Stash2Sixx

Rogue One movie discussion thread

On 09/01/2017 at 11:28 PM, Japanbuilder said:
  Hide contents

-Again Vader is incapable of sensing Leia, a Skywalker.

-Leia presumably sets course for Tatooine at the behest of her father who hinted at Obi-Wan near the end of the film. That is cool as it means Leia was not there by accident or by chance as seemed to be case before Rogue 1. But again that whole ball has to be kept rolling as to why Vader could not sense her or Obi Wan or Luke. Later on in the franchise force awakenings and everything can be sensed but not the presence of force sensitives? For real?

Why is it odd that Vader doesn't sense Leia? In A New Hope, he doesn't sense that she's force sensitive or that she's his daughter even when she's standing right in front of him. Vader doesn't sense Luke until the latter is actively using the Force to aim the proton torpedoes, and even then all he can tell is that "the Force is strong with this one".

Compare this with Obi-Wan, whose distinct presence Vader can sense. Obi-Wan isn't just a Force sensitive like Luke and Leia, but a Jedi Master who is well in-tune with the Force, so it makes sense that he'd have a constant "Force presence", one which his former friend and student would recognise. Additionally, Vader doesn't sense Obi-Wan until he's standing right beside the Millennium Falcon, where the old guy is hiding, and even then Vader doesn't sense him immediately! Given that, it's not at all unreasonable that Vader couldn't sense Obi-Wan on Tatooine from orbit.

Conclusion: you overestimate Vader's power. His senses in Rogue One are perfectly in line with what we see of him in A New Hope, and even if that doesn't fit with what other Force users are capable of later in the franchise, you can just put that down to Vader being a little rusty after spending most of his time depressed in a tube for twenty years.

On 1/7/2017 at 6:49 PM, Error404 said:

There is one minor inconsistency I have noticed.

In ANH when confronting Leia after boarding the Tantive IV, Vader says that "several transmissions were beamed to this ship", but in Rogue One it was only one transmission and it was beamed to (or at least received by) Admiral Raddus' command ship, which had the Tantive IV held in place in its underside.

This is not a major inconsistency and it doesn't bother me personally.

Actually, I think the Star Wars show pointed out that if you watch closely you can see that the plans were transmitted in several parts, albeit simultaneously.

On 1/9/2017 at 6:28 PM, Japanbuilder said:

Hide contents

-The guys wanted on 12 systems suddenly appear on Tatooine just a few days later. How did they get out?

-Again Vader is incapable of sensing Leia, a Skywalker.

-Leia presumably sets course for Tatooine at the behest of her father who hinted at Obi-Wan near the end of the film. That is cool as it means Leia was not there by accident or by chance as seemed to be case before Rogue 1. But again that whole ball has to be kept rolling as to why Vader could not sense her or Obi Wan or Luke. Later on in the franchise force awakenings and everything can be sensed but not the presence of force sensitives? For real?

-What took so long to make the Death Star? Here we are just a few days before the Rebels blow it up and in the film Tarkin mentions about how finally we will see the power only talked about so long ago but not once is it hinted at what the delay was. 

-In PVII there is a force religion headed by Lor San on Jakku and guys like Chirrut means that is a thing in the SW universe, where were guys like Chirrut in the OT? 

-Where are the Death Troopers in OT? They seem rather useful, with all the spying and everything else you'd think they pop up somewhere else in the film canon. Specially since their roles are not tied to a type of terrain like Shoretroopers, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers etc. 

Yeah, although I suppose it's plausible, I felt the Evazan and Baba cameo was unnecessary. Why should Vader be able to sense Leia? She's barely Force-sensitive, and he has no reason to suspect he has a daughter. The length of death star construction was not mostly because it was hard to build, but because they had to design it - if you read Catalyst it makes more sense; they didn't know how to power it until Galen figured it out. Because they already knew how to do it, the Death Star II was built much faster. Presumably there weren't more people like Chirrut who treat the Force like a religion because they were persecuted by the Empire. I think Death Troopers are supposed to work for Imperial Intelligence, which we don't see in the original trilogy, so it makes sense that they don't either. It seems they're trying to fix that by including them in Rebels.

1 hour ago, DarthHank said:

Actually, I think the Star Wars show pointed out that if you watch closely you can see that the plans were transmitted in several parts, albeit simultaneously.

If you're thinking of the interview with Pablo Hidalgo and the 2 other guys, yes, I saw that interview on Friday. I forgot about that detail until I saw the short clips of the transmission being sent in several parts in the interview video. I guess I interpreted the "several transmissions were beamed to this ship" in ANH as several transmission of the complete file and not several transmissions of the same file.

With all the easter eggs and things the guys mentioned which clears up (in my opinion) any feeling of inconsistency between RO and ANH, everything makes sense.

The Star Wars Official YouTube channel just ran a Q/A session which explained a lot of the questions people had about the film. The Death Star construction taking so long was explained simply that "the structure had been finished for years while designers experimented on how power the laser." That makes a lot of sense actually, and also explains why in Rogue One they are seen inserting the laser, while in previous sources (Revenge of the Sith) there was a laser dish in place. It seems that every iteration of the laser was slotted in and out during testing and construction, until the final laser we see in Rogue One is installed.

They also explain the Dr. and Ponda Bobba escaping Jedha. While the time between film shots from when we see the two to the destruction of the city is only like 20 minutes in the film, in canon several hours have passed. It seems the two criminals might have decided to jump the city as soon as they noticed all of the Imperial ships suddenly vanishing too... 

EDIT: LOL just barely saw your post come in seconds before mine saying you had seen that YouTube show too. They really did a great job explaining the film didn't they?

Edited by xboxtravis7992

I agree. I wasn't bothered by the small things that kinda felt inconsistent with ANH, but either way the guys explained the topics from the questions very well.

Quite interesting with things like how Leia was on her way to find Obi-Wan on Tattooine on Raddus' command ship and they joined the battle of Scarif instead due to higher priority, and the Tantive IV being docked in Raddus' ship due to repairs or something. I wonder if the repairs were completed or if it had to be postponed since they had to flee immediately once Vader came and almost reached the ship.

By the by I never realized this but Tarkin's first scene mirrors Vader's first scene in Return of the Jedi beautifully. A few examples.

"The Emperor will tolerate no further delays" Tarkin

"The Emperor is most displeased with your apparent lack of progress" Vader

"Failure, will have you explaining why to a far less patient audience." Tarkin

"I hope so commander, for your sake, the my master is not as forgiving as I am." Vader