Ellisss_2

[UCS] [WIP] [MOC] Venator Class Star Destroyer

Hello, all!

Here is my UCS Venator Class Star Destroyer, I began this project back in 2016 and it is near completion. Instructions will soon be available, look further into the thread to find examples. Here is the old thread if anyone is interested: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/123296-ucs-wip-moc-venator-class-star-destroyer/ 

Update:  Here is the current model as of today (15/02/18)!

Stage%204.png

Picture1.png

Stage%204%20%231.png

Thanks, Ellis :)

Edited by Ellisss_2

2 hours ago, Kamil Z said:

Looking great so far! May I ask if  it is in scale to the UCS Star Destroyer?

Thanks! And no it's not to scale :(

Hello again, well, since it is nearly exactly the same scale as the Primus' venator design, it actually indeed IS in perfect scale with UCS ISD... :)

On 09/12/2016 at 11:15 PM, krisandkris12 said:

Hello again, well, since it is nearly exactly the same scale as the Primus' venator design, it actually indeed IS in perfect scale with UCS ISD... :)

Oh ahah, sorry Kamil Z. I guess it is to scale. 

I know it is not much, but I have begun work on the triangular plating. I am doing the top plating first, as I haven't decided how to mount the bottom plating just yet! 

Edited by Ellisss_2

I have realized there is a problem with the triangular plating, it begins to overhang further the further along the fuselage you go. Will this be a noticeable problem when built? Also how can I fix this, any suggestions? I have a feeling this is not going to be easy to fix :wacko:

Edited by Ellisss_2

The issue with uneven overhang is caused by some slight error in geometry of your construction. There can be two reasons for this in general - either the vertical slope of the hull or the horizontal slope of the 'greebling' sides is insufficient. From the sideview, it looks that your horizontal slope is quite alright, perhaps only a touch to small. So I guess you didnt taper the sides enough.

Given that your geometry otherwise works (meanimg that there arent any skewed parts, everything fits neatly) and you want to avoid changing it, the easiest solution to this I see is jtust to progressively add up the layers of plates underneath the greebling as you approach the back of the ship, so that compensates for the enlarging overhang of the hull plate.

Also, by the way, if you ever aim to building this irl, you might want to substitute for these outdated hinge plates you currently use for mounting the side panels fo the center part of the hull. You still can get these used from BrickLink but i think it's way easier to simply use some newer substitutes.

9 hours ago, krisandkris12 said:

The issue with uneven overhang is caused by some slight error in geometry of your construction. There can be two reasons for this in general - either the vertical slope of the hull or the horizontal slope of the 'greebling' sides is insufficient. From the sideview, it looks that your horizontal slope is quite alright, perhaps only a touch to small. So I guess you didnt taper the sides enough.

Given that your geometry otherwise works (meanimg that there arent any skewed parts, everything fits neatly) and you want to avoid changing it, the easiest solution to this I see is jtust to progressively add up the layers of plates underneath the greebling as you approach the back of the ship, so that compensates for the enlarging overhang of the hull plate.

Also, by the way, if you ever aim to building this irl, you might want to substitute for these outdated hinge plates you currently use for mounting the side panels fo the center part of the hull. You still can get these used from BrickLink but i think it's way easier to simply use some newer substitutes.

Thank you for yor reply. I will most likely end up changing the horizontal shape of the greebling to match the plating, otherwise it will not be as accurate as I was hoping for. Hopefully I will be able to fix this :)

Hello! I have begun to plate my Venator, once it is done and works, I'll start purchasing the parts. Please leave feedback so I can improve my model! 

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

This looks awesome! I don't think there's much criticism to be had about it, the shaping and detail is pretty accurate. My only gripe is the shaping of the back end, it could stand to stick out a bit farther. You could fix that with an extra 3x3 45 degree slope plates underlapping the back ones by two studs. Or maybe by replacing those slope plates with some 2x3 ones, which would match the larger angle on the back wings.

latest?cb=20110918171254

Here's what I assume is your current plating over it.

9YVQ2PC.png

And here are my two solutions - keep in mind I'm not that advanced a builder. Everything I do is in LDD for lack of job and physical parts.8E3752R.png

You could extend it with an extra of the same plate, though this would require you to lay a skin two plates thick, or mount the entire section a plate higher on your hinge assembly.

8gyPo9n.png

Or you could rebuild that section of plating with 2x3 slopes, which is what I would do. This is rather rudimentary as I don't know your build, and I just quickly mocked this up, but it could work. Especially in comparison to the pic of an actual Venator.

@Lego Dino 500 Thank you!

I will alter the plating at the back!

The problem with myself sometimes is that I try and do bits her and there from memory, I need a second monitor I think for images :laugh:

Kind regards, Ellis.

This looks really good and I envy those that take on such a sizeable project to success. Yours looks to be easily worthy, good job so far, I look forward to seeing it complete! 

One thing that I have noticed purely because of what was just pointed out about the back wings and can be seen in the pictures, you can see they actually stick out further than the back corner of the front section, if you know what I mean?

Additionally, the area right inbetween, where the little landing bay is, appears too long on your one. It appears as though those back wings should end up being longer from length going front to rear, than the little area between is. But I am saying that purely judging by the linked source picture. 

3 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

This looks really good and I envy those that take on such a sizeable project to success. Yours looks to be easily worthy, good job so far, I look forward to seeing it complete! 

One thing that I have noticed purely because of what was just pointed out about the back wings and can be seen in the pictures, you can see they actually stick out further than the back corner of the front section, if you know what I mean?

Additionally, the area right inbetween, where the little landing bay is, appears too long on your one. It appears as though those back wings should end up being longer from length going front to rear, than the little area between is. But I am saying that purely judging by the linked source picture. 

Thank you, I am pleased you like it so far!

With the wings it definitely looks like they need changing. I'll take a look at some reference images and redesign them. I would agree with what you said.

Kind regards, Ellis.

Hint : slope 4x1 does exist in LBG.

5 hours ago, Anio said:

Hint : slope 4x1 does exist in LBG.

Ok, thank you dude, what about in old grey?

Kind regards, Ellis.

Anio already pointed this out to you in your original topic. It is about the command bridge tower. People keep blindly copying Primus design, which was developed in 2013 when no 1x4 slopes existed in gray. Now they do come in LBG so there is no point in having these ugly steps.

On 13. 3. 2016 at 6:11 PM, Anio said:

Go for LBG slopes 4x1 on the tower.

They are available in that color for about 1 year.

38 minutes ago, krisandkris12 said:

Anio already pointed this out to you in your original topic. It is about the command bridge tower. People keep blindly copying Primus design, which was developed in 2013 when no 1x4 slopes existed in gray. Now they do come in LBG so there is no point in having these ugly steps.

Oh, ok thank you for elaborating. 

Kind regards, Ellis.

I have ordered the bricks for the greebles and frame (527 pieces), they will arrive within 14 days. I can't wait to start building this with bricks hopefully it all fits together correctly. The order was fairly expensive at £45, but there is a large amount of big pieces and rare-ish pieces for the greebling. I will update this thread with a photo when it is constructed.

Kind regards, Ellis.

The shape of the plating may not be perfect still, but it is a start. Hope it is looking alright,

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2

I have completed the upper wings on both sides, just got to create the lower wings. I am struggling for ideas, to mount the lower wings, that do not involve magnets. It is definitely starting to take shape now!

Kind regards, Ellis.

Edited by Ellisss_2