VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2017 Discussion and Rumors

Finally I can finish that mod of Chirrut. I've been waiting for those Dark Brown axle connectors to be available.

Hello,

Recently I've bought the 75523 Scarif Stormtrooper set and I have a few nitpicks about it. Is it just me, or are the legs on these action figures awfully stiff and hard to pose? The little dark bluish gray friction pieces seem to be the problem here. The feet on my own trooper barely even move because the pieces give so much unnecessary friction, also making the legs longer than they should be. I had some difficulties putting on the foil "skirt" piece, despite following the manual really closely. I was about to give up and not put it on him, but I eventually succeeded. I still think there is too much strain on the foil piece and fear it would tear someday. Last but not least, a problem related only to my copy of the set - the main printed torso piece had a small, but noticeable dent on the chest, probably too small to ask LEGO for a replacement part. I know the trooper is supposed to look dirty and battered by the sandy terrain and so it shouldn't bother me that much, but I still wanted to bricklink a new torso... until I noticed the set is not yet inventoried on BL. Any ideas where could I get the piece?

1 hour ago, Corydoras said:

had some difficulties putting on the foil "skirt" piece, despite following the manual really closely. I was about to give up and not put it on him, but I eventually succeeded. I still think there is too much strain on the foil piece and fear it would tear someday.

Yeah, I had a similar issue, and when I tried to make a pose of him kneeling, I've slightly damaged it, because it was "bent". You really have to be careful with that part. I think it would have been better if the skirt was printed on a cloth piece, or another material less sensitive to damage, but perhaps that would have been too expensive, or not possible at all. To attach it more easily, you can remove the thigh shells, so there would be less strain. Then, when the skirt is attached, you can "slide" the shells under it and reattach them to the legs.

1 hour ago, Corydoras said:

until I noticed the set is not yet inventoried on BL. Any ideas where could I get the piece?

Oh, this is weird. Well, if you can't get it on BL, why don't you try to contact Lego Service ? Send them an email with a pic of the part, and they'll certainly send you a new one. That seems to be your only option. :look:

Now that I decided to buy some of these, I can't find the ones I want in stores and they appear to be cleared out for good. I keep seeing K2-SO, Finn, Erso, Rey, Donnie Yen & his machine gun partner. Brickseeker says Walmart has Death Trooper cheap, but it kinda doesn't look good.

Do they usually release the more sought after ones later in the year? Stormtrooper Commander looks nice. Phasma looks nice too, but not sure if I appreciate the character enough to try to buy it online.

Boba Fett and Darth Maul would be reflex action purchases. Already ordered Darth Vader. I'll buy Obi Wan if I find it at a good price.

On 5/28/2017 at 8:24 PM, BubbaFit45531 said:

Now that I decided to buy some of these, I can't find the ones I want in stores and they appear to be cleared out for good. I keep seeing K2-SO, Finn, Erso, Rey, Donnie Yen & his machine gun partner. Brickseeker says Walmart has Death Trooper cheap, but it kinda doesn't look good.

Do they usually release the more sought after ones later in the year? Stormtrooper Commander looks nice. Phasma looks nice too, but not sure if I appreciate the character enough to try to buy it online.

Yeah, the Death Trooper isn't anything too special; I definitely wouldn't pick up both it and the Stormtrooper Commander that just came out. My personal favorites of the SW constraction line so far have been Baze Malbus (the machine gun partner of Donnie Yen :P) and the Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike that just got released. The latter is pretty expensive, but it looks like it might be 20% off at a US Target.

As far as the timing of the release goes, that typically hasn't had a lot to do with the viability of the product; that said, the new Disney films have been opening in the Winter, so there may be a correlation there...

On 30/05/2017 at 8:45 AM, Azani said:

Yeah, the Death Trooper isn't anything too special

He isn't that special, but he has an imposing and menacing feel that I like. Of course, the helmet helps that a lot. On the contrary, if I understand the appeal of the Stormtrooper Commander, I tend to prefer the Shoretrooper, mostly because his armour has some interesting color accents. I also really like Baze Malbus, it's an interesting build, he has a nice color scheme, and the figure itself looks good from about every angle. The only issue I could have is with hs gun, because it's not as elaborate as some other characters' weapons, and also because the silver hose limits the arm movement. You should get him, @BubbaFit45531.

