Garmadon

ETWC Ship - The Fog-Breaker

Having seen things satisfactorily settled for the present in Terreli, much to his delight and the amusement of all others, Captain Whiffo had sent Myles off with the Second Mate to the shipwrights of the Capital to commission the preparation of a new ETWC sloop at the shortest notice possible... and, finding that "the shortest notice possible" exceeded his own ideas of propriety (which were quite unique, by the way), he sailed off instantly to return to the New World, leaving a letter behind him at the hotel to let his mates know what was up.  

But, as the reader has probably guessed, it wasn't very elucidating - yet notwithstanding, our ingenious First Mate got as much out of it as practicable, and proceeded to take temporary command of the Fog-Breaker, to go and attempt to find his eccentric Captain somewhere to the east of Terraversa...

31055762782_c39a717a3a_z.jpg

Fair skies and fair winds soon saw them off in the direction of Pontelli...

31055780062_c38336d255_z.jpg

Our randomly promoted (at least for now) First Mate:

30831944000_018fec4b52_z.jpg

And, the Second Mate by the wheel:

30392379873_6e25e29033_z.jpg

The newest addition to the ETWC Eslandolan fleet, the Fog-Breaker is a fast trading sloop, built strong enough to weather the toughest gale, and yet sleek enough to cut through the water far faster than most of its possible enemies.  Notwithstanding, it is armed with an 18 pounder in the bow, and the crew have weapons enough to be armed to the teeth.  

30392104173_c714d63acf_z.jpg

Like my other ship, as well, it has a full interior, accessible by the removable deck - which, unlike last time, note, is actually easily removable!  Instead of studs-up I went for an entirely SNOTted deck that sits inside the hull connected by the stud on the bottom half of the mast, and the rigging was designed with the removable deck in view (also unlike last time! :grin: :laugh:)

30378087594_d226ce9172_z.jpg

The ship's-cook (those guys always seem to have a difficult life, for some reason :grin: :laugh:)

30831999390_7033c3037f_z.jpg

And the cabin.  Given the raised quarterdeck, the two parts came off separately - and thankfully the quarterdeck didn't have any rigging in the way!

31199425465_1503fd4155_z.jpg

The bow and cannon:

30832197050_023f76ba40_z.jpg

And a few random rigging shots which I thought were too cool to do away with! :grin:

31163612156_78d5571ed1_z.jpg

The fighting-top:

30392365203_e833865ee7_z.jpg

And a top-down view:

31055844182_454f31d810_z.jpg

And, wrapping up with a couple of overviews:

30392129893_1b77d09b20_z.jpg

30392152863_45718822c4_z.jpg

And the crew - left to right, the ship's cook, a nondescript sailor, the Second Mate, the First Mate (previously Second Mate of the Henri), and Myles Bowditch, temporary Captain:

31085362601_cbe2d6663c_z.jpg

And lastly the classic shot (just leaving Terreli - at least, that's my excuse for my photo-setup being surrounded by trees, :tongue: :laugh:)

30392430833_c30718a083_z.jpg

Well, well, about this ship - This was supposed to be an experiment to find out how quickly I could build a ship, but as I got distracted about the middle of the building process and took a break to build my large-ish Weyworth Keep which swallowed up about two months, I'm afraid it ended up taking even longer than my last!  Nevertheless, it's been sitting around (the pictures, that is - the rest didn't last very long! :grin:) for about a month or so waiting for me to get around to editing them.  But that said, here it is, so enjoy!

On another note, I'm rather wondering what I ought to licence this as, so suggestions are quite welcome!  I was planning on building a 2F for my free licence, but it ended up getting a bit out of hand, and Kai says she'd probably make it a 4 :tongue:  (Note that the full-scale sails do seem to dwarf it, so you'll have to scale it by the minifigs on deck :pir_laugh2:).  I'm thinking a 3F would probably be the best fit...

