Stash2Sixx

Rogue One movie discussion thread

For those that need to talk about, comment, or give their opinions on the movie, Rogue One, please feel free to do so in here.

Know that by reading this thread, there may be spoilers which are unhidden.

Read at your own risk

A roundabout question regarding the movie...

I bought "Catalyst" book by James Luceno. I'm gathering opinions on reading it before or after seeing the movie. I'm leaning towards reading it afterwards, because I don't want parts of the movie spoiled, possibly, by the book. 

6 hours ago, Vindicare said:

A roundabout question regarding the movie...

I bought "Catalyst" book by James Luceno. I'm gathering opinions on reading it before or after seeing the movie. I'm leaning towards reading it afterwards, because I don't want parts of the movie spoiled, possibly, by the book. 

Most of these "prequel" books, are not really spoilers for upcoming releases, but rather just providing sometimes much needed background information on the film's premise. I hope it's not the case this time around, but sometimes reading it is even needed to fully grasp the connections in the movie. I didn't buy this one, but as far as I've seen info on the story, it mostly revolves about how Galen got involved in the building of the DS, and his history with Krennic.

BUT, as you can see in the opening post, if you are afraid of spoilers, this thread might not be for you once it takes off :)

Edited by brobert

On 02/12/2016 at 2:22 PM, Forresto said:

I just bought my tickets for the day after opening day! Super excited!

Awesome! Haven't bought tickets yet :sceptic:

Fake "Spoilers":

Spoiler

Death Star Plans get stolen (Episode IV)

Spoiler

Jyn Erso is in the movie!! OMG, right? :pir_tong2:

Spoiler

A large army of chickens are rumored to not be in the film :grin:

Spoiler

Blasters get fired *huh*

Spoiler

Darth Vader wears a cape in the movie

Spoiler

Baze Malbus has hair!

Real Spoilers (read at your own risk):

Spoiler

Chirrut dies (Jiang Wen, aka Baze Malbus, accidentally leaked it on the celebration panel

Spoiler

Saw Gerrera probably dies (New Rockstars Trailer Breakdown theory)

Spoiler

Bodhi Rook may die (Another New Rockstars Trailer Breakdown theory)

Spoiler

Darth Vader may kill Krennic (New Rockstars theory, as Vader does not take well to failure)

Edited by VaderFan2187

On 12/5/2016 at 0:53 AM, Young Leo said:

So according to Gareth Edwards (the director), George Lucas really liked Rogue One when he saw it.

I wasn't a big fan of his Godzilla remake, so this does boost my hopes up for the movie.

Yeah but then again, what else would he say? :D And apparently, he didn't see the whole movie, just the 28 minutes that was screened for journalists as well.

The special effects were just finalized one of these days.

Anywho, I've got my tickets for opening night for the midnight screening, no way I'm gonna suffer for almost a whole day, like I did with TFA :grin:

Edited by brobert

On 12/7/2016 at 6:25 AM, brobert said:

Yeah but then again, what else would he say? :D And apparently, he didn't see the whole movie, just the 28 minutes that was screened for journalists as well.

Well he did throw some criticism at TFA, but I suppose that was more of him being excluded from the creativity process than an unbiased review.

I'll probably see Rogue One the Saturday after it comes out, got a break in between finals that weekend.

2 hours ago, Young Leo said:

Well he did throw some criticism at TFA, but I suppose that was more of him being excluded from the creativity process than an unbiased review.

I'll probably see Rogue One the Saturday after it comes out, got a break in between finals that weekend.

Well specifically he said he was not a fan of how much it mirrored A New Hope. He said he would have done something very different.

10 hours ago, npgcole said:

Well, this rumour's interesting.

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2016/12/rumor-more-prequel-character-cameos.html

Whether you like the characters or not, it does make sense that they'd be there. I like how this movie is really connecting the trilogies.

It totally does. Just please not gungans....everyone but Jar-Jar....

Edited by brobert
typo

11 hours ago, brobert said:

It totally does. Just please not gungans....everyone but Jar-Jar....

If the rumour is true, I'm surprised they included that Bibble guy from Phantom Menace; not a lot of people are going to remember him.

An idea that could work in the future is a Valorum camoe if Terence Stamp is up for it, showing his guilt at not stopping Palpatine earlier through that vote of no confidence move which ultimately lead to the Empire. There's a lot of potential for Disney to tie everything together well.

I love many things about the prequels and embrace the prequels and Original Trilogy getting better ties to each other...but Jar Jar Binks is a big old no!

Edited by Forresto

I have tickets for myself and 2 coworkers for Rogue One on Thursday night, 2nd showing in my town. Can't wait! :thumbup:

On 12/9/2016 at 7:36 PM, Young Leo said:

If the rumour is true, I'm surprised they included that Bibble guy from Phantom Menace; not a lot of people are going to remember him.

An idea that could work in the future is a Valorum camoe if Terence Stamp is up for it, showing his guilt at not stopping Palpatine earlier through that vote of no confidence move which ultimately lead to the Empire. There's a lot of potential for Disney to tie everything together well.

That. The Valorum idea is actually pretty cool. I'd love to be surprised by stg like that. Agreed on Sio Bibble as well, not a very memorable character at all. (except for the elaborate beard-composition ofc.) Unless they need to make absolutely sure that an invasion is happening and the death toll is catastrophic. 

It's great to see Jimmy Smits again, but I feel like too many prequel characters would be forced (pun intended). Just let us forget gungans. Disney can make a TV-show about it if they want, but if I see another gungan retconned into the OT-era, imma go berserk right there on the spot. 

I just watched this movie and it's superb outstanding. I enjoyed it very much. The whole flow and on how it manage to integrate fine details in there. It take a SW fan to truly appreciate these little details which I enjoy the most. 

Just got back.

The most 'intense' SW movie to date. I'd almost say visually a masterpiece.

Still, one negative thing (although many would disagree with me on this)

Spoiler

everybody dies. Depressing, very depressing. I know why they did it....but still.

Just watched the movie... It's the most beautiful Star Wars movie not only because they have a beach filmed in Maldives but because the cinematography is excellent and there are lots of morally grey areas that will make you question if you are rooting for the good guys. Anyway, I enjoyed it a lot...

As for the spoilers...

Spoiler

1st act is a bit slow but what can you do when you introduce half a dozen characters. Jyn's mom is very stubborn and that probably where Jyn's rebelliousness came from.

Spoiler

I'm very sad that they killed off everyone but I saw that coming... I didn't like K-2SO to go away. :cry_sad:

I really like how it ties into Episode IV

I'll watch it again tomorrow 

Edited by makoy

Just saw it as well a couple of hours ago, and it might very well be my new favorite Star Wars movie. I absolutely love it.
In fact, I've never wanted to go back to see a movie this quickly again and this badly before, I'm just itching to run back to see it again.
Masterfully done, all of it, down from the cinematography to how it expands the universe to how it adds so many morally grey areas to the story and how it plays out
to how awesome the new characters are and how much you actually care about them to Darth Vader (yes, they handled him very well here), and oh, that ending...

Amazing movie. It's a 10/10 from me.

I found the WHOLE Rogue One storyline on reddit! Yesss!

I kinda get why Saw isn't in any Scarif set... I sorta predicted

Spoiler

his death

before the movie came out.

8 hours ago, makoy said:

Hide contents

I'm very sad that they killed off everyone but I saw that coming... I didn't like K-2SO to go away. :cry_sad:

Spoiler

I thought Baze Malbus survived?

Spoiler

Also Tarkin sucks about how he blew up Scarif when Krennic was there :D

Spoiler

But I saw that Vader slaughtering rebels part... BADASS!

Edited by VaderFan2187

Spoiler

Nope. What do you think the unpinned grenade did to him before the screen faded to white? 

Also even if he did survive the grenade, the whole Scarif base was obliterated by the Death Star

Who I didn't see die is Pao... you know that big mouth alien commando

Edited by makoy

The last 45 minutes of the movie was the most enjoyable climax and I grip it right to the end of the very last, where everything became so clear! 

6 hours ago, makoy said:

Hide contents

Nope. What do you think the unpinned grenade did to him before the screen faded to white? 

Also even if he did survive the grenade, the whole Scarif base was obliterated by the Death Star

Who I didn't see die is Pao... you know that big mouth alien commando

Spoiler

I haven't watched it, I read an unofficial synopsis on reddit that many said was accurate. It said he "goes out in glory shooting the Death Troopers"