Sign in to follow this  
Aanchir

[MOC] Toxicarosa

30953645271_aaffbde44e_z.jpg
31067809815_85a82a0bff_z.jpg
31032052286_7fc8a225cc_z.jpg

A fearsome, curvy LEGO Bionicle/Hero Factory villain I built this week.
She stands 42 modules/33.6 centimeters/13.25 inches tall and has 26 points of articulation. Her name means "poisonous rose".

Check out the Flickr album for more photos! Feedback welcomed!

Wow. Wonderful usage of those IFB Cocoons. I'm shocked at how well they work for making curves even though that seems completely obvious. Like, (and I know this sounds weird, but) I can't get over how good it works for her bust.

Honestly, my only issue (and this may just be the photography) is that she seems to be leaning forward. Like, the waist is set a bit too far...

Otherwise, amazing job! Mind if I draw pictures of her sometime?

On 21.11.2016 at 1:03 AM, Kalhiki said:

Honestly, my only issue (and this may just be the photography) is that she seems to be leaning forward.

You would lean forward too if you had... uhm... such a prominent chest. :P

I'm not sure why but the 'leaf' pieces remind me of exposed muscles, especially in red... However, It isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it lends itself well to the creepy looks. With that said, if I were you, I'd make them all the same color (or simply ditch the blue because I don't really like it being used with green) but I guess you wanted to make the color scheme more striking and toxic and that's fine - you could also switch them around a little bit, e.g. make the cocoon pieces on her torso the same color to make them look like a bodysuit. I also regret to say that I'm not really fond of the headdress. I doesn't make much sense to me and distracts from the appearance of the Skull Mask. Personally, I'd connect the petals the other way around to make the entire head look like some kind of a twisted, evil flower.
Despite my criticism, I think the MOC is decent - she's got nice if a bit exaggerated physique (ungh, that came out wrong! >.<), consistent aesthetics and some really interesting building techniques.

Edited by Onepu the Protector

On 11/20/2016 at 7:03 PM, Kalhiki said:

Wow. Wonderful usage of those IFB Cocoons. I'm shocked at how well they work for making curves even though that seems completely obvious. Like, (and I know this sounds weird, but) I can't get over how good it works for her bust.

Honestly, my only issue (and this may just be the photography) is that she seems to be leaning forward. Like, the waist is set a bit too far...

Otherwise, amazing job! Mind if I draw pictures of her sometime?

I have her posed sort of badly in those turnaround photos, but rest assured that she can stand straight — I've had her standing on the floor for a little over a day just to make sure there are no serious balance issues.

I don't think I've ever had anybody ask me for permission to draw one of my MOCs. Be my guest!

1 hour ago, Onepu the Protector said:

You would lean forward too if you had... uhm... such a prominent chest. :P

I'm not sure why but the 'leaf' pieces remind me of exposed muscles, especially in red... However, It isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it lends itself well to the creepy looks. With that said, if I were you, I'd make them all the same color (or simply ditch the blue because I don't really like it being used with green) but I guess you wanted to make the color scheme more striking and toxic and that's fine - you could also switch them around a little bit, e.g. make the cocoon pieces on her torso the same color to make them look like a bodysuit. I also regret to say that I'm not really fond of the headdress. I doesn't make much sense to me and distracts from the appearance of the Skull Mask. Personally, I'd connect the petals the other way around to make the entire head look like some kind of a twisted, evil flower.
Despite my criticism, I think the MOC is decent - she's got nice if a bit exaggerated physique (ungh, that came out wrong! >.<), consistent aesthetics and some really interesting building techniques.

I do like having all three colors of petals, but I agree that the color distribution could use work. My options with the petals were limited somewhat because I only have 16 petal pieces (four green, six red, and six blue), and I've been having some issues with my checking account I'd like to get resolved before making any new BrickLink orders. Originally I was going to have the entire torso use one color of petal, but those plans fell through when I realized the upper back would require two petals rather than just one. Next time I make a BrickLink order I do hope to get more of the petals so I can play around with the color distribution some more.

Part of my motivation with the headdress was to make the head appear larger than if I just used a basic mask, and to extend the petal motif to the head. The shape was also sort of inspired by Alexandrite from Steven Universe, albeit without the long hair trailing behind. Inverting the petals is an interesting thought, although testing it out now, I'm worried that angling them so they don't obscure the face from side view makes the petals on the sides of the head look too much like giant ears. :look:

And yes, the physique is definitely a bit exaggerated. I don't take offense at that. A curvy, busty look is what I was going for with this MOC, though I did try and distribute the volumes enough that it didn't feel too unbelievable (i.e. not just filling out the chest and thighs while leaving the neck, arms, and abdomen rail-thin).

Thank you for your feedback!