cehnot

[MOC] The X-Wing Strikes Back

Wow guys, what an excellent model!  I remember stumbling on Inthert's X-wing some months ago and thinking that it was the best representation I have ever seen.  I even went as far as creating it in LDD as well as a physical model but this collaboration takes it to the next level!  Very impressive!  I'm going to to have to build me a real one.  Thanks for all the hard work everyone has put into this!

Hello !

Did the real brick build goes well ? :)
Just a question : which wing mechanism do you think will be the strongest ? The gear mechanism or the other ?

Thanks !
Ramses25

9 hours ago, Ramses25 said:

Hello !

Did the real brick build goes well ? :)
Just a question : which wing mechanism do you think will be the strongest ? The gear mechanism or the other ?

Thanks !
Ramses25

I just got my last order a few days ago. I bought parts to build both versions. I will construct them and test it and then share my results. My guess is the gears will hold up just fine even though I prefer the back of the xwing non gear version. I got my stickers from various models as well so the cockpitpit should look full as well ago the removed panels inside the ship. Spent way too much money on sticker sheets for various upcoming star war model builds.

23 minutes ago, cehnot said:

My guess is the gears will hold up just fine even though I prefer the back of the xwing non gear version.

Same thing ^^ That's why I asked ;)
Thank you for testing both of them. Can't wait to see them in real bricks ! Good luck with them ;)

Ramses25

Hey, I'm working on building this in bricks and it's a wonderful model. Thanks so much for posting! Something I'm having trouble with right now is the nose... How do the two cheese slopes attach? Thanks again!

nose cone.JPG

With two minifig hands I think? At least thats What I Did, since The model is inspired of Inherts build :)

Although I love the model as it is, I have started to dumb it down to save cash and to use parts that I already payed for once .I would like to use as many parts from my 9493 as possible. I am hoping that the use of 30355 / 30356 will give a more solid wing structure while the shape change is hardly visible. With the use of a single 58181 per wing,  I am able to substitute a ton of parts.

It's a very interesting and fun model to build. I realised I actually had all the parts and put a working model together over Xmas and New Year. The proportions are very impressive and accurate. Unfortunately it does have one or two stability issues and certain angles and connections that work in LDD are problematic in reality. I would be interested to see how you have managed putting it together Cehnot. I am busy on my UCS Zeta-Class Cargo Shuttle at the moment so I have not taken any photos as yet.

On 1/26/2017 at 6:22 AM, hadokn said:

Hey, I'm working on building this in bricks and it's a wonderful model. Thanks so much for posting! Something I'm having trouble with right now is the nose... How do the two cheese slopes attach? Thanks again!

nose cone.JPG

I am using 2 mini fig hands. 

The build is slowly coming along. I deleted the wings just to focus on building the main fuselage section. 

16 hours ago, Tyutyu said:

Although I love the model as it is, I have started to dumb it down to save cash and to use parts that I already payed for once .I would like to use as many parts from my 9493 as possible. I am hoping that the use of 30355 / 30356 will give a more solid wing structure while the shape change is hardly visible. With the use of a single 58181 per wing,  I am able to substitute a ton of parts.

I can understand wanting to make it more durable. I am doing the wings last. I think you need to post your updates on this. 

I am building via LDD build mode. I am about 1/2 done with the fuselage. Even with all the grouped file parts, I wish it would help make the generated instructions work better. I have a lot of random parts built. 

I may spend a whole day later this week to work on it. 

8 minutes ago, Renegade Clone said:

It's a very interesting and fun model to build. I realised I actually had all the parts and put a working model together over Xmas and New Year. The proportions are very impressive and accurate. Unfortunately it does have one or two stability issues and certain angles and connections that work in LDD are problematic in reality. I would be interested to see how you have managed putting it together Cehnot. I am busy on my UCS Zeta-Class Cargo Shuttle at the moment so I have not taken any photos as yet.

When you have time could you post photos and show us the issues after you work on the shuttle? Right now I am working on mine. Hoping to have it done over the next week. I think I know where you may be having stability issues. I will post pics soon.

Edited by cehnot

Tyutyu_X_Wing_New_wing_design

New wing design. The left side wing is my own. The right side wing is Cehnot's wing.

His wing is made of a ton of tiny parts. Mine is only 3 big plates + tiles on top.

It might not be as movie accurate, but it will be strong so if my kids knock it over, it will be easy to rebuild it.

