Crazy Packers Fan

[MOC] Architecture - World Trade Center

Hi, I'm new here, but a LEGO fan my whole life. I know this topic is a bit sensitive - let me make it clear that this is done in complete respect and honor of those who were lost on 9/11, and that if LEGO were to ever release such a set, they should donate some proceeds to the families of the victims.

In any case, I have decided to dip my toe into the world of "serious" building. I've got 100,000 LEGO bricks scattered around my house, but about 99,000 of them are useless for "serious" building because they're highly specialized parts from stuff like UFO, Exploriens, Insectoids, etc. So I decided for my first serious project I'd use LEGO's Pick-a-Brick feature. I thought up my idea for this project in my mind and then ordered the pieces, so aside from two pieces, this is all from the Pick-a-Brick order.

My project was to recreate the original World Trade Center as an Architecture-scale set, so I wanted to recreate the narrow windows. Using inspiration from other bigger, better renditions of the WTC, I decided to go with the radiator grilles for the windows. However, I ran into problems when I failed to realize that the bricks with knobs do not connect to each other vertically! Thus the model you see below has an entire stack of pieces with knobs pointed inward, completely useless and easily replaceable by normal 1x2 bricks. My miscalculation completely changed everything, but I got essentially what I wanted.

Since the knob pieces do not connect vertically (and I miscalculated that they would), there's a gap in between each "floor" of windows. I hate the gaps and they bother me so bad, but at this point I'd have to completely rethink the model if I was to find a way to fix them. The two bigger gaps are intentional, but the smaller ones are not. I did not include the smaller buildings of the WTC but I may add them later. The dot you see is supposed to be "The Sphere," the statue at the bottom of the WTC which somehow survived the attacks.

Without further ado, here is the link to view the pics. I'm terrible at pics, so you'll see anime stuff in the background!

LEGO Architecture - World Trade Center

I welcome constructive criticism. Please give your thoughts, especially any on how to fix the gap problem. I'm not a LEGO newbie but I didn't realize that the knobs do not connect vertically. A rookie mistake, I guess. Thoughts on scale, height, width, etc. especially the antenna, are helpful. Thank you!

Hey, nice Architecture scale work there. I think you've got the overal concept right - you just need to align your grill pieces better (especially at the bottom they look wonky). Also, read up on the dimensions of a LEGO brick - bricks are 3 plates high, and the height to width ratio is 6:5. So to make a tile fit over 2 side-studs vertically you need to insert 2 plates between the bricks with studs on the side, however, that creates a 1 stud gap between the two studs, so it would need a 1x3 tile at a minimum to work. For a 1x2 grill tile like you try to use I would recommend looking into the various brackets LEGO makes, especially a combination of the 1x2 - 2x2 Brackets (either normal or the up variant) and the 1x2 - 1x4 brackets in up and normal versions. You can line those up in such a way that they will hold a 1x2 tile vertically.

Edited by Phil B