cehnot

[MOC] The X-Wing Strikes Back

I guess they'll have to stay at Bricksafe.  Good thing I already downloaded your last version!  I wonder what the next shoe to drop at Bricklink will be.

Edited by icm
Punctuation

I will probably start transferring everything to that place from now on. That is a good idea. 

Back on topic...parts are shipping to me now. I have 5 different orders coming. I grouped other designs into my orders (stand, torn display, etc) so it may be a few weeks until I sort through the parts and put them in different bags and container boxes for various projects. 

I finished the wings and engines. Worked on the gearbox and rear body. The side panels need reworked. I realize now I need to fix things. At some point I deleted critical parts to attach the plates that fit in the panels. These plates had 2 connection points before I built an internal frame and I must have hid them to work on other areas.

The frame inside the front side panels may need to go away in order to properly connect them.

My file has been updated, but I am not going to release it until I am quite happy with the updates. The new wing structure works better than my original. I modified the gearbox to use a thicker gear because of loose parts shifting inside  I only had to raise it 1 brick to get a fatter gear to fit. This did not affect the size or shape. I had plenty of space to make adjustments. 

I will share photos of the WIP later this week if I solve the side panels. 

still waiting for parts to complete the side panels. Made 9 different orders and missing 4. Fortunately I ordered things based on sections so I could build each area and modify it as I need. The file does contain new changes and solutions such as a more detailed internal engine area below and behind the r2 unit seen in the cutaway drawings. 

Edited by cehnot

Exciting and can't wait to see the next iteration, I love seeing the magic of people's WIP and thinking, especially when the end models are so awesome.

DOWNLOAD VERSION 3 FILE HERE

I successfully rebuilt the x-wing. I plan on taking some photos soon. The Version 3 file has been updated. 

What does the new version fix?

• Stronger side panels
  • Fixed connections I forgot to include to side panels (several ares did not connect to the ship at all)
  • Reinforced cockpit
  • Redesigned R2 Compartment area to connect the side panels tot he main structure. 
  • New reinforced nose connection
  • Stronger frame and internal structure
  • Finalized cutaway x-wing parts

I admit, the area where the life support is probably one of my better solutions. By flipping the 1 stud hinge upside down and sticking a cut hose inside 2 reversed round plates with holes you get a strong hold, but also used 2 modified plates with clips on both sides. One set flipped upside down with the hinge plate. They are connected to two other clips via 1 stud long 3mm cut hoses. This whole new Cockpit and Astromech area keeps the high at the right height to connect to the side panels without forcing them downward like my last version.

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_2.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_3.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_4.jpg

Right behind the seat you can see some clips (2 on each side). Add a 1 stud long 3mm hose to secure connection. Behind the seat you will find 4 1x1 round plates with holes flipped on top of each other. Add a 1 stud long 3mm hose inside them to keep them together. The photo below shows 4 red hoses to mark where you need to place the cut hose to secure the sections mentioned above. 

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_8.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_6.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_7.jpg

Edited by cehnot

4 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

I'm loving it :)

But 

Page could not be found 

Either this page does not exist, or you do not have access to view it.

:sad:

I realized Bricksafe needs a page to select. It should link to the page to download the file from now.

DOWNLOAD VERSION 3 X-WING HERE

ALSO,

Visit my Studio Gallery if you cannot find the download page:

My Studio X-Wing Version 3 Gallery

I learned a hard lesson using that stand. My x-wing fell forward and crashed onto the floor. I didn't account for all the weight in the front of the ship. Either I need to use axles through the entire stand running into the ship or thicken the stand and add technic bricks with reinforced lift arms. I am redesigning the peg and stick portion of the stand to account for this mishap. The good news I found out how durable the vehicle is falling from a 4ft drop. The ion cannons flew off, 2 jet engines fell off and all 4 thrusters, the side panels broke where they connect to plates and the nose came off. The frame and side panels from the torpedo holes to the rear of the ship stayed together. 

The ship can be held in front of the windscreen. I have done thin plenty of times while building the model. I grabbed it from this area when doing the photography and repositioning it on its thrusters. The ship can be swooshed just fine. I tested it this. If you do recreate a turbulence effect then expect the ion cannons to fall off of my design in the photos. The old boxy ion cannons seen in my Studio file are solid and do not fall off as much. 

Edited by cehnot