And, as I mentioned for the next time I used it, I've got a tutorial for the cannon design ready (though I don't think it's all that complicated or too original :grin:), but I'm not quite sure if I should dedicate an entire new topic to it or if that (probably) is a bit much...

Regardless, anyhow, thanks for viewing, C&C are always more than welcome!

Really cool ship Garmadon, sleek and smooth and to my inexpert eye the rigging looks needlessly accurate. :pir-grin:  Great job on the interior and on the edited shots as well! :thumbup:  Neat minifigs too though it seems to be quite a young crew!

That is a nice ship, Garmadon!

The attention to detail is excellent, especially in the rigging!  The hull shaping gives a realistic and curving appearance.  The inclusion of a cabin is great.  Covering almost all studs provides a very clean appearance to your ship.  I like the different colors on the crew members.

That cook would likely have trouble with an open cooking fire on the deck of a ship! :tongue:

Beautiful ship! Great shape -- not just the hull, but the sail plan as well. Clean with great details, and I find it amazing that the rigging is removable (and the rigging itself is fantastic). Superb ship!

As for what to classify it, my initial thought on seeing it was that it was a class 2, so 2F seems perfect to me. It might be able to pass as a class 3, but most class 3 ships, by their descriptions, would have 2 masts. Class 4 ships would have 2 or 3 masts, and i think it is much too small for a class 4 anyway. But regardless of what you register it as, it's gorgeous!

Waw, that brickbuilt-hull is abslutely stunning!

I also like the images with background, the ship fits really well!

13 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Really cool ship Garmadon, sleek and smooth and to my inexpert eye the rigging looks needlessly accurate. :pir-grin:  Great job on the interior and on the edited shots as well! :thumbup:  Neat minifigs too though it seems to be quite a young crew!

:pir_laugh2: Thanks Kai!  Well, it started out with the temporary Captain, and since he was so young I kind of had to make all the others young too :grin:

11 hours ago, Slegengr said:

That is a nice ship, Garmadon!

The attention to detail is excellent, especially in the rigging!  The hull shaping gives a realistic and curving appearance.  The inclusion of a cabin is great.  Covering almost all studs provides a very clean appearance to your ship.  I like the different colors on the crew members.

That cook would likely have trouble with an open cooking fire on the deck of a ship! :tongue:

Thanks Sleg!  The rigging on this one was thankfully not too incredibly complex, and I think it only took me about a day or two (compared to about a month for the rigging, sails, and masts on my other ship :grin:)... but previous experience probably had a little bit to do with that too! :tongue:  And yes, that's probably why he's so nervous, :laugh:  I did put it on a small sandpit, but given the space constraints that was about the safest I could do (now let's just hope my first MRCA result isn't, "burnt down to the keel by a careless cook" :laugh: :tongue:)!

6 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Beautiful ship! Great shape -- not just the hull, but the sail plan as well. Clean with great details, and I find it amazing that the rigging is removable (and the rigging itself is fantastic). Superb ship!

As for what to classify it, my initial thought on seeing it was that it was a class 2, so 2F seems perfect to me. It might be able to pass as a class 3, but most class 3 ships, by their descriptions, would have 2 masts. Class 4 ships would have 2 or 3 masts, and i think it is much too small for a class 4 anyway. But regardless of what you register it as, it's gorgeous!

Thanks a lot, Capt Wolf!  By the time I was done with my previous ship, I found that the full interior was almost completely inaccessible without some serious destruction, so I wanted to make sure that this one would work better! :grin:  Since the is attached to the deck rather than to the hull itself, most of the rigging is thankfully just attached on deck, so all I have to do to take it off is to snap off the ratline holder (or whatever the technical name of that thing is!) on the hull attached by just a couple of studs, and remove a couple of pieces from the railing, and, voila! :pir_laugh2:

Yes, the sail-plan is definitely a Class 2 type rig, but you see I went for a very much more to-scale size for the mast and sails than usual (the boom is 24+ studs long :grin:), so the hull ended up quite large for a Class 2 (45+ studs, I believe) - I'll most likely go for a Class 3F (but probably as soon as I decide the new system will be put in place rendering this all futile :laugh:).  Thanks! :pir-sweet:

3 hours ago, TitusV said:

Waw, that brickbuilt-hull is abslutely stunning!

