WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71017 LEGO Minifigures - LEGO Batman Movie Series

LEGO Minifigures - LEGO Batman Movie Series  

184 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire LEGO Batman Movie Series?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for LEGO Batman Movie Series?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Will you like to see traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series?

• 1 - Yes, I prefer the traditional LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 2 - No, I prefer licensed LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series
    • 3 - No, I prefer singular theme on LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series

Thank you for the in depth review.

One gripe though, an Orca is not a shark. Orcas, also known as killer whales, belong to the dolphin family. 

29 minutes ago, skelliesgang said:

Thank you for the in depth review.

One gripe though, an Orca is not a shark. Orcas, also known as killer whales, belong to the dolphin family. 

Yes, I am aware of it too. I was hoping that they didn't have to reuse the shark mould. Extract from the review: "It is implied that Dr. Balin used a chemical formula that she derived from an Orca whale in the aquarium on herself and that is what caused her to transform into Orca. She is able to easily switch between being Orca and her regular appearance as Dr. Balin."

Cheers for putting this up again; always a joy to read, and look at the perfect hi-res pictures..

Pretty steep pricing, though, for these figs. If they are priced the same in Europe, that comes to around 5,25 Euros per fig.

Edited by Withacee

Thank you for always taking the time to produce such an in depth review every single time a minifigure series is released!

I always look forward to your reviews as you really delve into every single detail. It is really a treat to read your analysis of each minifigure. 

Just one quick question, is the tile for The Calculator chest plate supposed to be that way? Anyway, great work and can't wait to see your review of Series 17!

Oh and here is a confirmation of the pricing in Singapore:

Screen-Shot-2016-12-12-at-4.13.11-pm.jpg

29 minutes ago, Withacee said:

Cheers for putting this up again; always a joy to read, and look at the perfect hi-res pictures..

Pretty steep pricing, though, for these figs. If they are priced the same in Europe, that comes to around 5,25 Euros per fig.

I still not sure of the official prices for other regions. I am already feeling very disheartened for Singapore SRP for the LEGO CMFs. I know is almost impossible, but kind of secretly hope is an one-off increase before they reduce back to the old pricing due to high license fee of DC Comics. That's a huge assumption which no one can know for certain. 

5 minutes ago, darphpinko said:

Thank you for always taking the time to produce such an in depth review every single time a minifigure series is released!

I always look forward to your reviews as you really delve into every single detail. It is really a treat to read your analysis of each minifigure. 

Just one quick question, is the tile for The Calculator chest plate supposed to be that way? Anyway, great work and can't wait to see your review of Series 17!

Oh and here is a confirmation of the pricing in Singapore:

Thank you darphipinko. Glad you have enjoyed reading it. Yes yes, you have pointed something. It's not suppose to place this way. I put it, without realising the orientation of the 1x1 printed tile. You are very sharp to take note of this minor little detail. Also, thank you for pointing that SRP out. 

3 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Thanks makoy. Glad you agreed with my top picks as well. I sincerely hope it won't cause any sudden shortage of any minifigures since I don't suppose any of them are army builders worthy. I can imagine people wanting to hoard multiples of March Harriets and Orcas due to their costume iconic mascots. 

I just saw in the Series 17 discussion in our EB and members seem to be hinting towards a character design in Series 17. 

This is extremely disappointing. From what I read online so far, I thought this was not confirmed for Singapore's case. This is very disheartening and incredibly sucks. I am still buying those LEGO CMFs series regularly in Singapore. A big sigh. 

I think this will be a big test how the CMF fanatics will respond to carrot and stick situation. I have to blame those mascots for really jacking up the prices of those minifigures deemed "rare" even if they are not.

It is going to be interesting if Malaysia prices will follow the percent increase in Singapore because that's a whooping 44% increase in retail price which is just insanely high. UK only had 20% increase so I hope Malaysia will follow the lower percentage increase.

Whitefang, thanks for the review, I always look forward to reading your CMF reviews, they are so entertaining and carry your unique style of relating back to past CMF series.

Looks like a fun series and no army building figs (good for the wallet).  I am turned off by the price hike.  I wonder are we going to pay the new pricing for future licensed CMF such as Disney CMF series 2?  For the first time since collecting CMF, I had the thought of just buying a few minifigs and not the entire collection.

I really like reading your reviews. They are so thorough and well written. The little jokes always get alaugh too, so thanks for doing this! I can hardly wait to get some of these minifigs. I think this is my favorite series yet, right up on top with the monster series! :thumbup:

Fabulous review as always Whitefang!

When the first news of this series came out I wasn't to pleased and just wanted a regular series. But now I have taken a look at the figures and the vast selection of unique and unusual villains and the epic detailing throughout several of the figures, I'm realy looking forward to this series...