The other reason is to use as many parts from my existing Lego 9493 X-wing as possible to cut the price a bit.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:41 AM, Tyutyu said:

Tyutyu_X_Wing_New_wing_design

New wing design. The left side wing is my own. The right side wing is Cehnot's wing.

His wing is made of a ton of tiny parts. Mine is only 3 big plates + tiles on top.

It might not be as movie accurate, but it will be strong so if my kids knock it over, it will be easy to rebuild it.

The other reason is to use as many parts from my existing Lego 9493 X-wing as possible to cut the price a bit.

Having just attempted the first wing using Cehnot's design, I'd be thrilled to see how you did this. Cehnot's may look excellent, but the whole wing is held together rather poorly by 4 studs, all of which are connected to tiles, so they aren't the best join.

I'll push on and see how the rest of the build holds up outside LDD.

Depending on what cehnot kept from my wing design, I may be to blame. To be fair, I did warn the whole thing was built for its good look as a priority.

If you want to make them sturdier, you can :

- replace the 3 small wedges (4 studs) at the rear by a single big one (12 studs). The angle is wrong though.

- modify the red pattern (like Tyutyu did)

- get rid of the gray plates underneath. They are the main reason the wings are flimsy.

The way the engines are attached should also be improved (again, my fault). I wanted these gray half cylinders to show inside the engines, and couldn't find a better way.

Cehnot, I can't wait to see the pictures of the real thing. I hope reality is kind with your build (it gave me a hard time with mine).

Thank for addressing caboosforlife's question Gray_Mouser. Real life matters are not letting me spend as much time with this topis as I would like.

My version wing is just a visually improved 9493 wing, but I have not yet attached it to the hinges that make up the center axis so I don't know if the connection will be as strong as I want.
If you guys manage to figure it out faster or in a better way, I will gladly steal...er emulate the design :pir-sweet: I will also try to get back to this asap.

I like the way you say its your fault. I am all hats off for everyones involment in this. If faults got us here then I welcome them. Lets see more of them :)

Ok! I finished, and I love this thing. I plan to take better photos and make a stand when I have some time. I did end up using a mixture of new and old grays and some faded white pieces, you're right, it really ends up looking nice and weathered. Thanks so much for sharing your file!

Incom T-65 X-Wing

I got about halfway into the fuselage steps and realized I never ordered a large chunk of pieces. They should be arriving soon. I did worry about the wing construction. I am debating on making a mod where they are with larger white tiles instead of red tiles representing the red 2, 5 etc markings. this may help. Though it would mean the red markings would be stickers. Sorry for the delay. 

If I come up with a better solution I will post it and update my LDD file. I have already been modifying the side panels near the cockpit. Mainly for durability. I will post pictures soon.

Edited by cehnot

My version is slowly coming together. After the wing mod which can be done using a lot (80%) of 9493 parts, I tried the same approach with the gun pods. I made 2 versions. One with about 40% 9493 parts and another with about 60% taken from the 9493. The 40% version is more color accurate with all Light Bley, while the 60% version is a mix of Dark Bley and Light Bley, but more "free" parts if you already own a 9493 :wink:

At the moment I don't see any more sections where I could squeeze in more 9493 parts while keeping the current shapes but I will keep my eyes open in my next LDD session.

Edit: I also just found out that a huge chunk of missing parts (Curved sloped belly, tiles, engine intakes) are all there in my  Imperial Shuttle Tydirium set (75094)

Edited by Tyutyu

Have you worked on the custom canopy yet? If so could you tell me what tools you are working with?
I'm working on a canopy myself and cutting the diferent parts with an exacto knife proved to be very time consuming. For now I cut a rough shape with a wire cutter prior to using the exacto knife and and filing but I hope there's a better technique...

I like the very slick smooth design, and how accurate it is to the actual X-Wing itself.

I took a break to get back to focusing on my job. I just finished with getting my stickers for my mack 5, echo 1, bttf deloreans and plan to add them onto my models first. I did, however get all my parts in for this build and about half way done with the fuselage. 

On April 23, 2017 at 6:31 PM, broesl said:

Have you worked on the custom canopy yet? If so could you tell me what tools you are working with?
I'm working on a canopy myself and cutting the diferent parts with an exacto knife proved to be very time consuming. For now I cut a rough shape with a wire cutter prior to using the exacto knife and and filing but I hope there's a better technique...

