VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2017 Discussion and Rumors

According to Toy Fair Standees, the Stormtrooper Commander is $25 and the Scout Trooper and Speederbike are $55.

The Scout Trooper has some System builds for its waist pouches, and uses the CCBS shoulder armour piece on its back to emulate its backpack. Helps to set it apart from the regular CCBS builds.

The Stormie is boring, however. But the helmet mould is gorgeous as expected.

4 hours ago, Penkid11 said:

According to Toy Fair Standees, the Stormtrooper Commander is $25 and the Scout Trooper and Speederbike are $55.

55 actually seems like a fair price. Compared to Grevious who was pretty much 1/3 the amount of pieces and was about 10 dollars cheaper when he came out.

I'm not impressed by the Stormie commander at all, very generic figure, although nevertheless it looks good.

The Scout Trooper however is a treat. I love all the details on his armor, and the speeder bike itself is very well built.

Does anyone know, if we get more figures (like the rumored boba fett, etc.) this year? Because if I recall correctly, we were expecting more CCBS figures, and these two just appeared out of nowhere.

5 hours ago, Csacsa234 said:

I'm not impressed by the Stormie commander at all, very generic figure, although nevertheless it looks good.

The Scout Trooper however is a treat. I love all the details on his armor, and the speeder bike itself is very well built.

Does anyone know, if we get more figures (like the rumored boba fett, etc.) this year? Because if I recall correctly, we were expecting more CCBS figures, and these two just appeared out of nowhere.

I think chances are that the other CCBS figures for the year will most likely be based on The Last Jedi, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a lot of legacy characters.

2 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I think chances are that the other CCBS figures for the year will most likely be based on The Last Jedi, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a lot of legacy characters.

If 2016 is anything to go by, that would explain the fact that we're only getting 2 (albeit one large) sets for summer.

The good thing with the Stormtrooper is that it (finally) brings part 90615 in black. The helmet looks great, but I'm really annoyed by the "edge" at the bottom.

The speederbike looks good, although it seems a tad too small for the Scout Trooper. I hope it can be removed from its foot.

On 22/02/2017 at 2:08 PM, Lyichir said:

Unless... Boba Fett comes back in TLJ. :tongue: But yeah, the remaining sets should be from the next movie, and BZP and Brickset seem to confirm this, although nothing is 100% sure until we see some actual pictures.

On 23/2/2017 at 7:43 PM, Leewan said:

The good thing with the Stormtrooper is that it (finally) brings part 90615 in black.

Ah, didn't notice that! That is rather curious, I didn't think they would break their rule of producing bone sizes alternating between black and dark bley (excluding special colours). 90615's little brother, 90616, was produced in dark bley in 2012 and then immediately dropped, becoming available in black only in subsequent sets, because of that rule.

I wonder if this is going to be a one time thing, or are they about to flip the current alternation? For the time being, I'm just happy to see a new bone recolour.

2 hours ago, Shakar said:

I wonder if this is going to be a one time thing, or are they about to flip the current alternation?

The Scout Trooper does have dark bley bones, so they're not completely abandoning it. Anyway, I hope the future sets will give us bones in more (opaque) colours : I was glad to see that Chirrut Îmwe had flesh-coloured parts to make his bare arm, and I think it would be nice to have some bones (not necessarily all of them) that match the colour of the clothes or the skin of some characters. I'm actually planning on ordering four flesh bones for Rey's arms, to replace the black ones.

On 28/2/2017 at 6:52 PM, Leewan said:

The Scout Trooper does have dark bley bones, so they're not completely abandoning it. Anyway, I hope the future sets will give us bones in more (opaque) colours : I was glad to see that Chirrut Îmwe had flesh-coloured parts to make his bare arm, and I think it would be nice to have some bones (not necessarily all of them) that match the colour of the clothes or the skin of some characters. I'm actually planning on ordering four flesh bones for Rey's arms, to replace the black ones.

That's true. I can't tell if it's the same bone size, though. I have the feeling it's a module shorter, which would mean that 9016 is back in dark bley (which is something I would be very fine with, as the very few ones I have are getting looser). If it's the same size, well that's pretty interesting.

I'm becoming strangely fascinated with flesh CCBS parts. The hands are a bit too human for the stuff I want to build, so I wasn't interested at first. But, though this might sound crazy.. I wonder if it could work as an accent color for robotic characters (Bionicle, HF, etc) without looking like flesh. So I'm actually hoping for more shell and bone sizes, especially 4M shells.

Picked up Chirrut today. Going to apply a few mods to him but he is a pretty good figure. And he comes with a lot of dark brown Technic pieces.

Box size and weight for the TLJ sets are listed on Brickset. Sets 75526 to 75529 seem pretty standard (size and weight very similar to most recent sets), but set 75530's box is the same size and almost same weight as Darth Vader's box. That means it should have between 150 and 200 parts. That also means it's a character (or a creature ?) larger than usual. If what's on Brickset is correct...