I think it's hilarious that we're getting batman dressed as a fairy and vacation batman's rubber duck mould is long, long awaited and fantastic.

The other batman suits are not to bad either, I love the new lobster mould.

The eraser's head looks awesome and the rest of the figure is not at all bad. I like the way that the calculaters helmet reads 'hello' upside down.

Red hood and orca are phenomal looking figures and I'm mainly impressed with the other new villains.

Dick Grayson is a nice cheap way to get him and his jeans print will be very usefull for your generic city figures. Barbara Gordon and commissioner James are not bad but not that special.

My favourite is probably nurse Harley Quin. Cool 2x2 print and an awesome figure.

Sadly, I'm not liking the mime!

Thanks again Whitefang!

The lego fan

Thanks for the review!

I think Catman and Red Hood are the only musts for me from this wave, though I also like March Harriet.

"07734" in calculator man's visor did not mean anything on the numbers but it says "hello" spelled backwards upsidedown

Thanks for the great review as always Whitefang. This was superb.

Man am I mixed on this one. I should be the target audience for this. An AFOL, a lifelong comic nerd, and someone who appreciates the strange, weird and stupidly humorous. I know I am the target for the movie. But the CMF's leave me more than a little flat. I think the big reason is there is not one figure in this line that you could possibly want or use more than one of. Where are the henchmen? Most CMF lines have a few viable Army Builder types. Even the Disney. This is one reason I hated the Simpsons ones. Every duplicate was a loss. Which took some of the fun out of it. As for these guys? My views are mixed;

1. Lobster lovin Batman - I like him. Some useful parts. He has lots of character. I can see Batman wandering my city in a bathrobe. It works

2. Glam Metal Batman - I love this one. Just pure awesome.

3. Fairy Batman - An amusing joke, but a little goes a long way. Not much you can really do with this one. The joke wears thin fast.

4. Clan of the Cave Batman - Meh! Really does nothing for me. I can't see any display or photo use for it. Not great parts. Just Meh!

5. Vacation Batman - may be the single best figure of the series. The only one I want multiples of, just to split it up for parts. The torso. The Ducky Ring. Just perfect.

6. Barbara Gordon - I should like this figure... but I really can't stand it. I know  the character and character history too well so seeing her as a Cop feels wrong. The skin tone they used clashes horribly with the red hair and makes her look like an Oompa Loompa or bad spray tan wearer. The Dress Uniform is great, especially since it has no flesh anywhere, so can be used with any head color. But why oh why does it have a red sash? Is she secretly El Presidente of some Latin Republic?

7. Commissioner Gordon - The best interpretation of Gordon we have yet gotten. Sadly a little too detailed so you can't really use him for anything else. A great fig, but one is enough

8. Arkham Asylum Joker - BLEAH! Just seems pointless. We have better variants on this idea in actual sets. You don't even need one.

9. Dick Grayson - Nice that we get a civilian Robin. But damn that Goggles Head look is annoying. The rest of the fig is useful at least. The sad thing is without the stupid goggles the face has some great expressions.

10. Pink Power Batgirl - I know some love this one, but to me it's yet another joke that wears thin fast. Small female family members will love it. So I can see its point, but meh.

11. Red Hood - I like the idea behind this figure. I am just not sure that the execution worked. I love the inner head that you can't see, as that is the Jason Todd Red Hood Head. Which is great to get. That Red Dome just seems more distracting than impressive.

12. Eraser - What a fun little figure. I like the new head element. he reminds me of an old Dick Tracey Villain.

13. Nurse Harley Quinn - OK I will say it. BLEAH! I think I like every single other lego Harley Figure better than this one. This just seems too over the top campy. There is too much going on with it. That new hair piece is kind of garish. The figure is Gaudy.

14. Orca - I like this one. I love that they are usingthe red inner head trick again to show a scary mouth. While she seems more at home with the Atlantis figs than Batman, I still like her.

15. Zodiac Master - OK now here we have a great classic looking comic Super Villain. I love him. 

16. Catman - A figure I never expected, but always wanted. Catman. Alongside Deadshot, Comic Bane and other Ahrley figures we are well on our way to a Secret Six collection. Can we get a Ragdoll or Scandal Savage fig?

17. March Harriet - Cause why the heck not? OK she's kinda cute. Nothing I would want 2 of, but why not.

18. The Calculator - I love this guy. I love that they found a way to incorporate both his whacky original look with the buttons on his chest, and his later purple spandex look. I love what they did with the helmet. A+

19. King Tut - of all the oddball villains to resurrect from the Adam West show...? OK it's a cool gag. This one might have been better suited to a promotional fig when they released the 60's Batcave set, but regardless AFOL's with that set will be thrilled to have him. He's easy to find a home for.

