Sign in to follow this  
Bregir

[COR-FB] The Royal Society School in King's Harbour

King's Harbour was growing rapidly, and many of the soldiers, sailors and merchants had started bringing in their wives, and with their wives came their children as well. And while initially some of the kids, in highly un-Corlander fashion, enjoyed not having to go to school, the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy quickly remedied this. While the city administration donated a large plot of land in the planned residential areas, the Royal Society has constructed a large school building, and will be sponsoring it going forward. Ensuring education for the young is an important objective of the Society, to ensure that the scientists of tomorrow are groomed from a young age.

30718520152_07207dfc29_c.jpg

Winston Fitzherbert the 3rd, fellow of the Society, will be schoolmaster for the children of King's Harbour, and his stern but fair teaching style is appreciated widely amongst both kids and parents. Just now, the kids are arriving for the first day of teaching, being welcomed by the schoolmaster and the groundskeeper. A few of the kids are running late, rushing not to be reprimanded by their new schoolmaster.

30747231391_064c17a806_c.jpg

On the first floor, the classroom is located. Below the classroom, a large library and study houses activities of more advanced students and fellows of the Society, and in the sidewing, an archive is to hold records and specimens collected by various expeditions for further study. Additionally, the groundskeeper has a small house by the gate, awarded for long services as assistant to a fellow of the Society.

Large educational facility for King's Harbour, which will be licensed by the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy. C&C welcome.

Very nice build Bregir, the white on the fence livens it up a bit as do the trees and flowers!  Those poor kids though... it must be tough slaving over Latin when there are things like Indians and unexplored jungle just miles away... :pir-grin:

20 minutes ago, Bregir said:

And while initially some of the kids, in highly un-Corlander fashion, enjoyed not having to go to school...

Maybe un-Corlander, but highly realistic! :tongue: :laugh:  Very nice build, Bregir, I really like the 2x2 tile walls and the log bricks, and the light grey and dark brown complement the tan very well! :thumbup:  For some reason I'm really attracted to your cobblestones and regularly repeating red flowers - but I'm kind of wondering if the last child leaning backwards over the railing was actually done on purpose or not :pir-laugh:  

A few other critiques I have would be on the trees (I really think they would highly benefit if you would group the colors a bit more instead of having three or four completely unrelated leaf colors on a single tree :grin:) and on the window in the garden house/fence wall, which I think would be greatly improved by being pulled out from the wall a stud (with an upward slope underneath, and cheese or a down-slope above) or indented by half a stud to make it more visually interest, or to otherwise define the edges of the house a little, since the random window in the fence it is just a bit glaring as it is :pir-grin:

But overall a very nice job, keep it up (and maybe the ETWC should invest in a blackboard monopoly or something, since the demand seems to be pretty high :pir_tong2:)!
:pir-sweet:

Oh nooooes - a school!!! Or is it a brick factory:grin:

Jokes aside, this is a very nice MOC - detailed (favorite bit is the wall pattern :wub:) and profound in character, love you tied it in with the Royal Society :thumbup:

Poor kids, though

19 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

it must be tough slaving over Latin when there are things like Indians and unexplored jungle just miles away... :pir-grin:

Exactly :grin:

Excellent build! I especially like the use of columns and arches to add detail to what could have been a bland structure. Add the beautiful landscaping and good story, and this is a winner all around! :thumbup:

Neat and civilized, it looks! If I have any kids in the future, they sure will be enlisted in here. Just to avoid my ways :-)

Very nice Bregir, King's Harbour is really taking off this month! The bley columns with the 1x1 round and normal plates on top are a really nice touch, I'll be borrowing that one! The SNOT walls on the first story are also a highlight, as are the grounds, fences and ground keepers cottage... actually is there anything left not standing out... nupe, don't think so!! Great job all round!