I also like the images with background, the ship fits really well!

Thanks, Titus! :pir-sweet:  Brick-built hulls for the win! :pir-wink:

WoooooW! I love small to mid ranged ships and this is a veeeery nice addittion to your fleet! What i like about it, is that it is so playable (with her removable decks and all) and that if i could measure how much i like this ship of yours, then it would be 130%, given that 100% goes to the ship (design and such) and 30% over the top, for your excellently chosen backgrounds and photo-editing skills of yours.

A question about your technique though: How would you describe the hull, fragile or not?

This is actually a pretty spectacular little build. Though it's full of amusing and interesting detail, I think the best part is how understated it is. The below deck and removable weather deck is very well done. Your rig is very convincing and rather complete, so complete that it seems you may have a few extra lines up forrud that aren’t doing anything (yet?). Your quality photography and photoshop work lend a lot to the overall effect. Thanks for sharing! 

Apologies as I seem to be covering some old ground here. I had to step away after I started composing my reply and took my rime getting back.  :blush:

An awesome looking ship! I really like her overall shape and the technique you've used for the brick built hull.

Also, the close up shots of the hull without the masts are really helpful to study the hull technique, thanks!

Another brilliant vessel from your hands, Garmadon. The technique you used on your larger vessel lends itself well to be scaled down, and I really like the look of her. The hull has some beautiful curves, and I like how the quarterdeck is subtly raised to allow for that pretty little cabin. The inclusion of an interior is just amazing. I would say that the hull is as wide as it can be for that length but it works. I am not too fond of the two unattached tiles at the start of the quarterdeck, though. Seems a bit like Lego heresy! :pir-tongue:

The rigging is near perfect to my eyes, and you have included a lot of great details. My only comment is, that your topsail seems a bit large compared to the course (lower sail), which might be remedied by raising the yard for the course a bit. Otherwise, great work!

As to rating:

On 24/11/2016 at 1:06 PM, Garmadon said:

45+ studs, I believe

I can't by any reckoning get above 32 studs or so in hull-length. I think this places the vessel well within the lower end of class 3. I think it would be quite a stretch to make her a class 4. I believe this is quite a bit smaller than my class three otter, and significantly smaller than my class 4 Athena, both of which I personally think are quite good representations of their class.

On 24/11/2016 at 5:51 AM, Capt Wolf said:

I mostly agree with this, but would say that in my mind, one masted vessels could be up to class 3, while two masters would be from class 2 to 5, and three masted vessels typically would be 5 or higher, although smaller schooners as such might make them class 4. But that is my personal evaluation based on a benchmark of a 6th rate frigate being class 6 and on the current vessels licensed.

59 minutes ago, Bregir said:

As to rating:

I can't by any reckoning get above 32 studs or so in hull-length. I think this places the vessel well within the lower end of class 3. I think it would be quite a stretch to make her a class 4. I believe this is quite a bit smaller than my class three otter, and significantly smaller than my class 4 Athena, both of which I personally think are quite good representations of their class.

Okay, I'm not Garmadon, but I can prove you wrong here: (Garmadon, I hope you don't mind me uploading a slightly modified copy of your image, else I'll delete it)
31126109061_c6713c60a6.jpg
Not quite 45, more like 42, but certainly a lot more than 32. A scaling tool is always useful. But I do agree that the proposed rating of a class 3F would be well fitting. For the scale I took a 1x2 tile @Bregir

@Garmadon For your cannon design: I can only promote the Foundry, submissions go here .

