Murdoch17

Neo Nexus Force - battle cruiser 70816 MOD and support fighters

IN REALITY:

This ship was originally set 70816, Benny's spaceship (x3), with the Unkiitty seat and radar dish removed in favor of a skylight and laser gun turret instead. The sliding wings were redesigned to be stationary and thus provide space under the turret for commander Bob. The ship also has separate passageways for crew to walk so they don't have to go outside to go to Bob, engineering, or the bridge.  Oh yeah, and it's orange now!

I was inspired to build this model by this cool ship by Oran Cruzen as seen here.

31605746721_5f6d41e883_z.jpg

IN FICTION:

The Bright Future was designed with help from Benny the 1980-something space guy. This heavily armed ship was designed to replace the lighter Bright Hope, which was heavily damaged in a firefight between two Maelstrom Void-Ships. (The enemy was defeated with help from the allied Nortsa sister ship Shining Star and the Odyssey II space laser, but at great cost.)

The glaring problems in the design of the Bright Hope led the  design crew to the master space-designer Benny, who in turn took his original SPACESHIP(!) design to the next level with more armor and sleeker wing profile. The wings were then redesigned to reduce hyper-space speed but allow for greater range. Bob was even given an office where the wing extender mechanism was!

31605746941_aaef65cfdc_z.jpg

The rear of the ship has three engines.

30879683234_fd78cc41b6_z.jpg

The rear of the ship has three engines and a rotating, elevating quad-gun turret.

30880421484_2ba549e0e7_z.jpg

This small and nimble fighter was designed after looking at a Classic Space model I found on my hard-drive. (I think it was inspired by a model my brother bought off Brick-Link a couple years back.) Anyway, I then tore the model apart and have added four guns, larger wings, and the larger air intakes from my Nexus tower rocket.

30880421004_a1c366faf7_z.jpg

The ship features an enlarged cockpit with controls and seating for one figure.

31348958510_a22bc22bd7_z.jpg

The rear of the model features one tail-fin and two engines exhaust ports.

The rest of my Neo-Nexus force stuff is seen in topics here and here.

Comments, Questions, & complaints are always welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

31490692365_5812e0f28e_z.jpg

After finding about 100+ parts for my Neo Nexus Force MOD of Benny's sSS! (70816), I have ordered the 600-odd parts seen above to finish the main model, + Benny's car + fix a cockpit error with the space fighters I already have... all for $115 US from three sellers. (before shipping and handling fees, of course)

31374810541_aee95bae1f_z.jpg

These are the parts I found in my bins for the spaceship.

These models should be finished in a week and a half, maybe less.

Any thoughts?

Looks great. 

On 12/7/2016 at 2:06 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Any thoughts?

Sure.  Looking forward to seeing it finished, in bricks.  The design is great, nice turret on the back, and these guys don't get enough attention; they make an excellent alternate space faction.

On 12/10/2016 at 11:42 PM, Space Police XVIII said:

Looks great. 

Sure.  Looking forward to seeing it finished, in bricks.  The design is great, nice turret on the back, and these guys don't get enough attention; they make an excellent alternate space faction.

Thank you! I've just updated the thread with pictures of the brick builds.

30880422384_8a156c7446_z.jpg

I hope you like them!

31175025073_c8bb88c627_z.jpg

I've just built a micro scale version of this ship for my space station.

31610699210_a29eb043df_z.jpg

The ship has three engines, a quad-turret, and two canopies. What do you think?

Edited by Murdoch17

Kinda nice. The fighters remind me more of a kind of snowspeeder then aircraft though without wings.

I really should assemble Benny's Spaceship again. But alot of parts are embedded in an old Lego Ideas proposal ( LL 924 Transporter ).