VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2017 Discussion and Rumors

Just now, TwistLaw said:

Same here bro. And we should consider ourselves lucky that we got at least those copy-pasted, overpriced figures, chances are that next year we won't get a new CCBS theme with even SW abandoning the constraction niche.

Oh well. I just hope that before they shut the line down we get Boba (who is pretty much confirmed) and C3PO (because we haven't gotten a new CCBS shell in gold since 2013, if you don't count Tahu Uniter's torso). I would add "another custom build" to my wishlist, but if the new Vader is just a modded Kylo then my hope is pretty much lost. Gotta stay realistic if you don't wanna get heartbroken, mate.

At least we still have the Elves dragons, which happen to be a lot more creative than these figures. One of the dragons has 4M spring green shells (which I can't wait to get my hands on) so we might get some outlandish colours in the future. I still unironically keep my fingers crossed for pink, magenta or lilac CCBS shells. Those would be awesome.

Elite TIE Fighter Pilot- Another generic stormtrooper build. We have enough of them and another black one makes it a pass

Rey- I know she has a bit of forehead but that head sculpt is taking it too far.  Other than that. Nice recolors.

Elite Praetorian Guard- Um shouldn't there be some kind of facial details on that head. It doesn't even look like a helmet. At least we get some more red CCBS parts including a long awaited 4 shell that was teased in the instruction books. Cool shoulder and weapons pieces. Might pick up when it goes on sale.

Chewbacca- Not to bad honestly. I get why they went with fur printing as it has to be affordable. I'm kinda digging that head. Might pick this one up.

Wasn't it like Han Solo said; "Don't make the Wookie angry... He'll ripp your head off." 

So....    Chewie looks GREAT.... :wink:

I thought of something this morning. The fact that they skipped the set 75527 always bugged me, and surprisingly Luke is absent from the minifig lineup. They're certainly keeping him for after the movie is released, so I'm thinking 75527 is Luke and they'll release him in December, or in January. That could explain why only two sets are rumoured for the January wave : the third one would be TLJ-Luke. Of course, that's just a theory, perhaps there'll never be a 75527 set, perhaps the third January 2018 set will be another OT character, or perhaps there won't even be a third set.

9 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

Elite TIE Fighter Pilot- Another generic stormtrooper build. We have enough of them and another black one makes it a pass

Yeah, I would've preferred a FO Walker Driver instead. 

12 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

chances are that next year we won't get a new CCBS theme with even SW abandoning the constraction niche.

What ?

1 hour ago, Leewan said:

What ?

It's a fact SW CCBS figures are shelfwarming. Sets from early 2016 are still pretty common everywhere, and with their prices raised once again with the RO wave (basic figures now cost 25 dollars!) I don't see them going anywhere. Most stuff from 2018 has leaked by now and there's nothing hinting at a new CCBS IP, so it's safe to assume that by now LEGO has stopped bothering about the system. Not that it's a big news, sure, and the chances that even SW Ultrabuilds will rest in pieces (:grin:) are pretty high.

By the way, the 34$ dollars set seems to be Chewie. Now, that's a disappointment. Definitely looks less promising than Vader or Grievous.

Bit of a crazy thought, but hear me out. It seems they're kind of making it a point to give a gear function to characters with melee weapons, even if they don't have a lightsaber, see 2016 Rey and Jyn. Now, the Guard has a melee weapon, but it's held on both hands so a gearbox would make no sense. Chances are high it uses a single piece torso bone, but what if it hides a Uniter torso? It would work perfectly with a staff weapon, like on Pohatu and Gali. I'm likely setting myself up for a disappointment, but it's still fun to think about it.

6 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

Most stuff from 2018 has leaked by now and there's nothing hinting at a new CCBS IP, so it's safe to assume that by now LEGO has stopped bothering about the system.

There's nothing hinting at a new System IP. Does that mean System is doomed ? :wink: Maybe I'm just too optimistic, seeing the glass half full where you see it completely empty, but let's wait a few months, we're only in July.

4 hours ago, Shakar said:

Chances are high it uses a single piece torso bone, but what if it hides a Uniter torso? It would work perfectly with a staff weapon, like on Pohatu and Gali. I'm likely setting myself up for a disappointment, but it's still fun to think about it.

That could explain the parts count (according to promobricks it has 92 parts). We can compare it to the Shoretrooper : they have a similar parts count, and seem to be built in the same way (or at least it's very close). However, something doesn't add up, the Shoretrooper's blaster is made of 30 parts (32 if you count the extra stud and the 2M axle used to hold it), but I count 17 to 19 parts for the Praetorian's weapon (do weapons like that have a special name in our world ?). That means there are about 15 secret parts.

There's a problem, though. The Star Wars torso shell doesn't fit on a Uniter Torso because of the geared part of the hips. They could still use a beam with a balljoint, like Umarak, but the top of the armour seems to be too close to the neck and the shoulder for that. Plus, it looks like the "skirt" would be in the way of the knob, although it means nothing, there could be a hole in it. Perhaps it will have a new torso that works like the Uniter torso but can fit SW shells ?

4 hours ago, Leewan said:

There's nothing hinting at a new System IP. Does that mean System is doomed ? :wink:

Well, I don't know if that's an appropriate comparison :sceptic: System has at least half a dozen of successful themes currently running, not counting licensed ones. CCBS, as of now, has... zero themes, and SW is still mostly a brick-based (licensed) theme. I like your optimism, though, and I'll give you that we're only halfway into July, so anything may still be happening. But as for now constraction's future looks to me as dark as it did a year ago, when the announcement of G2's discontinuation was made.
I truly hope the next few months will prove me wrong.