For Feedback (finally!), I think this ship is great! I already told you I really like the way you constructed the mast, and the rigging is great too! I think enough has already been said about the hull, I'll just add another "looking good!" to the list ;)

Edited by Legostone

Admittedly, I just tried by hand to figure out her length! :P What I can't make out by your pic, LS, is what you use for benchmark/scale. I took the 1x6 tile on the quarterdeck railing for a quick reckoning, but I also underestimated Garm's last ship, so it might be a repeat of an old error. :) However, I would still say class 3F. 4 seems quite a stretch to me. :)

58 minutes ago, Bregir said:

...I think it would be quite a stretch to make her a class 4...

In defense of my good name, I was joking when I said that if it were me, I'd license it as a 4... :laugh: :pir-grin:

On 11/24/2016 at 0:38 PM, blackdeathgr said:

WoooooW! I love small to mid ranged ships and this is a veeeery nice addittion to your fleet! What i like about it, is that it is so playable (with her removable decks and all) and that if i could measure how much i like this ship of yours, then it would be 130%, given that 100% goes to the ship (design and such) and 30% over the top, for your excellently chosen backgrounds and photo-editing skills of yours.

A question about your technique though: How would you describe the hull, fragile or not?

:laugh: :grin: Thanks a lot, blackdeathgr, really glad you like it!  I enjoyed building something a little smaller than my first ship (probably mostly because I wasn't incessantly running out of pieces this time, haha!), but the interior was definitely a bit more complicated and a little less refined given the space constraints.  But I completely plan to stay within the Class 1 to 5 range for a while after this, so you can expect more mid range ships from me! :pir-sweet:

I'd definitely say it is not fragile - even with the masts it was quite swooshable (if I may be permitted the sci-fi term over here! :grin:) and the only thing that restrained it from total solidness was that the railing to which the backstays were attached didn't hold them back incredibly tightly (it was only attached by a single stud).  But the hull itself was probably about as sturdy as they get! :pir-wink:

18 hours ago, kurigan said:

This is actually a pretty spectacular little build. Though it's full of amusing and interesting detail, I think the best part is how understated it is. The below deck and removable weather deck is very well done. Your rig is very convincing and rather complete, so complete that it seems you may have a few extra lines up forrud that aren’t doing anything (yet?). Your quality photography and photoshop work lend a lot to the overall effect. Thanks for sharing! 

Apologies as I seem to be covering some old ground here. I had to step away after I started composing my reply and took my rime getting back.  :blush:

Thanks a lot, kurigan, I'm quite glad that you like it!  Yes, I admittedly did add the last line up front there simply to completely steady the mast and bowsprit and to fill up the space there that was just begging for some rigging! - so I have no idea if that would help on a real ship :laugh:  The rest were all drawn from a few pictures of sloops, however - but, just out of curiosity, are the staysail/jib lines removed when those sails aren't set?  I did have them all here but just thought that from the artistic perspective the ship was better without the jibs for the moment :grin:  Thanks again!

17 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

An awesome looking ship! I really like her overall shape and the technique you've used for the brick built hull.

Also, the close up shots of the hull without the masts are really helpful to study the hull technique, thanks!

Ah, yes, that's yet another plus when it comes to interiors! :laugh:  Thanks Ayrlego, I found the math involved in the hull technique (which is entirely based on 1/2 plate offsets) quite enjoyable! 

2 hours ago, Bregir said:

Another brilliant vessel from your hands, Garmadon. The technique you used on your larger vessel lends itself well to be scaled down, and I really like the look of her. The hull has some beautiful curves, and I like how the quarterdeck is subtly raised to allow for that pretty little cabin. The inclusion of an interior is just amazing. I would say that the hull is as wide as it can be for that length but it works. I am not too fond of the two unattached tiles at the start of the quarterdeck, though. Seems a bit like Lego heresy! :pir-tongue:

The rigging is near perfect to my eyes, and you have included a lot of great details. My only comment is, that your topsail seems a bit large compared to the course (lower sail), which might be remedied by raising the yard for the course a bit. Otherwise, great work!

