Sign in to follow this  
Kodan Black

[SoNE XIII] - Bespin - Necessary Measures

The message had come down from above, rumored to be from the Emperor himself, that there were certain targets linked to the Black Sun that had to be eliminated. I had been tasked with finding someone on Bespin and making sure that he was properly handled. There was fear that he might be a double agent and it wasn't worth the risk. I certainly had no issues dealing with a traitor and it would give me ample chance to leverage my recent training.

Upon arriving I began to quietly poke around to locate the target and establish a plan that presented the least risk with the certainty of success. The individual had a residence that the Empire knew about, but you never know if that is their real residence or simply a ruse. Far too often you can storm in thinking you will be doing a fast grab or shoot mission and quickly find that you've tipped your hand and given the target a chance to escape. I had been given a picture and a name: Lem Doshka. He had been working with us for quite some time and had managed to live a very comfortable life as an administrative official that also collected a handsome salary from the Black Sun for making sure the proper things went missing or certain ships bypassed the usual routines.

I established that his residence really was where he lived and found that he was clearly a civilian used to the good life. He was sufficiently assured of his safety that he only used guards outside of his residence, an arrogance that I was only too happy to exploit. Aside from some business meetings Lem generally kept to his lavish living quarters, which would make finding him amusingly easy.

I decided that the proper thing would be to move quickly and decisively. I acquired a guard's uniform and weapons and without delay went to his quarters. When I arrived I used my newly "found" security card to access the residence and entered to find the Ugnaught that had been supplying Lem with a steady stream of info sitting in a meeting with Lem who was enjoying a nice and quite expensive drink. Last drink as it turned out. I briefly took note of the overly ornate interior and felt a brief flare of anger at the excessive lifestyle he lead when so many barely made a living.

30520409153_a0e9dc0256_c.jpg

As I entered he grumpily bellowed: "Ugh, what is it? I'm in an important meeting!" With the Ugnaught being the smaller and less known target I took him out first, giving Lem a brief instant to realize his fate before my other hand raised and fired. It was unfortunate for the Ugnaught to get caught up in this, but given who he was dealing with I wouldn't count him as innocent.

30505618964_a4c3ea2028_c.jpg

30505619064_c84be68da6_c.jpg

I quickly went over to them and made sure there would be no miraculous medical recovery before quietly leaving his residence and nonchalantly heading to a loading dock with a small cargo ship that would soon be departing. My guard's uniform was stuffed into a small bag with a thermite device that would eliminate all traces of it as I boarded. There would be no tracing this back to the Empire and though his death would seem suspicious I was sure it would remain unsolved. I hoped my report would please my superiors and they would feel that my placement in the Dark Troopers was justified.

31212991481_50791b02cb_c.jpg

Overall Pic:
31327978525_2f86b8ba27_c.jpg

Awesome entry, very Bespin'y! You've added great details, my favorite is the half round sculpture thing. It looks right in place.

Because of all the white you could add a little more contrast to the pictures to make the shadows and thus the details stand out more. This is possible to do in Flickr, if you want to know how, shoot me a PM. :classic:

What a gorgeous scene! This feels very 70's futuristic in a way as well as a bit surreal. I like this a lot despite you're use of the old yellow colored minifigures :tongue::tongue: I love the table, carpet, and the sculpture in the background.  

Beautiful build - great job capturing the 'Cloud City' vibe.  I really like the wall textures, and your use of the new tooth pieces.  My only suggestion next time would be to add a little bit of color in just a few spots, to break up the white.  Even something like dark red or gold on the little table would be a nice highlight.  Excellent build overall, though!

On 11/30/2016 at 2:43 PM, Forresto said:

What a gorgeous scene! This feels very 70's futuristic in a way as well as a bit surreal. I like this a lot despite you're use of the old yellow colored minifigures :tongue::tongue: I love the table, carpet, and the sculpture in the background.  

Forgot to mention the 70's futuristic was exactly what I was going for, so I'm glad someone picked up on my vibe!

7 minutes ago, LucasLaughing said:

Beautiful build - great job capturing the 'Cloud City' vibe.  I really like the wall textures, and your use of the new tooth pieces.  My only suggestion next time would be to add a little bit of color in just a few spots, to break up the white.  Even something like dark red or gold on the little table would be a nice highlight.  Excellent build overall, though!

I was sorely tempted, I even had some more of the LBG in there, but Google images mostly showed it as white. I didn't see much color, so I didn't want to stride too far afield despite wanting to. This build encompassed probably 40% of my total white pieces and 100% of my white tiles. I actually had to rework some sections (the area under the seats and table) to make up for my lack of tiles. i ordered more but knew they wouldn't make it in time. Working in 1 color really strains things for part assortment. From that perspective alone this was a very hard MOC to complete.

This feels SOO Bespin, it's great! I love all the smooth architecture you've used. And it's nice to see someone still using yellows for figs.

Excellent commitment to all white. All of the different shapes make the build very interesting and deep. I agree that a few more colors should probably be present, but this has a great 70s sci-fi-vibe that came out in Cloud City. 

Not to use your build to get off on a tangent, but I do find the yellow figs distracting, especially when the Ugnaught (and other SW aliens) is true to color. 

In part I've been used to the yellow figs since my earliest experiences with them a LONG time ago. And I kind of like the sentiment that led to the yellow figs which is that they can represent anyone. But as I thought about it some, it occurs to me that SW MOCs are "living" in a universe and perhaps I should use the fleshies in my SW creations. I don't love the look of them generally, they seem to be slightly off to me. But it does become weird when you have Lando and a yellow minifig side by side. I'm not sure, but your comment has certainly caused me to think about it.

It could be that within SoNE I will do fleshies going forward and for things like AG keep to my yellow ones. Though it will be a challenge as I've historically shunned fleshies so my collection is rather sparse for them versus yellow colored ones. I will have to ruminate further on this.

Edited by Kodan Black

1 hour ago, Kodan Black said:

It could be that within SoNE I will do fleshies going forward and for things like AG keep to my yellow ones.

That's what I started doing just recently. I still respect everyone who uses yellows though!

Hehe I'm in the same boat, only use fleshies for SW builds. Then again I forgot about that in my moc, used a yellow one out of habit :D

Nice build, lots of lovely curves in there