cehnot

[MOC] The X-Wing Strikes Back

I guess they'll have to stay at Bricksafe.  Good thing I already downloaded your last version!  I wonder what the next shoe to drop at Bricklink will be.

Edited by icm
Punctuation

I will probably start transferring everything to that place from now on. That is a good idea. 

Back on topic...parts are shipping to me now. I have 5 different orders coming. I grouped other designs into my orders (stand, torn display, etc) so it may be a few weeks until I sort through the parts and put them in different bags and container boxes for various projects. 

I finished the wings and engines. Worked on the gearbox and rear body. The side panels need reworked. I realize now I need to fix things. At some point I deleted critical parts to attach the plates that fit in the panels. These plates had 2 connection points before I built an internal frame and I must have hid them to work on other areas.

The frame inside the front side panels may need to go away in order to properly connect them.

My file has been updated, but I am not going to release it until I am quite happy with the updates. The new wing structure works better than my original. I modified the gearbox to use a thicker gear because of loose parts shifting inside  I only had to raise it 1 brick to get a fatter gear to fit. This did not affect the size or shape. I had plenty of space to make adjustments. 

I will share photos of the WIP later this week if I solve the side panels. 

still waiting for parts to complete the side panels. Made 9 different orders and missing 4. Fortunately I ordered things based on sections so I could build each area and modify it as I need. The file does contain new changes and solutions such as a more detailed internal engine area below and behind the r2 unit seen in the cutaway drawings. 

Edited by cehnot

Exciting and can't wait to see the next iteration, I love seeing the magic of people's WIP and thinking, especially when the end models are so awesome.

DOWNLOAD VERSION 3 FILE HERE

I successfully rebuilt the x-wing. I plan on taking some photos soon. The Version 3 file has been updated. 

What does the new version fix?

• Stronger side panels
  • Fixed connections I forgot to include to side panels (several ares did not connect to the ship at all)
  • Reinforced cockpit
  • Redesigned R2 Compartment area to connect the side panels tot he main structure. 
  • New reinforced nose connection
  • Stronger frame and internal structure
  • Finalized cutaway x-wing parts

I admit, the area where the life support is probably one of my better solutions. By flipping the 1 stud hinge upside down and sticking a cut hose inside 2 reversed round plates with holes you get a strong hold, but also used 2 modified plates with clips on both sides. One set flipped upside down with the hinge plate. They are connected to two other clips via 1 stud long 3mm cut hoses. This whole new Cockpit and Astromech area keeps the high at the right height to connect to the side panels without forcing them downward like my last version.

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_2.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_3.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_4.jpg

Right behind the seat you can see some clips (2 on each side). Add a 1 stud long 3mm hose to secure connection. Behind the seat you will find 4 1x1 round plates with holes flipped on top of each other. Add a 1 stud long 3mm hose inside them to keep them together. The photo below shows 4 red hoses to mark where you need to place the cut hose to secure the sections mentioned above. 

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_8.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_6.jpg

ehnot_T65_Red5_group_011120_a_7.jpg

Edited by cehnot

4 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

I'm loving it :)

But 

Page could not be found 

Either this page does not exist, or you do not have access to view it.

:sad:

I realized Bricksafe needs a page to select. It should link to the page to download the file from now.

DOWNLOAD VERSION 3 X-WING HERE

ALSO,

Visit my Studio Gallery if you cannot find the download page:

My Studio X-Wing Version 3 Gallery

I learned a hard lesson using that stand. My x-wing fell forward and crashed onto the floor. I didn't account for all the weight in the front of the ship. Either I need to use axles through the entire stand running into the ship or thicken the stand and add technic bricks with reinforced lift arms. I am redesigning the peg and stick portion of the stand to account for this mishap. The good news I found out how durable the vehicle is falling from a 4ft drop. The ion cannons flew off, 2 jet engines fell off and all 4 thrusters, the side panels broke where they connect to plates and the nose came off. The frame and side panels from the torpedo holes to the rear of the ship stayed together. 

The ship can be held in front of the windscreen. I have done thin plenty of times while building the model. I grabbed it from this area when doing the photography and repositioning it on its thrusters. The ship can be swooshed just fine. I tested it this. If you do recreate a turbulence effect then expect the ion cannons to fall off of my design in the photos. The old boxy ion cannons seen in my Studio file are solid and do not fall off as much. 

Edited by cehnot

6 hours ago, Sir-Unicorn said:

Is there anywhere to download the digital file? I'd love to try and build this!

Private message me your email

Edited by cehnot

12 hours ago, macaron35 said:

Hi, how's the size of your MOC compared to the UCS set ?

to me this looks more comparable to something like the 2018 x-wing in terms of scale.

My X-wing design is about 42 bricks long, minifigs scale to 1:35. The build is slightly longer than the Official set, but scaled to match my other vehicle collection. It looks great next to the Falcon. I plan on doing a modified falcon like the forums or take the parts and make something closer to Marshal Bananas design. 

If you have any other questions feel free to ask or message me. 