I have not started this, but I did get all the parts to build it. I am using going to start by using a x-acto box cutter knife, super fine sand paper to smooth down the edges and superglue the parts. I want to build a rough one first, then the final. I will post pictures of the build first, then update my concepts and work on the canopy. Sorry for the major delays.

I finally finished the prototype for my custom canopy. It's of course not the same one cehnot proposed but I guess it proves that the concept  works (even though my prototype looks very rough, will have to build a better one).

34365147985_e6e802ec79_b.jpg

Edited by broesl

I'm building a version based on your model to make use of bricks I have. I can't figure out how you are keeping the wings from collapsing back together under their own weight with the gear mechanism you have. Maybe it is just a balance issue?

12 hours ago, Scramble73 said:

I'm building a version based on your model to make use of bricks I have. I can't figure out how you are keeping the wings from collapsing back together under their own weight with the gear mechanism you have. Maybe it is just a balance issue?

I took a long break to focus on work and family. You are not the only one who messaged me about concerns. I spent month back and forth fixing the wings, the gear system and side panel issue on the main ship. 

I am finishing up the new ion cannons. I will post new photos of the final design in a week or two. I also will show detailed photos showing the changes I made. I will reverse engineer its build to fix the LDD file. 

Changes:

1. Two ball joint modified parts. Needed to sand down with a Dremel  to get more range of motion to ball joints. 

2. Completely redesigned side panels to fuselage. The new structure is more durable and holds together. This also uses several techniques that hold the side panels on the structure and reinforces the strength of the whole.

3. New cockpit design. The interior of the fuselage changed. I chose to make the interior structure not have a cross section. It can fit, but I have focused on getting the whole structure stronger. The cockpit has a nice cozy replica of the x-wing in LEGO form. Looking forward to sharing this.

4. The wing design. As a few people mentioned in earlier posts and several private messages I concur that the design simply does not work. I did not design the wings, just the gear system. Some people chose to use the 12 stud long wedge plate because of its strength and durability. I chose to use the same 4 stud long, but completely changes the type of tiles and plates. The under side of each wing in the real x-wing has 2 debossments. I currently use light bluish gray plates to show them. I customized hinge tops 1x2 and 2x2. I cut the hinge parts off and sanded them down. They work just as good as the 2x2 round turn table top as dmaclego uses. 

5. Ion cannon design. I saw an ion cannon design by dmaclego and I admit I have no idea how he kept it together without drilling a hole into the wheel wells where the hub cap is. I did this to all the wheels and I admit this allowed bars to go through. He used train axles and slid them into the ribbed 3mm hose. The older ribbed 3mm have an inside diameter that fits the axles. I am currently working on these, waiting for an order to complete. 

6. Gears. After looking at dmaclego I am trying a similar technic design because I want something that is stronger. Right now the current structure is okay. I just want to see how it fits in my current time model with a similar design he did. 

7. Stickers/paint. I have been collecting LEGO stickers from xwing sets and ucs xwing on bricklink. I also picked up a few other star wars based stickers. The point is, I didn't WA t them adhered to plates and tiles since I didn't know what parts I was going to use. The cockpit stickers from the US xwing works perfectly for this project. They include markings and such that will look nice all over. Painting only the ion cannon stripes since 4mm pneumatic hose does not work when cut into stripes. 

I apologize for all these issues. I wish I had more time to solve this sooner. 

The good news is you will all be able to build this model with little customizations. I am sure you guys could do different rogue squadron designs on the model. Or just use the current ion cannons. I just have an interest in more accuracy. 

On 2/12/2017 at 9:33 AM, Tyutyu said:

My version is slowly coming together. After the wing mod which can be done using a lot (80%) of 9493 parts, I tried the same approach with the gun pods. I made 2 versions. One with about 40% 9493 parts and another with about 60% taken from the 9493. The 40% version is more color accurate with all Light Bley, while the 60% version is a mix of Dark Bley and Light Bley, but more "free" parts if you already own a 9493 :wink:

At the moment I don't see any more sections where I could squeeze in more 9493 parts while keeping the current shapes but I will keep my eyes open in my next LDD session.

Edit: I also just found out that a huge chunk of missing parts (Curved sloped belly, tiles, engine intakes) are all there in my  Imperial Shuttle Tydirium set (75094)

I am sorry for the lack of updates. I know your WIP was a difficult one. I have the same frustrations. It's the downfall of LDD. I am updating this topic in a week or so once the last few part orders arrive and I solve the wing connection issue.