't working correctly. So I came up with this:

DSC_0002

And to pull this off I had to make some slicing... 
(warning pic in the spoiler could cause heart attack)

Spoiler

DSC_0001

Don't yell please. It's possible to replace it with this http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=15459 ,but I have none left. I also chopped second linkage to use for the steering.

I reinforced the chassis, and lowered front suspension setup for better alignment(also swapped springs with hoses). Put motor in place, and wired it up to this crazy contraption that mechanically changes direction of the motor.
Did some bodywork in the back, it's not best but works for me(for now at least) 

And here is a gif of how steering will work:
giphy.gif

Nice! The steering angle is pretty good. I also like the fact you've replaced the springs for the hoses but now I guess they don't work properly. Nice progress so far.

Nice, I was going to change the electric motors in some of my motors. Actually I did this change in one of my l motors, I used one from my rc buggy motors:) Could you give us more details what motor have you choosen, and where to get it from please?

6 hours ago, Kmuffin said:

Nice! The steering angle is pretty good. I also like the fact you've replaced the springs for the hoses but now I guess they don't work properly. Nice progress so far.

No, they still works. I just made my own struts.

strut

3 hours ago, Jantayg said:

Nice, I was going to change the electric motors in some of my motors. Actually I did this change in one of my l motors, I used one from my rc buggy motors:) Could you give us more details what motor have you choosen, and where to get it from please?

I put this exact motor in. It's same in width as lego one, just a bit longer. So I had to make some modifications to the housing(I cut the back off, and also made some holes for better cooling). And i throw out that planetary gearbox that's in the motor, because i managed to blow it up with stronger motor, it worked well tho(for few days).
I'm sure any other motor would work as well, just find one with similar diameters, I just had that one laying around so I used it. But remember that putting lego axles on that 2mm shaft from dc motor is really pain in the a**, they never want to work with you.