20. Mime - She feels rather bland. Like she should have been a henchman instead. But sadly she has too many specific details for that. 

There are some great figures in this series. I just don't think I will be over buying on any of them. As I said a little goes a long way this time. 

Commissioner Gordon, Duckie Batman, and Nurse Harley Quinn are the standouts for me! I like Red Hood too, I'd also like to see that piece used for Mysterio. To be honest, I don't think Orca looks very good though using that Shark mold.

Edited by Ultron

Nice review whitefang!

Can't wait for these minifigs!

Edited by CisFran

I didn't notice before but you had to photoshop the 19 and the 20 under King Tut and Mime

These series just keep getting bigger and bigger :laugh:

Edited by Robert8

Thanks everyone for your comments. It's truly nice to know that you have enjoyed reading this reviewing coverage with great anticipation and excitement for this new series. 

18 hours ago, makoy said:

I think this will be a big test how the CMF fanatics will respond to carrot and stick situation. I have to blame those mascots for really jacking up the prices of those minifigures deemed "rare" even if they are not.

It is going to be interesting if Malaysia prices will follow the percent increase in Singapore because that's a whooping 44% increase in retail price which is just insanely high. UK only had 20% increase so I hope Malaysia will follow the lower percentage increase.

Makoy, I think you raise a good point. However, consumers may generally be able to respond to these new prices and continue to get them. It's only a matter of how many multiples of the same character which you could like to get more. I seriously don't think the new price increase or future price increase could deter consumers from buying the CMFs. It could generally be causal collectors who are into one-off CMFs purchase may not want to get this or new incoming CMFs collectors thinking twice. For some of us, including myself, I have already sunk so deep into the LEGO CMFs and stopping one series could just telling myself that I got a gap in my LEGO CMFs collection and I can't stop plugging the gap. In short, unless the design and appeal have dropped significantly, I don't see myself giving up on LEGO CMFs. 

I am also keen to find out on Malaysia SRP, with regards to Singapore SRP as a base comparison. It's a huge pity and I don't meant for the price rant and I am not encouraging this review to be merely solely talking about the price outrage. 

14 hours ago, Tom Bombadil said:

Whitefang, thanks for the review, I always look forward to reading your CMF reviews, they are so entertaining and carry your unique style of relating back to past CMF series.

Looks like a fun series and no army building figs (good for the wallet).  I am turned off by the price hike.  I wonder are we going to pay the new pricing for future licensed CMF such as Disney CMF series 2?  For the first time since collecting CMF, I had the thought of just buying a few minifigs and not the entire collection.

Agreed with you. Like what I have mentioned above, I am sure many of us are very annoyed with the price hike and we could probably (wish) it's an one-off price increase due to DC Comics license. It's just a wishful speculation. 

10 hours ago, Faefrost said:

16. Catman - A figure I never expected, but always wanted. Catman. Alongside Deadshot, Comic Bane and other Ahrley figures we are well on our way to a Secret Six collection. Can we get a Ragdoll or Scandal Savage fig?

Yes, indeed. Secret Six is seem very possible. 

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I didn't notice before but you had to photoshoot the 19 and the 20 under King Tut and Mime

These series just keep getting bigger and bigger :laugh:

How it is not possible that you didn't pay attention to it. :tongue: 

Yes, I am missing of the '19' and '20'. I have also recently lost a number as well. That number was photoshopped too. Thus, I need to open a new LEGO calendar box, just to obtain those numbers out in the future. 

Fangy,

Thank you for yet another great review and set of photographs. A CMF series just isn't a CMF series until you have reviewed it!

I don't think anyone has mentioned that you got Glam Metal Batman's cape on slightly wrong. It should go over his pauldrons, not under.

Speaking of Glam Metal Bats, is the back of his torso plain black or does it have printing?

Here's a little titbit: March Harriet is a prostitute making her an extremely questionable character for a film and toy aimed at kids. What was LEGO thinking? *huh*

If you have time, can you please post a picture of what various costumed CMFs look like with Orca's open-mouth head? I'm particularly curious about the Series 5 Lizard Man, the Series 14 Plant Monster and the Series 15 Shark Suit Guy. Thanks!

And if anyone else in this thread points out that Calculator's visor says "HELLO" upside down, they deserve a virtual slap.

4 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

March Harriet is a prostitute making her an extremely questionable character for a film and toy aimed at kids. What was LEGO thinking?

You can say that to all the villains ever released by LEGO... specially Joker who is a psychopath. 

To support your argument, I think that Moe should have been made in Simpsons S2 if March Harriet is the benchmark. It was a missed opportunity.

