Sign in to follow this  
quilkin

LDD Pythagoras woes

Hello, I am trying to construct a simple 'A' frame in LDD. It's based on Pythagoras 5:12:13 triangles. I'm pretty sure I've done the counting correctly (i.e. counting spaces between holes rather than holes themselves) and I've used the hinge tool to get the angles as close as possible to 22.62 degrees which I think is correct (arctan of 5/12). But the holes just won't line up exactly enough to get pins through.

The base cross-beam is 54 spaces wide; the top is (or should be) 4 spaces.  If you imagine the frame to be composed of two right-angles triangles, I should be able to put in cross-beams of 14, 24, 34.... spaces, which correspond to gaps of 12 spaces vertical height (13 spaces along the diagonal)- i.e. adding a pair of 5:12:13 triangles each time.

It doesn't seem to help that when I set an angle, and then swivel the drawing around (to look from the other side) it's changed slightly - e.g. 22.62 becomes 157.42 when it should be 157.38.

Can anyone help? The LXF file is here. This is the beginning of what will be a fairly complex construction so it's got to be correct!

My guess is that two decimal points are not enough for such large build and at some point things go off too much. I started building it from top to bottom and LDD didn't let me attach only the base. It is possible but you either have to use axles or reattach to the pin one of technic bricks separately which will result in small misalignment. Here's the file (misaligned parts are between green plates).

1 hour ago, inkpanther said:

My guess is that two decimal points are not enough for such large build and at some point things go off too much. I started building it from top to bottom and LDD didn't let me attach only the base. It is possible but you either have to use axles or reattach to the pin one of technic bricks separately which will result in small misalignment. Here's the file (misaligned parts are between green plates).

Thanks for the help (so far) .... using a temporary hinge I lifted your A-frame vertically but then it wouldn't sit down on the baseplate.  That in itself may not be a problem but if I clone the whole frame and reverse it (to make the other side) it won't join with cross-beams because the spacing isn't whole numbers of studs. New attempt here

Edited by quilkin
incorrect url

1 hour ago, quilkin said:

Thanks for the help (so far) .... using a temporary hinge I lifted your A-frame vertically but then it wouldn't sit down on the baseplate.  That in itself may not be a problem but if I clone the whole frame and reverse it (to make the other side) it won't join with cross-beams because the spacing isn't whole numbers of studs. New attempt here

Just place a new plate, put whole frame on it, remove the plate. Because this new plate will be aligned with the grid, the frame will also become aligned.