Stash2Sixx

Rogue One movie discussion thread

On 12/26/2016 at 5:02 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

First of all, why use the Death Star on Scarif?   Not only did the archives have the plans to the DS, from the look of it there was a lot else there.  It would be like blowing up your own Library of Congress.  It seems like they would have been better off just sending a force to the ground to mop up or chasevany remaining rebel forces for the sake of preserving the archives.

I don't recall where I saw it, but I read somewhere that Scarif was basically a place where imperial officers retired in a way. The place is basically a paradise as far as location, looks, and I'd assume temperature. Plus it is a library basically so the chances of getting attacked probably aren't extremely high compared to other worlds like Jedha for example. So many officers just kind of relaxed there. Tarkin just took the opportunity to remove those officers. Probably not the best move considering the all things.

Update: I found where I saw this at, the Rogue One novel. Here is the quote, sorry the font is weird I copied and pasted it from a site(side note "it" means Scarif and the base): "Tarkin would not miss it. Over the years, too many officers had treated it as a place for unofficial retirement; a tropical paradise where they could neglect their duty in comfort. The loss of the Citadel and the planetary shield would be a pity— but no more than that. "

Edited by FishW
Added Rogue One novel quote.

Third screening here: this time 3D with D-BOX, 

I wouldn't think I would say that but the movie gets better which each screening?? I still think half the movie is a bit sluggish but Scariff gets me each time, I always look foward the next scene! I actually kind of hated the Pricess Leia cameo at the end but now she has passed away I think some sort of cosmic justice was at work in the editing room. ( RIP Carrie Fisher )

The movie certainly has it's share of problems, it's no Empire, but as a prequel it's damn good!

Second viewing of Rogue One. 

I hoped that my opinion might improve after another viewing, it did not. 

Things that bothered me:

Jyn seems to spend a large portion of the film on the verge of tears. She was a stranger to the Rebel Alliance and a few minutes later she's giving a big motivational speech in front of the entire Rebel Council, huh? Then she leads a mission group comprised of the Alliance's assassins, saboteurs and whatnot? My suspension of disbelief doesn't stretch that far. Why is she limping on top of the communications tower? She was fine two seconds earlier when she levitated through the bizarre, video game inspired hatch. Cassias should be limping, not her.

The presence of Ponda and Evazhan on Jedda makes no sense. In the canonical timeline, they are suddenly on Tatooine like 2 days later? I don't buy it. 

Artoo & Threepio's appearance bothered me less this time. But it's still hokey as heck. 

Knowing where and how the film must end really becomes problematic. Everything becomes shielded in plot armor and deus ex machina. 

On December 26, 2016 at 5:41 AM, Calanon said:

I imagine it flashing up as "Vader's Sanctum, Mustafar" would spoil the reveal somewhat.

Why not just: 

Mustafar

that would have been in the same style as the rest. None mentioned anything but the planet name. 

52 minutes ago, rollermonkey said:

Second viewing of Rogue One. 

I hoped that my opinion might improve after another viewing, it did not. 

Things that bothered me:

Jyn seems to spend a large portion of the film on the verge of tears. She was a stranger to the Rebel Alliance and a few minutes later she's giving a big motivational speech in front of the entire Rebel Council, huh? 

I think it was her wanting to persuade the Rebels to do the right thing. Sure, she barely knows them, and one of them almost assassinated her father and it was the rebel fire that killed him, but it's the Rebels or nothing. Without the rebels she has nothing, they're her only hope (no pun intended). Persuading them to help her get the plans is the only way to defeat to the Death Star.

52 minutes ago, rollermonkey said:

The presence of Ponda and Evazhan on Jedda makes no sense. In the canonical timeline, they are suddenly on Tatooine like 2 days later? I don't buy it. 

They were on Jedha for this surgeciao thing Dr Evazhan was doing, as for Tatooine, they had been sentenced to death in 12 Star Systems, so it's possible that after they fled from Jedha, Tatooine was the closest place they could flee too where they hadn't been sentenced to death.

Edited by Tariq j

Saw it on UK premiere (not midnight but 5 oclock on the night after :hmpf_bad:) and I'm seeing it AGAIN today!!!

I thought that they did a great job on the great Peter Cushing and of course Carrie Fisher (RIP) with digitally resurrecting them to be in Rogue One. And the ending was just too good to be true.

Columbus

Oh, I forgot to mention: 

It's getting kind of old that they keep on using the Death Star(s)/Starkiller Base... The best Star Wars movie ever made didn't need to have a massive superweapon, why can't they get away from it? Are they unable to fathom another way to demonstrate the evil nature of the Empire without one?

5 hours ago, rollermonkey said:

Oh, I forgot to mention: 

It's getting kind of old that they keep on using the Death Star(s)/Starkiller Base... The best Star Wars movie ever made didn't need to have a massive superweapon, why can't they get away from it? Are they unable to fathom another way to demonstrate the evil nature of the Empire without one?

Yes I am kind of done with the Death Star stuff too, and I really hope that Rogue One is the LAST we will see of that idea for a while. I thought Rogue One approached it wonderfully though, but I think since they did the Death Star plot justice this time, they should end it now while it is still on a high note. When we count the instances of Death Stars in Canon and Legends it becomes kind of ridiculous:

Canon-

Death Star I (Revenge of the Sith, Rogue One, A New Hope)

Death Star II (Return of the Jedi)\

Starkiller Base (Force Awakens)

Legends-

Prototype Death Star

Death Star III (Star Tours ride)

Darksaber (The Hutt's knockoff Death Star laser)

Eclipse I (basically a Death Star laser on a Super Star Destroyer frame)

Eclipse II

Dear Lucasfilm, it is time to let the idea have a rest! No Starkiller Base II please! :tongue:

Edited by xboxtravis7992

Say what you will about the first half of Rogue One but the second half is as close to perfection as you can get in a Star Wars movie. It's absolutely perfect from Scariff onwards.

Second viewing was even better then the first. I went in expecting to discover I had been wrong the first time, that in fact the movie is awful somehow. Nope, never have I been so wrong. I do think the first half of the film is a tad slow and does drag the film from being an Empire Strikes Back in regards to pacing but that second half...

The score that plays when the Death Star arrives and then the Devastator arrives. That smirk Tarkin gives after he says "You may fire when ready." knowing he's finally killing Krennic and wiping out the Rebels in one swipe.

Side note - one thing I think would have been nice to have more of in the movie was a stronger Krennic presence aboard the Death Star. It was cool to have CGI-Tarkin for fan service, but from the trailer I think Ben Mendelsohn would have pulled off an even more menacing character if Tarkin wasn't there undermining Krennic the whole time. The Krennic-Vader interaction would have been great as a Death Star vs. Force debate (i.e. in Trailer 2), rather than Krennic vying for support as commander of the Death Star.

A flashback or two showing Jyn's past with Forest Whitaker's character would have been helpful in showing the audience some of that connection before she became a lone wolf criminal.

On 23/12/2016 at 6:46 PM, Calanon said:

I'm guessing, due to his cybernetic legs, he wasn't able to run to the ship and realised if they waited for him to board it probably would have made their escape less likely.

Saw it a few hours ago, I enjoyed it thoroughly although I did find the beginning to be somewhat choppy. The Visual Dictionary better have some explanations on what the hell was going on with the imperial rank insignias.

I think showing grand moff tarkin as a brief aulogram would have been more subtle and the CGI would have been near impossible to detect because of the static. 

I wouldn't mind a few more Vader scenes, but I think he was used well, considering this movie is about the rebel group stealing the Death Star plans and not about Vader.

I find the continuity having been done well, as I now get the feeling that Vader primarily just went in at the end to recover the stolen plans we see him go after in ANH.

I saw it just this week and liked it. Sadly, for as many holes as it patched up it seems to have created a few more Oo 

Still It was a fun romp in the SW universe and I appreciated the diversion. Even though the end was written in stone it was fun to see it all unfold. Some of the easter eggs were not as cool as I hoped but finally we see imperial forces once again neutralize many many rebels! Muahahaha! Go dark side! (-.-)v

14 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

Sadly, for as many holes as it patched up it seems to have created a few more Oo

Which new holes are you referring to, out of curiosity?

There is one minor inconsistency I have noticed.

In ANH when confronting Leia after boarding the Tantive IV, Vader says that "several transmissions were beamed to this ship", but in Rogue One it was only one transmission and it was beamed to (or at least received by) Admiral Raddus' command ship, which had the Tantive IV held in place in its underside.

This is not a major inconsistency and it doesn't bother me personally.

Hey guys,

I finally saw Star Wars: Rouge One and I must say it was a good popcorn flick. I enjoyed every minute of it and my inner geek was happy. It was both new as well as nostalgic and plenty of Easter eggs too! Sure it was slow at the the beginning and jumped around a lot but its forgivable. It was nice to see familiar faces too such as Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa. Also the mention of red leader, seeing Mon Mothma and of course Darth Vader back in action. The CGi characters of Grand Moff Tarkin and Princess Leia were great too. I knew Tarkin was CGI but wasn't sure about Princess Leia. I do admit it though that when I saw her at the end, i cried a bit because she has passed away. Now it makes me wander if she will be CGI for the remaining star wars movies in the future. Love the new planets as well as seeing the familiar ones such as Yavin and Mustafar. I'm surprised they didn't name Mustafar but i guess they did it for a reason so it would not introduce Darth Vader. So over all, it was a fun movie and I enjoyed it very much even though i was upset they killed off the main characters. What do you think about the movie? How did you feel about the ending as well as the CGI Tarkin and Princess Leia? Did you capture the Easter eggs too?

On 1/8/2017 at 8:25 AM, Young Leo said:

Which new holes are you referring to, out of curiosity?

They are not major holes rather it has to keep the holes in place from everything that came before. 

Spoiler

-The guys wanted on 12 systems suddenly appear on Tatooine just a few days later. How did they get out?

-Again Vader is incapable of sensing Leia, a Skywalker.

-Leia presumably sets course for Tatooine at the behest of her father who hinted at Obi-Wan near the end of the film. That is cool as it means Leia was not there by accident or by chance as seemed to be case before Rogue 1. But again that whole ball has to be kept rolling as to why Vader could not sense her or Obi Wan or Luke. Later on in the franchise force awakenings and everything can be sensed but not the presence of force sensitives? For real?

-What took so long to make the Death Star? Here we are just a few days before the Rebels blow it up and in the film Tarkin mentions about how finally we will see the power only talked about so long ago but not once is it hinted at what the delay was. 

-In PVII there is a force religion headed by Lor San on Jakku and guys like Chirrut means that is a thing in the SW universe, where were guys like Chirrut in the OT? 

-Where are the Death Troopers in OT? They seem rather useful, with all the spying and everything else you'd think they pop up somewhere else in the film canon. Specially since their roles are not tied to a type of terrain like Shoretroopers, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers etc. 

Again just minor quips really since the bulk of these problems have existed for a while now. The Death Star in particular since EPIII, so that was not even a problem until relatively recent times. Outside material explains a lot of it but that is weak. The movies should do better at explaining or showing these details. But I suppose if I were studio I would love these, since they allow for movies like Rogue One to be made in the first place. 

11 hours ago, Delta62 said:

Hey guys,

I've merged your topic with this one.  We only need one topic to discuss this movie.  Thanks.

thanks, i did not see this lol, my bad. anyway, i still say its a good movie none the less. probably my favorite one next to empire strikes back.

Edited by Delta62

16 hours ago, Japanbuilder said:

They are not major holes rather it has to keep the holes in place from everything that came before. 

Hide contents

-The guys wanted on 12 systems suddenly appear on Tatooine just a few days later. How did they get out?

-Again Vader is incapable of sensing Leia, a Skywalker.

-Leia presumably sets course for Tatooine at the behest of her father who hinted at Obi-Wan near the end of the film. That is cool as it means Leia was not there by accident or by chance as seemed to be case before Rogue 1. But again that whole ball has to be kept rolling as to why Vader could not sense her or Obi Wan or Luke. Later on in the franchise force awakenings and everything can be sensed but not the presence of force sensitives? For real?

-What took so long to make the Death Star? Here we are just a few days before the Rebels blow it up and in the film Tarkin mentions about how finally we will see the power only talked about so long ago but not once is it hinted at what the delay was. 

-In PVII there is a force religion headed by Lor San on Jakku and guys like Chirrut means that is a thing in the SW universe, where were guys like Chirrut in the OT? 

-Where are the Death Troopers in OT? They seem rather useful, with all the spying and everything else you'd think they pop up somewhere else in the film canon. Specially since their roles are not tied to a type of terrain like Shoretroopers, Sandtroopers, Snowtroopers etc. 

Again just minor quips really since the bulk of these problems have existed for a while now. The Death Star in particular since EPIII, so that was not even a problem until relatively recent times. Outside material explains a lot of it but that is weak. The movies should do better at explaining or showing these details. But I suppose if I were studio I would love these, since they allow for movies like Rogue One to be made in the first place. 

I thought of those as well so i'll share some of the conclusions i've come to. 

-So there's an interesting explanation that's subtly talked about in the Visual Guide. Apparently the reason Dr. Evazzan and Ponda Baba have the death mark on twelve systems is because they perform these horrible medical experiments on unsuspecting people. Because they have a death mark in so many places they're being hunted down by various bounty hunters and when we run into them on Jedha they're most likely on their way to their ship to escape the system. Plus the time gap between our heroes bumping into them and the Death Star blowing up Jedha was at least several hours and could even be up to a day later.   

-Can't think of a good reason for the Vader issue that is a big plothole. 

-The reason the Death Star takes so long is the super laser. The station itself is built but the super laser has taken a very long time to finish. Since Galen Erso sabotaged the station then no doubt he also created "reasonable delays" to stall for time. That's why Tarkin totally schools Krennic in that first scene. Tarkin is completely fed up with the excuses and delays and problems.  

-Well to be fair the Rebels always say "May the Force be with you!" so they must have people who worship the force in the command staff or amongst the military. 

-I would've said Death Troopers were experimental and unique to Krennic but they've shown up guarding Thrawn in Rebels now so apparently they are assigned to protect high ranking Imperial officers. There's no real explanation I can think of as we should've at least seen them in Return of the Jedi. Maybe they were fighting on Endor against ewoks and rebel commandos elsewhere?