As to rating:

I mostly agree with this, but would say that in my mind, one masted vessels could be up to class 3, while two masters would be from class 2 to 5, and three masted vessels typically would be 5 or higher, although smaller schooners as such might make them class 4. But that is my personal evaluation based on a benchmark of a 6th rate frigate being class 6 and on the current vessels licensed.

Thanks, Bregir, I always appreciate your thorough critiques (even if you are constantly underestimating my hull size :pir_tong2:)!  While the slope-hull is the same, the rest of the hull is actually very much different than my previous one, as I wished to step out more gradually and incorporate a bit of a subtle curve which the Henri didn't have.  The only problem with that was that it made the interior quite complicated with all the minuscule offsets to deal with! :grin:  And yes, I'm rather afraid of trying out a full interior with anything smaller than this barring a full hull (which I don't think I'll do anytime too soon! :laugh:)  Well, well, I did try to get them attached but there was really no other way to finish off the railing! :grin:

About the size, well, my advice would be to always use the interior overview shot to estimate the size of my ships, as that is the only thing that will give you a decent idea as to size! :laugh: :grin:  Like Kai said, my remarkably large sails tend to throw off the reckoning, and I'm sure all the SNOT-work didn't help!  As you can see from this picture:

30378087594_d226ce9172_z.jpg

The middle section (the tiles mid-ship on the hull) are ten studs in length, and a quick calculation from that gave me 45+ (there's nearly if not quite twice that length ahead, and about 1.5 as many studs behind).  But never fear, I was definitely not going to licence it as a Class 4, let Kai say what she pleases! :tongue: :laugh:

1 hour ago, Legostone said:

Okay, I'm not Garmadon, but I can prove you wrong here: (Garmadon, I hope you don't mind me uploading a slightly modified copy of your image, else I'll delete it)
<pic>
Not quite 45, more like 42, but certainly a lot more than 32. A scaling tool is always useful. But I do agree that the proposed rating of a class 3F would be well fitting. For the scale I took a 1x2 tile @Bregir

@Garmadon For your cannon design: I can only promote the Foundry, submissions go here .

For Feedback (finally!), I think this ship is great! I already told you I really like the way you constructed the mast, and the rigging is great too! I think enough has already been said about the hull, I'll just add another "looking good!" to the list ;)

No problem!  Thanks a lot for that link, I'll certainly post it over there, but I took a couple other shots in context today, and may just make a topic here as well :pir-wink: 
  As to the rest, thanks! :pir-sweet:

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Admittedly, I just tried by hand to figure out her length! :P What I can't make out by your pic, LS, is what you use for benchmark/scale. I took the 1x6 tile on the quarterdeck railing for a quick reckoning, but I also underestimated Garm's last ship, so it might be a repeat of an old error. :) However, I would still say class 3F. 4 seems quite a stretch to me. :)

:laugh: Well, I think a 3F it is if we don't have a new system before the next MRCA!  But I was really just asking about Class 2 or 3, you know, just to know if I'd be able to get away with my free licence for it! :tongue: :grin:  Thanks for the advice again! :pir-sweet:

My apologies upfront if this gets a bit long winded or overly informative. I find with such nautical matters, understanding one ship's system requires knowledge of three more with which it must work in concert. 

That's a very good question, and I'm mortally certain you're not the first to wonder. Those lines out in front are infact "stays". They are a member of the ship's standing rig which pretty much ties everything down. You see, masts do go all the way down to the keel where large blocks of wood pin it in place. There is nothing down there keeping it in the hull though. That's the job of shrouds and stays. Shrouds are the "A" frame shaped lines on the side of the mast, with the rope ladders, called "ratlines" between them. They do most of the holding down of the mast and fight the forces of the ship rolling side to side or pitching for and aft. Particularly when the pressure of the wind is added to the weight of the mast though a bit more insurance is needed, lest the mast spring free or break leaving the ship utterly crippled. This is where the stays come in, running for and aft to distribute that force back down to the hull. There are "backstays" which anchor to the hull somewhere aft of the mast they support and "forestay" which conversely, connect forward of their mast. They are a permanent part of a ship's rig, though they do sometimes require adjustment. 