If anybody needs the file private message me. I'll be sharing them thos week. For all other customizations I did in this thread, such as ion cannons, you can message me if you plan on doing this and I can share my experience with you. 

Hi, 

Could you share the model ? 

I have built Brickvault's one (which seems to be very inspired by yours btw) but I would love to re do some parts with yours. I particularly love the underside and the back.

On 10/24/2020 at 11:03 AM, David_G said:

Hi, 

Could you share the model ? 

I have built Brickvault's one (which seems to be very inspired by yours btw) but I would love to re do some parts with yours. I particularly love the underside and the back.

did we handle this? If not I will gladly help you out. 

5 hours ago, Jimbo57 said:

Is it possible to  DL the instruction? I can't find the files on Bricksafe?

I do not make instructions. All I offer is my digital file. I have grouped sections of the ship I found helpful when building different areas. I did not have it on bricksafe, but I will gladly offer them to you. I thought the file was on bricksafe, but I could be wrong.

I may just post a download link here. For now message me and I'll email you the files. 

5 hours ago, l0renZo said:

Bricksafe works fine for me.

Did the file work? If it's not listed I may just offer a link here for do. 

10 minutes ago, cehnot said:

did we handle this? If not I will gladly help you out. 

I do not make instructions. All I offer is my digital file. I have grouped sections of the ship I found helpful when building different areas. I did not have it on bricksafe, but I will gladly offer them to you. I thought the file was on bricksafe, but I could be wrong.

I may just post a download link here. For now message me and I'll email you the files. 

Did the file work? If it's not listed I may just offer a link here for do. 

Hey mate,

I was also unable to locate a working link. I messaged you in October to ask for the file. Can you check your Eurobricks inbox? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Tyutyu said:

Hey mate,

I was also unable to locate a working link. I messaged you in October to ask for the file. Can you check your Eurobricks inbox? Thanks.

The one place I seem to forget about. Checked and I have 14 messages. I'll handle them all today. 

I have not checked my messages for a while. I will message everybody the file that was finished in 2020. 

Jerec just released his new X-wing on Brickvault. I am mostly curious on his gearbox and if he came up with a better solution. Each of us came up with different solutions and the one problem we mostly faced was the foils expanding when we didn't want them to. Mostly because the center of our gearbox only has so much room inside the fuselage. I know that there ha e been so many new parts since I began this journey in 2016. I saw a screw technic used for stealing systems that may work and somebody messaged me that Jerec did this on his new model. I must say if he did then this gearbox issue would be resolved for everybody. The way we all did our wing connections have been different and I have seen a lot of plate designs turned sideways that would be more structurally sound for the wings. My wing design uses a lot of plates, but I always wanted to reduce the part count on the folding mechanism. 

I may revisit the ship now that Jerec released photos on his Flickr and brickvault is offering 50% off if you own the original file. I dupport these guys for their creative solutions. 

I will not make instructions for this ship because the collaborative efforts and suggestions I took from various builders when constructing this model I do not justify the effort entirely mine. There was a time when a dozen people were constructing x-wings and builders were swapping ideas and techniques.

With this said, I may revisit my model later this year, check parts made since 2016 and see if I have new options to alter my model. 

I am proud of the exterior design on the fuselage and wings so I would probably focus on revisiting the internal wall attachments and gearbox. 

The physical model has too many custom or modified parts on the ion cannons that won't be replicates in legal ways easily.

I do recommend purchasing Jerecs model since he said he reworked most of it and solved his structural issues. I checked out his photos on Flickr and it appears he redesigned the cockpit to a similar idea I used with the walls creating great angles to get control panels on the sides to angle in towards the pilot. He did use different solutions to the concept on the new model and I'll look forward to studying his new instructions to see what ideas he came up with and see if that would affect anything in the model I designed. 

Depending on the amount of changes and solutions I may not offer a new V4 file. If jerecs gearbox solution is able to work inside my model with modifications then I see no reason to deter people from purchasing his instructions. If the solution inspires me to design one that works with my model and does not resemble his box then I'll do a new file and make instructions available. 

I am wrapping up my 2 year pirate ship project and plan on making a pirate diorama, and move onto my long overdue ghostbusters firehouse now that I have all the 14,000+ parts. 

I would like to construct the new Mandelorian N-1 ship this year. I have seen so many builders trying different techniques to solve the dofficult subtle shapes. I never attempted the original one because I fell in love with Inthert design. I never built one before and with all the Lucasfilm files and photo reference for the model I think I would modify his model to fix the angles with all the newer parts that were created in the last few years. As for the new modified N-1 I am enjoying so many builder solutions that I think that I may tackle the project in my own way. The new LEGO set coming out has a few new parts on the engines that will be awesome to use on the custom moc. 

Come on, your rendition is different enough that even if you used my core it would still remain completely different. If I wanted it secret I wouldn't release instructions nor would I post it here on the forums ^^

y first x-wing used some ideas from other people, and this new generation uses ideas from the first one. 
With something built so often in the same scale, we're all bound to reuse someone else's ideas. So I say please release your own instructions, paid or not, but do so! 

Edited by Jerac