Sign in to follow this  
Antak

shapways mask of time comparisons and reveiw

So shapeways had a decent cyber monday sale, and a I grabbed a couple the G2 style Vahi's. I wanted one for a moc and wanted to see what worked best, and the thoguht of an upper half to the old mask was just fun.

I'm putting pictures here so everyone can see whats out there and how well it works. I just had them all printed in orange smooth and polished, its close enough to lego's color

#1 G2 compatible upper Mask of time (https://www.shapeways.com/product/2GH9GTYAQ/mask-of-time-gen-2-clip?optionId=60904349)

g2_vahi__comic_accurate__by_antak3000-da

Ekimu_using_Mask_of_Time.JPG

(Image courtesy of biosector 1)

Accurate to the comics, looks great from the front. Its pretty thick too, not any real risk of breakage

g2_vahi__comic_accurate__by_antak3000-da

Looks good on the head and fits well, eject feature works. This mask ONLY fits the G2 head. you can wedge the original mask into the slot by the mouth, but its not really designed to fit.

g2_vahi_side_by_antak3000-daqtv1j.jpg

Here's the issue. its totally flat. he's wearing a cardboard cut out. The lack of compatibility to the old mask is also a drawback, and the clip loosens pretty quick from use. To be fair, its only ever shown from the front in the comic.

Overall, a good choice if you like accuracy and the eject feature, and I imagine it would look good in gold paint. a poor choice if you want the combined mask (just doesn't work) or a 3 dimensional design that looks good from every angle

#2 G1 compatible g2 Mask of time (https://www.shapeways.com/product/SC3CX93N7/completed-mask-of-time-for-gen-one?optionId=61172468)

From the same seller as before.

g2_vahi_for_mata_heads_by_antak3000-daqt

Both halves are 3d printed, with the old vahi getting a long axle running through it to connect to the upper half and the old mata head.

g2_vahi_combined_front_by_antak3000-daqt

This one looks awesome combined and fits well.

g2_combined_vahi_on_head_by_antak3000-da

Its not a perfect fit on the head though, and doesn't fit the metru head (aka the best one) at all. there's some parts that rub against the mata head too, but it fits pretty well. you can also use the av-toran head, though again there are some parts that don't want to fit. The real issue is the axle on the lower half. Its a little bit too small. Unfortunately, this means you can't fit regular axles into the 'mouth' of the upper half to connect to a head, and the connection on the lower half by itself is very weak

g2_combined_vahi_side_on_head_by_antak30

The mask looks pretty good from the side, without the clip, there is a smooth helmet at the top that makes the 'g2' half look and feel more 3 dimensional.

3d_printed_vahi_vs_classic_by_antak3000-

Th 3d printed g1 vahi is pretty nice, only one or 2 things out of place (no mouth hole for example), it would be hard to tell them apart if it weren't for that texture.

Basically, this one is a good choice if you want a neat looking mask with a solid combination. but its compatibility with actual lego is poor. So while its really cool looking, I'd wait and see if the artist updates it with a slightly thicker  axle. The helmet at the top also keeps you from using the head you want. (the metru or G2 one)

#3 G1 style Vahi upper half (https://www.shapeways.com/product/8L3Q9QPW6/vahi-mask-of-time-upper-half?optionId=61153284)

vahi_upper_half__mata_head_only__by_anta

The strangest, but, in my opinion, coolest option. This tiny piece rests on the top of a mata head...

upper_half_mata_style_vahi_on_head_by_an

mata_vahi_side_by_antak3000-daqtv0c.jpg

And is then held in place by the original vahi! Its a bit fiddly, but it stays on really well

mata_vahi_combined_by_antak3000-daqtv0p.

And looks awesome

mata_vahi_combined_side_by_antak3000-daq

Look at how it lines up with the eye holes and 'bubbles' in the old mask. its pretty clever. Its also the cheapest option, since there is very little thickness to it

mata_vahi_back_by_antak3000-daqtv0g.jpg

looks good from the back too, a really well though out shape.

Of course the drawback to this one is the compatibility. mata head only, absolutely no way to attach it to anything else. Its pretty close to the comic apearance but has no way to interact with the g2 head.

#4 G2 head adaptor

You can also just connect the original mask to a g2 head using this G2 adapter (https://www.shapeways.com/product/NBGJH9DEY/mask-adapter-round-hole-with-ejection-feature?optionId=60141695)

These have been mentioned in the Shapeways MUP topic, and they work quite well;

g1_vahi_with_mask_adaptor__eject_feature

Though the vahi looks strange attached to it, you kind of have to blame the vahi's odd shape and small size for that

g1_vahi_with_mask_adaptor_side_by_antak3

The clip works perfectly. might wear out over time, but its the best fitting clip so far for a shapeways mask. The only drawback is that it only fits 2001-2002 masks, none of the axle mounted ones.

Its available without the eject feature as well.

3d_printed_mask_of_time_options_by_antak

So there are most of the current options for shapeways masks of time! I like the tiny G1 version the best, but they all are neat, fun designs. If anyone is in the market for a g2 mask of time, I hope this helps! Also, a special thanks to the shapeways sellers that made these masks. I will be using all of them for something.

Edited by Antak
better title and typo correction

that's pretty cool. Isn't shapeways expensive? I was going to order some lego minifigure scale fireworks from there and it was 10 dollars for 5 fireworks! That was pretty bad. I will consider this though.

On 1/2/2017 at 9:46 AM, legostarwars1425 said:

that's pretty cool. Isn't shapeways expensive? I was going to order some lego minifigure scale fireworks from there and it was 10 dollars for 5 fireworks! That was pretty bad. I will consider this though.

They had a Cyber Monday sale. I got a bunch of masks for about 30% off. It really depends on how much material and what kind, but yeah, shapeways can be expensive. the little tiny one that fits under the old mask is light and thin, cost about 8 I think, the Other 2 were 10 and 15.

Of course not! That mask is awesome, the paint job looks great! So the old vahi just fits on?

16 hours ago, PrimoUltimo said:

I hope you don't that I post pics of my painted G2 Vahi in that thread.

Big gallery: http://imgur.com/a/NYlOX

Wow, yours looks a lot sharper than the one Antak got. It wraps the head better too. Did you buy it from Cyberhand?

4 hours ago, Shakar said:

Wow, yours looks a lot sharper than the one Antak got. It wraps the head better too. Did you buy it from Cyberhand?

Yes, https://www.shapeways.com/product/ZUG9UTMRR/mask-of-time-pedastal?optionId=61523954&li=more-from-shop

14 hours ago, Antak said:

Of course not! That mask is awesome, the paint job looks great! So the old vahi just fits on?

Sadly they berley stay together, and even a little touch makes G1 Vahi fall off.

That looks like GW auric gold, its a perfect match to lego gold.

And yeah, the 2 main ones I bought are very flat and 1 dimensional, If I had known cyberhand was making one, I would have waited and bought that. PrimoUltimo, What color did you print that in? is it the regular plastic or hi-def achryllic?

14 hours ago, Antak said:

That looks like GW auric gold, its a perfect match to lego gold.

And yeah, the 2 main ones I bought are very flat and 1 dimensional, If I had known cyberhand was making one, I would have waited and bought that. PrimoUltimo, What color did you print that in? is it the regular plastic or hi-def achryllic?

White Strong & Flexible Polished