Now those triangular sails out in front are called "head sails" because they are at the head of the ship. There are "staysails" and "jibs" both, out there. Staysails are attached to the stay they follow to keep the sail stiff along the luff. Though this would change later in history, part of what draws a distinction between a staysail and a jib, is that a jib is not attached to a stay, but is simply strung tight between the halyard and downhaul. You've also, perhaps heard the phrase "I like the cut of your jib"? This references the other key difference. Again it depends where in the world and when in history, how distinct the difference actually is. A jib is a different shape and it sewn together in a different pattern than a staysail. Because a jib is not employed like other sails of the time, it has to be made differently. More like a modern kite sail or spinnaker, a jib, is really more like a windsock than a sail. So the clue is placed more centrally and the stitching will run perpendicular to the luff, rather than following the leech. So, the different shape and stitching pattern is the "cut" of a jib you've hears do much about. 

Ok that's getting really technical and heavy. Let's leave off with the lesson for now, and let everyone digest it. If you come across a term you don’t know you can come ask me, but I also make sure to use terms you can Google to get a clear answer, so go ahead and copy and paste. 

On Fog Breaker, it's not necessarily likely they she'd be sailing without at least something set ahead of the mast. Yeah it would work, and ships got along for a very long time without them, but head sails help a ship handle by putting pressure on the rudder. With more force applied against the faces of the rudder the pressure differential by which the thing functions will be greater, thus a more responsive helm. However, it really doesn't matter. There are myriad excuses as to why this ship's master doesn't have any canvas out there (yet?) and it's just a model. They don’t all have to be 100% accurate all the way to completion. Sometimes you just don’t get to it before you move on, or the spirit never moves you to finish/add that element. We've all been there. 

As for the extra stay, it's funny that I bothered to point it out as I'm guilty of the same thing over on Reckless. According to a lot of the materials I was able to find, Alert only has one staysail up forward, but I needed the one more stay where the inner jib would be, just to keep the mast from leaning back to far. So, she'll have two staysails and one jib, much like I imagine your Fog Breaker would. 

Wohoo, that's a neat little boat ship you got there, Garm. But then in fact, she isn't all little... but still cute :laugh:

The hull looks marvelous, loving the interior and the overall colors you used. Rigging is excellent IMO, and adds a lot to making the Fog-Breaker an outstanding little... öhh... medium sized vessel in BoBS :thumbup:

I think I'm in love with that second picture :wub:

More ships, please!

Thanks for the informative post, Kurigan.

Only thing I would add is that given the placement of the mast, this is certainly cutter (if the mast was much further forward, it would be a sloop). And a cutter would most definitely carry headsails. The whole idea of the cutter as a development of the sloop was to limit the size of the spanker sail to make it more manageable. To maintain speed and balance, a higher emphasis was placed on headsails.

However,in this particular case, the headsails may have been taken in for repairs, or some other excuse :)

Edited by Bregir

Sorry for not getting around to replying until now! :grin:

On 11/26/2016 at 3:02 AM, kurigan said:

My apologies upfront if this gets a bit long winded or overly informative. I find with such nautical matters, understanding one ship's system requires knowledge of three more with which it must work in concert. 

That's a very good question, and I'm mortally certain you're not the first to wonder. Those lines out in front are infact "stays". They are a member of the ship's standing rig which pretty much ties everything down. You see, masts do go all the way down to the keel where large blocks of wood pin it in place. There is nothing down there keeping it in the hull though. That's the job of shrouds and stays. Shrouds are the "A" frame shaped lines on the side of the mast, with the rope ladders, called "ratlines" between them. They do most of the holding down of the mast and fight the forces of the ship rolling side to side or pitching for and aft. Particularly when the pressure of the wind is added to the weight of the mast though a bit more insurance is needed, lest the mast spring free or break leaving the ship utterly crippled. This is where the stays come in, running for and aft to distribute that force back down to the hull. There are "backstays" which anchor to the hull somewhere aft of the mast they support and "forestay" which conversely, connect forward of their mast. They are a permanent part of a ship's rig, though they do sometimes require adjustment. 