On topic, am I wrong or there's still one Ultrabuild to be leaked?

8 hours ago, Shakar said:

Bit of a crazy thought, but hear me out. It seems they're kind of making it a point to give a gear function to characters with melee weapons, even if they don't have a lightsaber, see 2016 Rey and Jyn. Now, the Guard has a melee weapon, but it's held on both hands so a gearbox would make no sense. Chances are high it uses a single piece torso bone, but what if it hides a Uniter torso? It would work perfectly with a staff weapon, like on Pohatu and Gali. I'm likely setting myself up for a disappointment, but it's still fun to think about it.

That's the first thing I thought, but Leewan's comment above seems to suggest otherwise. I hope you're right, though. It'd bring something new/relatively fresh to the SW CCBS theme.

1 hour ago, TwistLaw said:

Well, I don't know if that's an appropriate comparison :sceptic: System has at least half a dozen of successful themes currently running, not counting licensed ones. CCBS, as of now, has... zero themes, and SW is still mostly a brick-based (licensed) theme. I like your optimism, though, and I'll give you that we're only halfway into July, so anything may still be happening. But as for now constraction's future looks to me as dark as it did a year ago, when the announcement of G2's discontinuation was made.
I truly hope the next few months will prove me wrong.

Not that we know of, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, TwistLaw said:

If you're thinking of SWC sets as well, we should have two more in the form of Boba Fett and a second Darth Vader at some point in 2018. As far as others go; I'm with you on the realist perspective; we may be out of luck.

I suspect that TLG will keep SWC around through Episode IX, as it doesn't appear to sell too poorly, and its parent theme has always been and continues to be a runaway success.

1 hour ago, Azani said:

If you're thinking of SWC sets as well, we should have two more in the form of Boba Fett and a second Darth Vader at some point in 2018. As far as others go; I'm with you on the realist perspective; we may be out of luck.

Maybe Han Solo movie sets? They'd have to be released around march and we don't have any info on the movie sets so they're a possibility.

On 13.7.2017 at 1:26 AM, FordianL said:

I can't seem to find the pictures. Can someone PM a link to me if possible?

Same here, I also missed the pics. Are they still around somewhere?

:laugh: Didn't realize these are still 2017 sets- proceed with discussion here 

Anyway im liking them so far. Chewie is what I expected- although now my want for a Han Solo is real, and I'm worried that if we finally get one it won't resemble Harrison Ford but rather whatever the new Solo will look like in his solo movie. The pilot is a cookie cutter but I'm enjoying troop building so I'm down for his design, I've always loved the tie pilot design. Rey is different enough from her previous incarnation although I don't like the shoulder idea but I'm glad we are getting a female without headgear for once. The red guard is pretty sick, loving the movie design and it translates to a fine figure. 

The Praetorian Guard looks amazing and gives me hope that Lego could release some great looking Knights of Ren figures once they make an appearance in the movies.

On 7/15/2017 at 5:42 AM, VBBN said:

Anyway im liking them so far. Chewie is what I expected- although now my want for a Han Solo is real, and I'm worried that if we finally get one it won't resemble Harrison Ford but rather whatever the new Solo will look like in his solo movie. The pilot is a cookie cutter but I'm enjoying troop building so I'm down for his design, I've always loved the tie pilot design. 

Not going to lie, you're probably right on target there with Han Solo; hopefully we get a set that's essentially Ep. IV Han with Alden Ehrenreich's face. The TIE pilot is still relatively exciting to me due to what appears to be a print-free black SW torso shell and a solid helmet mold; not only that, it should be 19.99 over in the US, if Brickset is to be believed.

Edited by Azani

I've seen the finalized, non-watermarked images for the four sets that we'll be expecting in September. 75529 has a Skull Basher-type function.

Yep, the Elite Praetorian Guard has a new function! Looks like it works differently from Skull Basher / K-2SO, though, given the different parts used. This is now an insta-buy!

Aw man, are we allowed to post those? I saw them almost twelve hours ago.

Removed for the moment as at the moment it's unclear where the image came from.

I just hope he doesn't have floppy arm syndrome, I think the function was neat on Basher and a bit unnecessary on K2S0, so I hope it's executed a bit better here. 

Oh actually a thought- since he uses this bashing function instead of a traditional gear layout and has a two handed weapon, I bet Maul will have a similar design.

Oooh, Chewie has reddish brown lower leg shells to cover the back of his legs. Hope they won't be printed (although printing can always be erased).

The Praetorian Guard looks awesome, it's really nice to see variety in the builds : every set seems to have its own torso structure, even if for the TIE Pilot it's just some bits attached to a classic 9*11 torso. 

There are unwatermarked pictures found by TTV

Rather than link to the site. I'll link the video as they have the link in the description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMkC6sHfdRM

I still don't like the head on the praetorian guard but the function looks a lot like my Skull Basher mod.

Rey still has to much forehead.

Wish we got a back pic for Chewie and the Elite Tie fighter pilot.

Think I will be getting Chewie and the Guard day one.

Not to brag, but I kinda sent them news of all those pictures about 48 hours ago.

The design of the Guard is definitely different from Skull Basher and K-2SO. Looking forward to it.

Edited by Azani

Oops, thought the images were okay to post since they're not watermarked.

The trigger mechanism for the Elite Praetorian Guard is different from Skull Basher / K-2SO - it's definitely something new. I was hoping that we'd see the return of the Uniter torso, but oh well. Something fresh is always nice.