Garmadon

AoM Phase II - Mitgardian Archery Practice

31027182070_c03bf627ef_z.jpg

The bright winter sun rose - well, late enough, in all truth, but that didn't bother most of the hardy northerners of Historica.  Least of all did it bother Sir Uridius Dratiphe, who leapt out of bed with a bound worthy of a the hardiest of his ancestors, and who proceeded to get rapidly dressed in his usual attire, and then glance out of his large window into the Keep's courtyard beneath.  

There was the squire, bending his bow to a truly impressive degree, aiming, apparently, at a squirrel perched in the tree which overhung one of the walls.  Sir Uridius looked on bemusedly, as the fellow let loose - and transfixed the deer far below and to the left of his mark, which the cook had hung out to dry.

Sir Uridius shook his head in deprecation.  Time for some Mitgardian archery practice!

31359956156_f2917c4eba_z.jpg

The target:

31252235312_2124ac07ed_z.jpg

And a last overview:

31252184912_70bd133095_z.jpg

A quick little build for the AoM and CCC - although, after seeing LJ's epic entry, I may just have to build a Phase III build soon if I want to stand a chance! :grin: :laugh:

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome!

Neat little vig Garmadon, the dark & sand green go together very nicely! :thumbup:  As you already know I think the larger tree looks a bit funny and out of place, but the other one is great!

I like the scene, Garm, but as Kai said, the palm-pine does look a little odd. I have seen them done decently, but honestly I have never really liked the way they turn out. They just do not look like pine trees to me. I like the target, though, and the collection of archers is impressive. The terrain is becoming something of the norm, it seems, with everyone from SK and LJ and Blufiji and now you doing something very similar with those colors; obviously, if all y'all are doing it, though, it is because it looks good. Nicely done!

As I said on flickr the colors are great and base are great. yet I agree with every one about the tree, I think the leaves just remind me of palm trees too much. Other than that a great moc and I can't wait for more build like this.

Nice trees and I really like the target design, it's a great change from the standard round set ups :thumbup: Nice landscaping too :classic:

When I first saw the target in the outfocused pic I wondered what sticker that was. Clever design indeed!

Some great lokking trees aswell! Well done!

Though the tree is a bit straight, the very nice colour-scheme makes upfor that. I also really like the archers!

Thanks all! :classic:

On 12/3/2016 at 5:59 PM, Kai NRG said:

Neat little vig Garmadon, the dark & sand green go together very nicely! :thumbup:  As you already know I think the larger tree looks a bit funny and out of place, but the other one is great!

Thanks Kai!  I tend to agree that the second tree looks a little out of place, but I couldn't find a way to fix that and it looked better with it there than without it, so there you go! :tongue:  Flex tubes are so useful! :grin:

On 12/3/2016 at 9:19 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like the scene, Garm, but as Kai said, the palm-pine does look a little odd. I have seen them done decently, but honestly I have never really liked the way they turn out. They just do not look like pine trees to me. I like the target, though, and the collection of archers is impressive. The terrain is becoming something of the norm, it seems, with everyone from SK and LJ and Blufiji and now you doing something very similar with those colors; obviously, if all y'all are doing it, though, it is because it looks good. Nicely done!

Thanks, HQ!  Yes, I agree that it doesn't look quite right and is a bit gap-y, but LEGO's leaf pieces are unfortunately pretty limited when it comes to different types of trees.  I do plan to try to come up with some other techniques or try out some of the ones out there next time I need to build some trees though! :wink:  And to tell the truth, I had this built before I saw LJ's recent one (otherwise I would have tried to get more dark green in there! :grin:), but it is a rather popular color combination!  Thanks!

On 12/4/2016 at 0:51 AM, The Maestro said:

As I said on flickr the colors are great and base are great. yet I agree with every one about the tree, I think the leaves just remind me of palm trees too much. Other than that a great moc and I can't wait for more build like this.

Thanks, Maestro!  I plan to try to get some more builds for CCC and GoH done soon if possible! :classic:

On 12/4/2016 at 8:16 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Nice trees and I really like the target design, it's a great change from the standard round set ups :thumbup: Nice landscaping too :classic:

Thanks SK, the target was just about my favorite part of the build as well! :grin:  And I really wanted to put some of that sand green to use!

21 hours ago, de Gothia said:

When I first saw the target in the outfocused pic I wondered what sticker that was. Clever design indeed!

Some great lokking trees aswell! Well done!

Thanks, dG, glad you like it!  Those rounds with holes in them are just perfect for them! :classic:

Nice archery build, Garmadon!

This style of terrain is really taking hold, but I certainly think it is because it is simply great!  The trees work well here, though I also am not a big fan of palm leaf pines due to the limitations at the attachment point.  The target design looks really nice with the A-frame and the tan circle and red center.  The variety among the archers is realistic and fitting for Mitgardia!

If the archers get hungry, they can just shoot a quick chicken for lunch!  Get the fires going! :wink:

While my general sentiment is the palm tree is out of place, my biggest critique concerns the ground. It is a bit lacking in texture and color, definately not something Im used to seeing from you. Other than that, this is a lovely scene.

A sweet little build, the colours are nice and natural, and the target design looks great too. As the others said the parm-tree leaves look slightly odd, but that's probably the problem as they're just used to being seen as Palm leaves. The onlooking chickens seem to be enjoying it too! Nice build :classic:

23 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Nice archery build, Garmadon!

This style of terrain is really taking hold, but I certainly think it is because it is simply great!  The trees work well here, though I also am not a big fan of palm leaf pines due to the limitations at the attachment point.  The target design looks really nice with the A-frame and the tan circle and red center.  The variety among the archers is realistic and fitting for Mitgardia!

If the archers get hungry, they can just shoot a quick chicken for lunch!  Get the fires going! :wink:

Thanks Sleg!  I've used that tree technique a few times already, but I think it looks better all by itself than with other types of trees around.  If I use it again I'll see if I can't change up the technique a bit to make it less gap-y :wink:  And good idea about the camp fires! - might have to include that in phase III! :laugh:

11 hours ago, Blufiji said:

While my general sentiment is the palm tree is out of place, my biggest critique concerns the ground. It is a bit lacking in texture and color, definitely not something I'm used to seeing from you. Other than that, this is a lovely scene.

Thanks Blufiji!  As to the ground texture and colors - unfortunately those colors aren't the most abundant in my collection so I was a bit short on pieces, but I agree that there are a bit too many studs on a level here for comfort! :grin:  I'll definitely work on that if I build something else with this color-scheme again soon!

8 hours ago, Legofin2012 said:

A sweet little build, the colours are nice and natural, and the target design looks great too. As the others said the palm-tree leaves look slightly odd, but that's probably the problem as they're just used to being seen as Palm leaves. The onlooking chickens seem to be enjoying it too! Nice build :classic:

Thanks Legofin! :classic:  Let's just hope those chickens know enough to stay out of the way! :grin:

Very nice little build, Garmadon :thumbup: The color choices are excellent, and that target design is superb!
The arrows scattered on the ground, and the figs' faces are great too :laugh:

Edited by LittleJohn