PS : I've recently received Jyn Erso. I like the way her rifle is built, but I find the trigger (which is cleverly integrated, BTW) too wobbly, so I replaced the bush by a beam :

34877166131_cb952d58a1.jpg

I ordered Darth Vader, then saw the instructions online where it seems it doesn't use the constraction torso frame that the newer figures use. Is it less sturdy? Is it easy to redo it to fit onto a torso frame?

I saw someone mention C3-PO was among the list of upcoming TLJ constraction figures, but I couldn't find any such list. Who else is coming soon? I've got constraction fever! If they're going to release these in good guy/bad guy pairs, it's going to limit what they release since one guy might not be as popular as the other guy.

9 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

it doesn't use the constraction torso frame that the newer figures use. Is it less sturdy?

No, the only part that could be considered as fragile are his shoulders, because you can easily remove them by pulling the arms, but it's not much different than the sets with a gearbox, like most of the 2015 BIONICLE sets, or some sets like Kylo Ren, Rey or Finn. Beside that, it's quite sturdy.

9 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Is it easy to redo it to fit onto a torso frame?

Darth Vader's torso is bigger than the standard frames, so it will be difficult to adapt it. If you do it, you'll certainly have to remove some elements, like the shells on the sides, or the control panel. But why would you want to do that ?

19 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

I ordered Darth Vader, then saw the instructions online where it seems it doesn't use the constraction torso frame that the newer figures use. Is it less sturdy? Is it easy to redo it to fit onto a torso frame?

I saw someone mention C3-PO was among the list of upcoming TLJ constraction figures, but I couldn't find any such list. Who else is coming soon? I've got constraction fever! If they're going to release these in good guy/bad guy pairs, it's going to limit what they release since one guy might not be as popular as the other guy.

So, that constraction frame, by which I assume you mean this piece, is actually much older than the Darth Vader set; it was first released in 2011, and it's typically seen as being lower in quality than the newer, custom designs that have been developed since 2014 or so. Many of the recent buildable figures still use the old, cookie-cutter fram, but only because it keeps the price of the set down. If I were you, I wouldn't mod the set that way as you'd be unable to attach the side detailing or control panel, as Leewan said.

There's been a lot of news and conflicting reports on the identities of the upcoming buildable figures; Sir Von Lego here on EB claims that neither Snoke nor Luke will be included in the TLJ lineup, saying that "none of your list is accurate" in response to a guy on here claiming a lisr of figures that included those two. Several reputable folks, including CM4Sci and Stash2Sixx, have reported that we'll be seeing a BB-8 UCS set this year utilizing constraction elements, and delta_customs over on Instagram claimed that we'll see a Boba Fett figure at some point in the near future. I haven't personally heard of a C-3PO fig, but I wouldn't rule it out, and I'd certainly appreciate it. What we know for sure is that there will be 4 constraction figures released later this year in conjunction with The Last Jedi.

I hope that Boba Fett is properly fleshed out. I don't dislike Jango but I'm already kind of tired of that ''generic body'' + extremly specialized head and couple add-ons. It works for generic characters like stormies and such but I'd like to see more ''Vader'' style of builds.

I'm impressed by the speeder bike + scout trooper though, now let's wait for the inevitable amazon price drops :devil:

Is the Scout Trooper the first Constraction with the knee pad part instead of the one piece curved shinguard? Is this the beginning of more Constraction options? I noticed some of the newer ones have the longer smooth, round thigh shell, which makes the legs look skinnier.

On 4.6.2017 at 9:37 AM, BubbaFit45531 said:

Is the Scout Trooper the first Constraction with the knee pad part instead of the one piece curved shinguard? Is this the beginning of more Constraction options? I noticed some of the newer ones have the longer smooth, round thigh shell, which makes the legs look skinnier.

Baze Malbus had it before, but only on the left right knee. (thanks Error404 for pointing that out :laugh:).

Edited by Dosenbrot

Pardon my correction, but it's on the right knee, and also one without printing on the right elbow.