The good thing is that we have another bunny costumed minifig... isn't that more important? :wacko:

Outstanding review (as always), WhiteFang! :thumbup:

For a lot of minifigures I have to wait and see the movie first.
I mean Catman??? What and why?

The part I like most is the rubber ducky float! :wub:
I expect to have this part in the City theme some time soon. Without the batman printing then. Wohoo!

6 hours ago, AmperZand said:

And if anyone else in this thread points out that Calculator's visor says "HELLO" upside down, they deserve a virtual slap.

Didn't you know that READING is completely overrated these days? :sadnew::tongue:

Great review as always Fangy!!! I just love these figs and I already pre-ordered a full box from a shop in Sweden, it breaks down to $3 each.

What - haven´t you´ve been watching the Classic Batman series ;-)?

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎26 at 2:32 PM, WhiteFang said:

Parts assortment
31431927822_e878ee2e71_o_d.jpg

The parts assortment for Dick Grayson is average. The minifigure design is pretty nice with his red top and blue bottoms. I also like the suave wavy hairstyle. The magnified spectacles also kind of make him a little studious. He is also holding a shark repellent and I wonder what is it for, and the 1x1 cylindrical cone in dark blue in printed wordings. You can take a moment and examine the details from the back view and side view. Upon removing his hairpiece, you are able to see his real face.

8 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Fangy,

Thank you for yet another great review and set of photographs. A CMF series just isn't a CMF series until you have reviewed it!

I don't think anyone has mentioned that you got Glam Metal Batman's cape on slightly wrong. It should go over his pauldrons, not under.

Speaking of Glam Metal Bats, is the back of his torso plain black or does it have printing?

Here's a little titbit: March Harriet is a prostitute making her an extremely questionable character for a film and toy aimed at kids. What was LEGO thinking? *huh*

If you have time, can you please post a picture of what various costumed CMFs look like with Orca's open-mouth head? I'm particularly curious about the Series 5 Lizard Man, the Series 14 Plant Monster and the Series 15 Shark Suit Guy. Thanks!

AmperZand, thank you. There is nil back printing for the Glam Metal Batman. After I finished with the review, I noticed I got that very minifigure (for my photoshoot) wrongly. Yes, I am aware March Harriet is a social escort, but for the benefit of young readers lurking in EB. I choose to sanction certain information. 

Here are some of the requested photos which I hope is of use. 

Battle of the monsters
31504598521_237b6a8e6c_o_d.jpg

What is this kind of monster creature?
31504604431_1d80f8d1d5_o_d.jpg

Shall we change our new cover?
31583235836_54bc6f731b_o_d.jpg

7 hours ago, makoy said:

You can say that to all the villains ever released by LEGO... specially Joker who is a psychopath. 

To support your argument, I think that Moe should have been made in Simpsons S2 if March Harriet is the benchmark. It was a missed opportunity.

The good thing is that we have another bunny costumed minifig... isn't that more important? :wacko:

Yes, I think another variant of the bunny mascot costume would be more favourable to my taste. 

1 hour ago, Holodoc said:

Outstanding review (as always), WhiteFang! :thumbup:

For a lot of minifigures I have to wait and see the movie first.
I mean Catman??? What and why?

The part I like most is the rubber ducky float! :wub:
I expect to have this part in the City theme some time soon. Without the batman printing then. Wohoo!

Didn't you know that READING is completely overrated these days? :sadnew::tongue:

Thanks Holodoc. Well, I suspect all of the minor little baddies could be making more of a camo appearance. It doesn't make sense to have so many bad guys including the new upcoming LEGO Movie sets to feature so many of them in a two-hours (avg) movie. 

23 minutes ago, CopMike said:

Great review as always Fangy!!! I just love these figs and I already pre-ordered a full box from a shop in Sweden, it breaks down to $3 each.

What - haven´t you´ve been watching the Classic Batman series ;-)?

Awesome CopMike. Glad you have managed to secure it at a very reasonable price in Sweden. Thank you for the video link. I had never watched the 1960s Batman Classic TV series and that video of the oceanic repellent spray is certainly an eye-opener. 

1 hour ago, Holodoc said:

Sadly, I think you're right in that too many people online are writing and not enough reading. The interwebchatweetbook is a graphomaniac's dream.

9 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

There is nil back printing for the Glam Metal Batman. After I finished with the review, I noticed I got that very minifigure (for my photoshoot) wrongly. Yes, I am aware March Harriet is a social escort, but for the benefit of young readers lurking in EB. I choose to sanction certain information. 

Here are some of the requested photos which I hope is of use. 

Thanks for your reply and the additional pictures, Fangy. You're the best! :thumbup: