VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2017 Discussion and Rumors

So, I finally got around to check those new sets. My thoughts...

- The Praetorian Guard looks amazing even though it's just in a single color (more or less). Sure, the helmet is a bit weird, but the glorious shoulder armor makes up for it. Definitely picking this guy up for the shoulders alone, I'm confident they'll be useful for MOCing.

- Chewie isn't as bad as I feared he would look. While he's still a bit skeletical (I wish TLG would've used some fabric to fill the gaps in his torso), the overall design looks cool. I especially like the design of his arms. My only gripe with him would be his facial expression. That smile is a tad... weird.

- Rey looks nice, but some parts of her look awkward (worst offender are the shoulders). Is the torso shell new? It looks cool, but I think the shape would still work better with characters who wear more clothing/armor.

- TIE Pilot looks rather boring. Other than the tube connecting his helmet to his chest panel, his build is nothing too interesting, he also lacks parts I'd deem useful for MOCing. I'll probably pass on this guy.

2 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

- Rey looks nice, but some parts of her look awkward (worst offender are the shoulders). Is the torso shell new? It looks cool, but I think the shape would still work better with characters who wear more clothing/armor.

No, it appeared last year, it was used on Jyn Erso :

26481pb01.png

11 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

Chewie isn't as bad as I feared he would look.

Ehh, I'm personally on the border here. The printed parts look neat, but that's it imo. Build looks odd and the legs need quite a bit of work. Definitely not the worst one we've seen I think but it's down there.

13 hours ago, Psithur said:

Ehh, I'm personally on the border here. The printed parts look neat, but that's it imo. Build looks odd and the legs need quite a bit of work. Definitely not the worst one we've seen I think but it's down there.

Well, I meant in regards to what was said about him beforehand, I feared he'd look worse.

By the way, the pictures are also gone by now again.

On 7/31/2017 at 0:34 PM, ZORK64 said:

By the way, the pictures are also gone by now again.

Here is my gallery; I have all the pictures for 75176, 75177, 75179, 75187, 75188-75190, and 75526-75530 indexed and in HD quality.

I'm pretty sure that the Praetorian Guard has 6M shells in Mata Red, previously only available in Tahu Uniter. Take a look at the right arm in the first "alternate" image. :P

Edited by Azani

There's also this picture, which was shared on Brickset a few days ago, where we can see him from the side. The only interesting bit is that he uses a second Star Wars torso shell to cover his back.

1 hour ago, Leewan said:

There's also this picture, which was shared on Brickset a few days ago, where we can see him from the side. The only interesting bit is that he uses a second Star Wars torso shell to cover his back.

Indeed. I'll have a review up tonight; hopefully that will be of interest to y'all. The build is very unconventional - definitely not cookie-cutter.

Oh, so this is your pic ? Well, I hope you won't think I'm trying to prevent you from making reviews, but since this set hasn't been officially revealed, I don't know if you'll be allowed to publish it before September 1st. :look: You should ask the mods first. :wink:

1 hour ago, Leewan said:

Oh, so this is your pic ? Well, I hope you won't think I'm trying to prevent you from making reviews, but since this set hasn't been officially revealed, I don't know if you'll be allowed to publish it before September 1st. :look: You should ask the mods first. :wink:

Ah yeah; it is. I was referring to a YouTube review, but I can go ahead and ask the mods regardless about linking to it. I believe that the system thread has been linking to Just2Good's YouTube reviews of the TLJ sets, as the sets were legally obtained via Toys 'R' Us. (At least that's the logic of the folks over there.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Azani

On 8/22/2017 at 3:59 AM, Azani said:

Ah yeah; it is. I was referring to a YouTube review, but I can go ahead and ask the mods regardless about linking to it. I believe that the system thread has been linking to Just2Good's YouTube reviews of the TLJ sets, as the sets were legally obtained via Toys 'R' Us. (At least that's the logic of the folks over there.) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't think EB has ever had a problem with users posting early reviews of yet-to-be-officially-released sets, but you should check with the mods to be safe. It doesn't make sense for such reviews to be disallowed, anyway.

I will bring up the topic with the other senior staff

3 hours ago, Aethersprite said:

I don't think EB has ever had a problem with users posting early reviews of yet-to-be-officially-released sets, but you should check with the mods to be safe. It doesn't make sense for such reviews to be disallowed, anyway.

33 minutes ago, VBBN said:

I will bring up the topic with the other senior staff

No problem. The video is up on YT, by the way.

9 hours ago, Azani said:

No problem. The video is up on YT, by the way.

Yeah there're plenty of reviews of TLJ sets on YouTube. I guess user-produced reviews are in a bit of a grey area - "official" reviews by EB staff of yet-to-be-released sets could jeopardise EB's relationship with Lego, but the impact of reviews posted by regular users is a bit more unclear. 

Yeah- as long as the sets were legally obtained, then that's an issue Lego would need to take up with the retailer, but we would say go ahead and post the reviews here. I do not recall in the past that anyone has been barred from posting reviews early as in such a situation. 

On 26/08/2017 at 5:42 PM, VBBN said:

Yeah- as long as the sets were legally obtained, then that's an issue Lego would need to take up with the retailer, but we would say go ahead and post the reviews here. I do not recall in the past that anyone has been barred from posting reviews early as in such a situation. 

Jang has. I think Brickset has, too, though I don't know that Huw and co. have admitted it.

Apparently, TLG are not the originators of the issue. It seems that TLG are being strong-armed by another IP stakeholder. TLG - or more specifically, their lawyers - are at fault however. They should have anticipated this possibility which would have allowed them to protect the influencer community. Instead, TLG's lawyers have goofed and as a result, acted against the company's own marketing efforts. If those lawyers were hired in the US, they should be easy to fire. Hopefully, they weren't hired in Denmark; it's almost impossible to fire anyone under Danish law. 

7 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Jang has. I think Brickset has, too, though I don't know that Huw and co. have admitted it.

Apparently, TLG are not the originators of the issue. It seems that TLG are being strong-armed by another IP stakeholder. TLG - or more specifically, their lawyers - are at fault however. They should have anticipated this possibility which would have allowed them to protect the influencer community. Instead, TLG's lawyers have goofed and as a result, acted against the company's own marketing efforts. If those lawyers were hired in the US, they should be easy to fire. Hopefully, they weren't hired in Denmark; it's almost impossible to fire anyone under Danish law. 

I don't think that said issues with mega-popular content creators should be too much of a problem. You'll run into little doubt from me on the vailidity of releasing this one day before the street date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6K6kk-6ybc

The Elite Pratoreon Guard looks really sick! Waiting to get him right now. I really like the cape, for his bottom area, legs and all that. Also his weapon looks amazing! My least favorite out of these would have to be Rey. Her face mold is... okay. But her arms make her body look male. If I get her I'll probably redesign her arms and then probably post it here. These are just my personal opinions and I can't wait to read others.

Rankings (My opinions):

1. Elite Pratorean Guard: Overall, just a good, sleek design, makes him look like a boss!

2.  Baze: His figure is just the best! Like in the movie, he looks like a heavy gunner, which he is, and his upper torso design is great! Awesome build!

3. Elite Tie Fighter Trooper: Even though he's third, I still really like him. I feel like he gives this Constraction series the extra, umphh, it needed. Really a great addition to the collection.

4. Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike: Although where I live this costs $50, but I'd still get it just for the bike. The Scout Trooper is okay, but I'd really just get this for the Speeder Bike.

5. StormTrooper Commander: This figure is pretty alright. Although I really like his head mold, new mold I'm guessing, and his cape that goes over his shoulder. (Not really a cape). His build is pretty cool.

6. Scariff Trooper: This guy is sixth just because I'm not really feeling his color scheme. I don't really like his design, and he was kind of a letdown.

7. Chewbaca: Honestly, this figure kinda scares me! Don't get me wrong I really like the new fur molds, but his face just creeps me out. I don't want that out on my dresser at night, staring into my eyes... Jeez!

8. Chirut Imwee: Sorry buddy! You were sick in the movie, but here you just suck. His arms, like Rey's are ridiculously bulky (slim it down Lego!) and his bow build looks to big, not like the long, sleek one in the movie. Probably, not getting him.

9. Rey: Rey being the new heroine to the Star War movie, really made me like it. The actor makes a great Rey! But there are so many letdowns in this set. Her arms are to big, her face doesn't look right, and it just doesn't really fit in. Sorry.

Please keep in mind these are my opinions, feel free to reply to this. And have a wonderful day.

Deuces.

T

While I'd certainly appreciate a more slender arm option for characters like Rey in the future (probably a specialized beam like the Ben 10 thigh piece rather than a shell, since I'm not sure shells can get much narrower than they already are), I don't think it's fair to say that her current arms "look male". Women can be buff too.

Still hoping to get Rey and Chewbacca (my two favorites of the current wave), but I'm a bit reluctant to buy them on impulse, considering that clearances on these buildable figures seem to be fairly routine at this point. Honestly I'd be willing to wait for clearance on a lot more of the themes I collect if it weren't for weird cases like the Elves Dragon Sanctuary from 2016, which was retired and became hard to find within six months of release. Then again, I might even be more willing to buy a set like Rey at full price if I weren't in such a bad place emotionally and felt like I could justify treating myself.

Got the Praetorian Guard last midday. He is a decent set and most likely the most interesting set of the current wave. However, the arm-swinging gimmick looks a bit awkward, but still better than K-2SO’s function which is very similar to the one Skull banshee uses, but it definitely has some interesting new parts, including the knight-like pauldrons and small sword pieces, but it has also got some recolors which make up for a good set, but this colour scheme is really evocative of my days into HF, in which Furno was my favorite protagonist.

Overall, a solid set with an interesting torso build and average playability. Still hoping to get Cbewie and Rey, but : be willing to wait till clearance, along with other themes if I wasn’t in such bad places, but I’m also thinking about getting the Scout Trooper and the Speeder Bike considering its accuracy and a good display vakyez

On 20/10/2017 at 9:20 PM, Aanchir said:

Women can be buff too.

But Rey isn't. :tongue:

The 2018 catalog has began leaking, can't wait for better pictures of Vader and Boba. By the way, do we currently know all the names from next winter's wave?

As far as we most likely know, yeah, Vader, Boba and Maul are pretty much already confirmed to be released at the same time, considering its timeframe of every 4 months during each planned wave.

(Sorry it is kinda off-topic here, but most likely it is related to any 2018 stuff).

Edited by Chimaninja454

Nope, Maul comes later. It's all in the topic that your post belonged in, if that's okay for ya.

Funny, right?

Edited by Azani

I recently got Baze on sale, he happens to be my first Star Wars Constraction set with a humanoid head. Even though I still haven't seen any of the new Star Wars movies, I do like him in terms of design, although I will eventually take him apart for MOCing purposes.