Now those triangular sails out in front are called "head sails" because they are at the head of the ship. There are "staysails" and "jibs" both, out there. Staysails are attached to the stay they follow to keep the sail stiff along the luff. Though this would change later in history, part of what draws a distinction between a staysail and a jib, is that a jib is not attached to a stay, but is simply strung tight between the halyard and downhaul. You've also, perhaps heard the phrase "I like the cut of your jib"? This references the other key difference. Again it depends where in the world and when in history, how distinct the difference actually is. A jib is a different shape and it sewn together in a different pattern than a staysail. Because a jib is not employed like other sails of the time, it has to be made differently. More like a modern kite sail or spinnaker, a jib, is really more like a windsock than a sail. So the clue is placed more centrally and the stitching will run perpendicular to the luff, rather than following the leech. So, the different shape and stitching pattern is the "cut" of a jib you've hears do much about. 

Ok that's getting really technical and heavy. Let's leave off with the lesson for now, and let everyone digest it. If you come across a term you don’t know you can come ask me, but I also make sure to use terms you can Google to get a clear answer, so go ahead and copy and paste. 

On Fog Breaker, it's not necessarily likely they she'd be sailing without at least something set ahead of the mast. Yeah it would work, and ships got along for a very long time without them, but head sails help a ship handle by putting pressure on the rudder. With more force applied against the faces of the rudder the pressure differential by which the thing functions will be greater, thus a more responsive helm. However, it really doesn't matter. There are myriad excuses as to why this ship's master doesn't have any canvas out there (yet?) and it's just a model. They don’t all have to be 100% accurate all the way to completion. Sometimes you just don’t get to it before you move on, or the spirit never moves you to finish/add that element. We've all been there. 

As for the extra stay, it's funny that I bothered to point it out as I'm guilty of the same thing over on Reckless. According to a lot of the materials I was able to find, Alert only has one staysail up forward, but I needed the one more stay where the inner jib would be, just to keep the mast from leaning back to far. So, she'll have two staysails and one jib, much like I imagine your Fog Breaker would. 

Thanks a lot for the informative post, Kurigan!  And, no, I'm afraid the Fog-Breaker won't be getting any more fixes (except in-story), though, as it's been sorted out long ago! :grin:  It's always good to know for the next time, though! :pir-sweet:

On 11/26/2016 at 8:17 AM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Wohoo, that's a neat little boat ship you got there, Garm. But then in fact, she isn't all little... but still cute :laugh:

The hull looks marvelous, loving the interior and the overall colors you used. Rigging is excellent IMO, and adds a lot to making the Fog-Breaker an outstanding little... öhh... medium sized vessel in BoBS :thumbup:

I think I'm in love with that second picture :wub:

More ships, please!

:laugh: :pir-laugh: Thanks KB, really glad you like my little boat ship!  I'm planning on it! :pir-wink: :pir-sweet:

On 11/26/2016 at 9:38 AM, Bregir said:

Thanks for the informative post, Kurigan.

Only thing I would add is that given the placement of the mast, this is certainly cutter (if the mast was much further forward, it would be a sloop). And a cutter would most definitely carry headsails. The whole idea of the cutter as a development of the sloop was to limit the size of the spanker sail to make it more manageable. To maintain speed and balance, a higher emphasis was placed on headsails.

However,in this particular case, the headsails may have been taken in for repairs, or some other excuse :)

Ah, I see - I'll remember to bring a bucket-load of excuses next time I omit them! :tongue: :laugh:  JK, thanks Bregir!

On 11/26/2016 at 10:43 AM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Very beautiful custom ship - hull and rigging are excellent.

Great to see it sail into the sunset :thumbup:

Thanks a lot, Captain B!  Let's just hope it'll sail back again! :laugh: