27920661725_f78ee18f68_c.jpg

This is my Blacktron fast Scouttrax. You may have seen a WIP topic about it some months ago. This is the end product. It is inspired by the 6941 which was one of my favorite sets when I was a kid. It is also the first wheeled vehicle I've build since my 'dark age'. I've been working on this for a while now, abandoning the project several times because I couldn't get it to work as I had imagined it. Specifically the steering mechanism. The steering technique that I was trying to recreate was something I had seen on TV. The basic idea is that when a wheeled vehicle goes into a corner, the main cabin will lean into the corner, a bit like a motorcycle. This style of steering has many benefits for high speed vehicles. For one, the g-forces on the driver and passengers are much more pleasant. But it also helps with getting better traction on the road. Normal vehicles that take a corner will experience a fictional sideways force which actually is just inertia. In order for a car to overcome that inertia it has to have enough traction. However a vehicle with the style of steering I used, actually uses that inertia to create additional downforce and traction, thereby increasing the velocity that can be used in a corner. I had a hard time creating something that didn't only function well in theory but also in the real world. At the moment it functions as intended, as you can see in the video. However the level of control and suspension could still be improved which is why I am building a second version at the moment. 

You can find additional photos on my Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/33425520@N07/albums/72157669572889372

I have also put it on LEGO ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/159717

Edited by Kelkschiz

Nice build Kelkschiz and fast to.:thumbup:

Not only the model is great, but your video and animation skills are stunning.:wub:

Edited by Edwin Korstanje

This vehicle is very cool - great drive and steering ideas :thumbup:! I had a lot of fun watching that video and the little story within :head_back:, thanks for sharing! 

Great video of cool vehicle:thumbup:

I love the use of the panels near the jet engine, such a smooth transition!:wub: The steering system works like a charm. The colourscheme could use a bit less grey and a bit more yellow I think, but all in all a great model.

A really nice build, I love the steering mechanism and tilting combination,  it looks really smooth and fast.

Great video as well!

Wow , amazing vehicle! The video editing is fantastic!

Edited by LXF

Thanks for the lovely comments guys, it's great to read. 

@Jeroen, Yes I agree that more yellow would make it look a bit better, and in hindsight I missed some opportunities in that regard. I also wanted to make the windscreen trans. yellow, unfortunately it doesn't exist in that color.

The video is great, you could air it as a Saturday morning cartoon. I like the vehicle, too, it's surprisingly quick and the turning radius is much smaller than expected. Great work!

It's a gorgeous thing with a crazy steering! And I love this space theme, it's like Mako M35 from ME, but much faster, funny and darker:) Waiting for more your creations!

Thanks guys!

13 hours ago, LegoDego said:

It's a gorgeous thing with a crazy steering! And I love this space theme, it's like Mako M35 from ME, but much faster, funny and darker:) Waiting for more your creations!

The Mako was definitely an inspiration on this build as well. Actually at first I thought that I would make it ME themed, but then I changed my mind because some things did work that well, for instance to make a Mako I would have had to buy a lot of white LEGO parts. 

I love Blacktron and this model is marvelous.  Your leaning steering system is a good idea, and is somewhat similar to what was used on the old 8226 buggy.

17 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I love Blacktron and this model is marvelous.  Your leaning steering system is a good idea, and is somewhat similar to what was used on the old 8226 buggy.

Thanks, that steering on 8226 is indeed the same basic mechanism. Never seen that though, probably released during my dark age. 

Ahh, the nostalgia for old times, when i was a kid, and spending hours looking to Lego catalog with Blactron and M-Tron vehicles and bases!

Such a nice model, that brings so many memories! Not to mention all the technology that went into it. Great work. And that video is awesome, reminds me of something like new age Cartoon Network shows,

Waiting to see that second version!

19 minutes ago, Milan said:

Ahh, the nostalgia for old times, when i was a kid, and spending hours looking to Lego catalog with Blactron and M-Tron vehicles and bases!

Such a nice model, that brings so many memories! Not to mention all the technology that went into it. Great work. And that video is awesome, reminds me of something like new age Cartoon Network shows,

Waiting to see that second version!

I still look at those catalogs occasionally. It's strange how something from way back in the eighties can still inspire :).