I just realized some of these have longer shins with 4 holes rather than 2 holes and some have 2 friction caps rather than 1. Are these characters supposed to have such varying heights? The newer smooth round thigh shell seems intended for longer thighs.

Do these Constraction ball cup joints break? I just read someone post about Bionicle joints cracking and unable to be replaced and someone said at some point from 2011 forward, they used new stronger joints. I noticed some of the Star Wars joints are loose and some are really tight and almost pop off by themselves.

I saw a Brickleaks Facebook post point to a YouTube vid that suggested a Boba Fett buildable figure is coming sooner than later. Can't wait!

Edited by BubbaFit45531

On 6/5/2017 at 0:21 PM, BubbaFit45531 said:

I just realized some of these have longer shins with 4 holes rather than 2 holes and some have 2 friction caps rather than 1. Are these characters supposed to have such varying heights? The newer smooth round thigh shell seems intended for longer thighs.

Do these Constraction ball cup joints break? I just read someone post about Bionicle joints cracking and unable to be replaced and someone said at some point from 2011 forward, they used new stronger joints. I noticed some of the Star Wars joints are loose and some are really tight and almost pop off by themselves.

I saw a Brickleaks Facebook post point to a YouTube vid that suggested a Boba Fett buildable figure is coming sooner than later. Can't wait!

Apparently Delta Customs on Instagram has said that we'll be getting a Boba Fett constraction figure in 2018!

Got the scout trooper and speeder bike for $7 at walmart. Probably a pricing error from someone higher up cause people all over the US were reporting it.  Its awesome! Almost feel bad for not paying more. Love the detail and scale. It would be cool to get more technic star wars vehicles. 

Edited by chezzymann

Something some of you might find interesting. I have a coworker I was talking to the other day. He knows I like Lego, and he mentioned to me how his grandfather collects Lego Star Wars constraction sets. Yes, his grandfather. I sure never recall hearing about Bionicle or Hero Factory being picked up by geriatrics, but hearing about a CCBS Star Wars collector in his golden years is probably a testament to the wide appeal the line has beyond Lego's traditional CCBS fanbase. Something interesting to think about indeed.

On 05/06/2017 at 6:21 AM, BubbaFit45531 said:

Loose joints, that's strange. CCBS parts can break (like every Lego part, of course), but it's very rare, especially compared to the 2007-2010/2011 ball cups. I believe it has been discussed on another topic before, but I can't find it right now. If you have more questions about CCBS in general in the future, you should rather ask them on this topic rather than here. :wink:

19 hours ago, chezzymann said:

Got the scout trooper and speeder bike for $7 at walmart. Probably a pricing error from someone higher up cause people all over the US were reporting it.  Its awesome! Almost feel bad for not paying more.

At this price, you should rather feel bad for not getting more. :grin: Having bought mine from the s@h, I can tell you I would have easily bought two or three of them at this price. But a single copy is enough for me to write a review this weekend (I still have some pics to take). 

38 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

Something some of you might find interesting. I have a coworker I was talking to the other day. He knows I like Lego, and he mentioned to me how his grandfather collects Lego Star Wars constraction sets. Yes, his grandfather. I sure never recall hearing about Bionicle or Hero Factory being picked up by geriatrics, but hearing about a CCBS Star Wars collector in his golden years is probably a testament to the wide appeal the line has beyond Lego's traditional CCBS fanbase. Something interesting to think about indeed.

Haha, that's really surprising. I just hope the SW Constraction sets aren't more popular with grandpas that with kids.

I just recently bought a Stormie, and I'm very happy with him, even though the build is not all too amazing and the rear part of the rifle clashes against the shell on his lower arm. IIRC he's my first constraction purchase in quite some time, as most of the SW sets flew over my head and I was also not all too keen on the final wave of Bionicle.

I'm pondering about picking another one up, though the shelf where he (and Vader) go is already kinda crowded. I actually even thought about buying three, so I could have the 3rd one for his parts, but I'm not certain about doing this any longer due to the larger scale of the SW characters.

From the main Star Wars thread - 2018 stuff, I presume:

6 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

75533 Boba Fett

75534 Darth Vader

And just so there isn't any doubt:

6 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

Darth Vader is another constraction figure.