EDIT: Building instructions available: HERE

--------

I always wanted to build something different. Something not seen too much on EB.

Introducing my latest MOC: Snowmobile With SBrick.

31141550290_31f2c4a402_b.jpg

Inspiration

About two years ago I saw a video about Ski-Doo snowmobiles on YouTube. I really like the exterior design of its product and thought maybe I could build one in LEGO.

But I wasn’t skilled enough to finish it at that time so the project got suspended for a long time.

This finished MOC is not based on a specific model of Ski-Doo. It’s more like a combination of all my favorite parts from several models with my own thoughts blent in.

31512667225_85b2ccf148_b.jpg

Challenge: External Design

Unlike most conventional wheeled vehicles, a snowmobile usually has a more complex bodywork (except for supercars).

Considering its relatively small size, it’s even more difficult to recreate its aesthetics authentically. Some “illegal” connections are inevitable.

31141562690_191087e76d_b.jpg

31474934666_ee982e7b16_b.jpg

Challenge: Internal Design

An unconventional vehicle needs an unconventional framework.

Here is a screenshot from LDD showcasing the frame. Servo Motor is used as part of the structure.

31512645545_4256dd74ce_b.jpg

Another problem goes to Power Functions. How do I stack them inside the frame? Here is a cross section view of the model:

30671818134_6a2471c436_b.jpg

2 L Motors geared 3:5 for propulsion. 2 pairs of LEDs utilized for headlights and taillights.

Space is very limited, I have to use a pair of tweezers to tuck those cables.

Performance

Let’s take a look at a video:

On hard snows it works fine for most of the time. Also, front suspension responds quite well.

31366034742_cd21383327_b.jpg

31366028622_2d3a3efbef_b.jpg

Compromises

Due to aesthetics concern, Power Function parts were located at the front, which makes the model a bit front-heavy, resulting a relatively poor traction.

I wouldn’t dare try testing it on soft snow...

Also, the color scheme is a bummer. The white one is imperfect. Black one looks much better, but a bit dull. 

I still haven’t decided which color should I choose to make building instructions for...

31397247281_bfd5aa9215_b.jpg

31474924476_eb1e3acc08_b.jpg

31141554780_de91de78f5_b.jpg

31397285301_90925545ae_b.jpg

Last But Not Least

This is a little off-topic talk:

I just got to know about the Chinese company “LEPIN” and those dirty things they’ve done recently.

As one of the very few Mainland China users on Eurobricks myself, I feel sorry for what my fellow people have done to this world.

I feel sorry for Madoka.

The only thing I can do is to share my original works with you guys,

That’s the least I can contribute to this fantastic community.

Anyway, so much for the sentiment.

Hope you enjoy this MOC and stay tuned for the instructions. :classic:

Edited by KevinMoo

WOW! I love the design! So compact! And the use of the servo motor as a structural element is also really cool!

Cool.  What is the turning radius like?  It is hard to tell from the video since it was all close up shots. 

Great looking snowmobile, you definitely captured the flowing lines well. I think an rc motor would work quite well in this MOC :wink:.

Good work on hiding all the PF stuff! At first it didn't look like it could be motorised. The overall shape and proportions are on the spot too.

Both motorized functions and design are very original and very well done. Thanks for sharing!

15 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Cool.  What is the turning radius like? 

I used a combination of 7L gear rack and a 12-tooth gear for steering. But the gear rack’s travel is limited to 1 stud to the left or right. 

That is achieved by changing some parameters in the SBrick profile to prevent the Servo Motor from being damaged.

The reason behind this is that the 5x7 beam gets in the way. 

31377521632_d08d7c9be9_c.jpg

Turning radius is acceptable, but it depends on snow condition.

Edited by KevinMoo

I love how sleek it swooshes, and fantastic pictures - as usual! :thumbup:

14 hours ago, KevinMoo said:

This is a little off-topic talk:

You don't need to feel sorry. I like Chinese Lego fans, and I'm also a fan of your MOCs. Though I still can't accept LEPIN's way of using ideas of someone else for their products, I'm now thinking all that was inevitable results of sharing personal creations on internet.
Let's build new creations for creative people. :wink:

As always, very beautiful and clear pictures! I especially like your way showing internal structure. :wub: It is like a cut-in-half model in a auto show!

Beautiful MOC, the bodywork is amazing.

I don't think I would ever place a LiPo where snow can get to it though, on soft or had snow, maybe I'm just to cautious :hmpf:

1 hour ago, Madoca 1977 said:

You don't need to feel sorry. I like Chinese Lego fans, and I'm also a fan of your MOCs. Though I still can't accept LEPIN's way of using ideas of someone else for their products, I'm now thinking all that was inevitable results of sharing personal creations on internet.
Let's build new creations for creative people. :wink:

As always, very beautiful and clear pictures! I especially like your way showing internal structure. :wub: It is like a cut-in-half model in a auto show!

Thanks Madoka. I must say I have learned so much building techniques from your MOCs. As for the cut-in-half model, that is also inspired by your Baja Trophy Truck topic on Eurobricks. 

Anyway, hope you don’t lose interest in building more MOCs and share with all those people who really like your works. :sweet:

1 hour ago, JJ2 said:

maybe I'm just to cautious :hmpf:

Me too. Before I shoot the video, I applied some duct tape on all areas which would probably be exposed to snow.

30689782034_2ebd34111f_c.jpg

After about half an hour of outdoor test, the side close to the track got scratched by the studs on the track. Theoretically those studs won’t touch the Li-Po, and I didn’t notice that during indoor test.

That’s probably becuase the Li-Po was not firmly fixed to the frame, and bumpy snow road makes it wobble.

31383865132_5815f43b16_c.jpg

Edited by KevinMoo

A really good MOC, and I love the video on snow!  It performs very much like a real snowmobile.  The stiffness of the suspension looks just right.

For the photo instructions, I would recommend using the white version just because black can hide details in photographs.  On the other hand, your photos are always fantastic.