Ellisss_2

[UCS] [WIP] [MOC] Venator Class Star Destroyer

14 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

Very decent progress! I agree on longer tail, but not by that much. Three to four bricks longer and it should do the trick :)

Isn|t it possible to replace these two 4x4 45 degree wedge plates on the wings with single 8 by 8 one? You would get rid of this ugly cutout dent in there and also obtain more rigid construction.

Thank you, I am on it with the tail!

Great idea with the 8x8 wedge plate, I never thought about that, thanks!

Kind regards, Ellis.

:D I wondee how much of the image area is just background. For sure the model would fit in less than a quarter area. Perhaps if you only rendered the ship with 1/4 resolution , it would cut the time even further with the very same resulting detail ;)

Hello, all!

Just another update, pretty sure I am 100% happy with the model at this stage in time! The bridge area has been completely redesigned. The command bridges are inspired by @Anio's design and look much better now, thank you! The engines have been remade too, although you cannot see them very well in the image. The model also has some other small tweaks in places as well. Hopefully, it looks better, please comment to help me! :grin:

Thank you for reading,

kind regards, Ellis!

Edited by Ellisss_2

2 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

latest?cb=20110918171254

Hmm… looks great @Ellisss_2! Glad to hear you are satisfied with its looks (because it looks great :D ).

Plus you are cutting down the "blue void" around the ship :tongue::thumbup:

Thank you very much, I appreciate it!

Hello, all!

A huge update, in my opinion, the shape of the model is much more alike and scale to the Venator. I think the compositions are near perfect now, @krisandkris12?

The rear is much wider, I only had to make some slight alterations to the frame.

However, the model keeps on getting larger, much closer to Anio's version now. I guess the ISD scale I was trying to maintain is thrown out now. :hmpf_bad:

I have an order on the way from Pick a brick for the bridge.

Just thought I would include some specifications according to Bricklink's stud.io:

Width: 51.4 Studs

Length 103.2 Studs

Height: 29.7 Studs

Weight: 1.011kg

Pieces: 1737

Thank you for reading, 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

Now, Im not much of a Star Wars expert, but from what I observe, the model looks quite good.
Personally I cant see what could be changed with it.

Offcourse higher res pictures and more of them would help.
Looking forward to those ! :wink:

6 minutes ago, KlodsBrik said:

Now, Im not much of a Star Wars expert, but from what I observe, the model looks quite good.
Personally I cant see what could be changed with it.

Offcourse higher res pictures and more of them would help.
Looking forward to those ! :wink:

Thank you very much!

I am working on some higher res pictures, the problem I seem to be having is that only 10% of the image is the model and the rest empty space.

I can´t remember where I read this, but someone well known with LDD, wrote something like you could add an invisible brick somewhere around the edges to get a more perfect zoom.
Im not sure if I understanded you correct. Anyways, im pretty sure someone is around that will help you out with what to do.

Looking forward to those pictures. :wink:

KlodsBrik.

Looking good! I look forward to seeing the finished product. I am interested in building a venator myself, but I am gonna wait to see how Lgineering mods the QuiGon model before I get started.

Edited by VolcanoHands

Hello, @VolcanoHands, and welcome to the forums!

Firstly thank you! I am hoping to get my model finished for late March. 

If you are interested, the difference between my model and say Primus' or QuiGon's is that it is a quite a lot larger. Although it is larger I have maintaned detail, strength(which I am currently working on), scale and a low piece count 1900 bricks at the moment. 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Looks much better. I suggest that you  get rid of the dark red wedge plates. Instead. Have a rectangular sections with studs up, and on the sides, have tiles that are staggered to create the correct angle

^ Indeed that leads to better look, although it requires quite some rebuilding... If you opt to try, I suggest this technique I used on mu Venator, which actually gives you half-plate steps, resulting in pretty smooth (yet still staggered) line :)

LEGO Vetanor narrowing technique 2

4 hours ago, atlas said:

Looks much better. I suggest that you  get rid of the dark red wedge plates. Instead. Have a rectangular sections with studs up, and on the sides, have tiles that are staggered to create the correct angle

3 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

^ Indeed that leads to better look, although it requires quite some rebuilding... If you opt to try, I suggest this technique I used on mu Venator, which actually gives you half-plate steps, resulting in pretty smooth (yet still staggered) line :)

LEGO Vetanor narrowing technique 2

Thank you guys very much for the feedback! 

I will work on replacing the wedge plates with the method suggested, hopefully shouldn't require too much change.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Finally figured out how to render an image at 4k without tons of white space. Tell me what you think! 

On either Saturday or Sunday, I will post images of the updated physical build when my pieces arrive from Poland; hopefully the frame is sturdy this time round.

Venator Size Comparison

Edited by Ellisss_2

Just now, Ellisss_2 said:

Finally figured out how to render an image at 4k without tons of white space. Tell me what you think! 

LOL, yay! Your project also looks good close-up!

50 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

LOL, yay! Your project also looks good close-up!

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, NorvernRob said:

Looks fantastic, 103 studs long and only 1737 parts? That's seriously good if so.

Thank you! Since I have added details and improved the structural frame the piece count has increased to 2000.

Hello, all!

Physical Update #2

As I arrived home today, I decided to build my most up to date version of my Venator, as I thought it would be a quick and easy task.

However, this was not the case because of LDD's awful instruction generator, which caused me hours of confusion and delay. It has taken me 7 hours to build! Worth the wait however as with the upgrades I can pick it up and move it around without it falling to pieces. As you can probably tell there are still a lot of pieces missing especially at the rear tail and bridge. I have realised I need another support for the bridge section to stop it flexing slightly in the middle, I might also raise it by a stud or two

Thank you for reading and sorry for the bad photos!

Venator 2

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

Wow, looks good! I agree LDD's instructions generator is HORRIBLE. Fortunately I have never used it to build in real life. I look forward to your finished product!

18 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Wow, looks good! I agree LDD's instructions generator is HORRIBLE. Fortunately I have never used it to build in real life. I look forward to your finished product!

Thanks, you definitely don't want to use it for real life models let alone to see it virtually... I understand why people go to the trouble of creating proper instructions with multiple programs!