On 13/02/2017 at 2:03 PM, xboxtravis7992 said:

Ikaatril I have no clue what your sources are, but Rogue One has been ridiculously successful. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?view=main&id=starwars.htm&p=.htm

Also bashing Rey as a Mary Sue just because she is a powerful female character is ridiculous. Also considering the Rotten Tomatoes score for TFA I wouldn't consider it a story fail in any way. 

I think there's a fine line between a strong character and a Mary Sue. Explainning how the Milenium Falcon works to Han Solo and beating a warrior who wiped out every apprentices trained by Luke Skywalker with no justifications as for her background ( a scavenger on a outback planet ) is not being strong, that's poor writing. Imagine the duel in Empire Strikes Back, only Luke learns vague notions of the force once he arrives on Bespin, never held a lightsaber in his hands and yet manages to beat the shit out of Vader. 

I have empathy for the character but she's the second coming of christ power wise. 

I get what you mean. She did get a hold of how to use the Force rather quickly, even for mind tricks, but regarding the duel with Kylo at the end, I think it's important to remember that he was shot with Chewie's bowcaster shortly before, which was demonstrated throughout the movie to be powerful.
I also reckon the duel with Finn on beforehand took a bit of his remaining strength as well.

This doesn't explain how and why she seemingly got so strong al of a sudden, but it's a part of the reason for Kylo's defeat on his own end.

I don't mind Rey the way she was done in TFA, but I do think it would have been a bit more logical if they made her capable of only resisting Kylo and keeping him out of her head and dropped the whole "backfire" thing.
Potentially also dropped her defeating him and instead having the fight interrupted by the ground splitting apart, leaving them separated and her unable to get to him and him maybe collapsing due to blood loss from the bowcaster shot.

On topic:

Was there any talk of a possible MagnaGuard figure, or was that just on peoples' wishlists?
I think a MagnaGuard could be cool, complete with a good quality cape (which Grievous lacked).

Edited by Error404

If there are only four sets, I rather think it's going to be Rey, Luke, Kylo Ren and Snoke.

On another subject, I always found weird that set 75119 was called Sergeant Jyn Erso. This Entertainment Weekly article tells us why Lego used that name :

Jyn was an enlisted Rebel soldier instead of a street criminal recruited on a spy mission.

“In fact, some of the toys that are sold still say Sgt. Jyn Erso,” Whitta says. “That’s who she was, she was a sergeant in the Rebel Alliance. By the time we changed that, some of the toys were already in production. I have a Sgt. Jyn Erso on my desk, even though she’s not a sergeant in the film.”

On 3/17/2017 at 2:11 AM, Leewan said:

Box size and weight for the TLJ sets are listed on Brickset. Sets 75526 to 75529 seem pretty standard (size and weight very similar to most recent sets), but set 75530's box is the same size and almost same weight as Darth Vader's box. That means it should have between 150 and 200 parts. That also means it's a character (or a creature ?) larger than usual. If what's on Brickset is correct...

Interesting; thanks for the update. Unfortunately we know absolutely nothing on TLJ at the moment... It'd be nice to speculate what those characters are after the first trailer drops!

I think characters like Rey and Luke are pretty much guaranteed, but I'm not sure about Kylo Ren... It seems unlikely that he'd get a change of costume so quickly, but you never know.

If we get another Kylo- and provided there are no major costume changes- I would anticipate Lego would give him a maskless head. 

I'm certainly hoping we don't get another Kylo as I'm perfectly happy with the one we got and would like the spotlight to be shifted to other characters. That's one instance where I'd gladly take another stormtrooper variant over another Kylo. 

Rey, on the other hand, I'd certainly take a new version, preferably one without a piece of headgear.

Yeah, if he wears the same outfit as in TFA a new Kylo set would be pointless, but I think these four would make a good lineup. You know, two good guys, two bad guys, two old masters, two apprentices... Also, about Rey, a new version could use the female torso shell introduced by Jyn.

Well the 2016 Kylo was a standard figure with the clothing added. Maybe that set is a titan-sized Kylo, a la Darth Vader? 

Whatever that larger set is, I would like it to be a light saber wielding humanoid just for the sake of finally seeing a larger figure with a gearbox. The only proper "Titan" we got in Bionicle G2 (Umarak the Destroyer) ironically was the only set to use a non working gearbox, which is something I'll never stop thinking of as a missed opportunity.

EDIT: Forgot to say, another reason I'd like the large set to be humanoid is because I'm curious to see if they use that awful torso shell nearly every SW now uses or if they came up with something more creative.

Edited by Shakar

9 hours ago, Shakar said:

The only proper "Titan" we got in Bionicle G2 (Umarak the Destroyer) ironically was the only set to use a non working gearbox, which is something I'll never stop thinking of as a missed opportunity.

Why a missed opportunity ? I actually like the fact that it was used as a purely structural element, it did show that this part wasn't only good for gearboxes. Now, I wouldn't be against a bigger set with a gearbox (which I hope will be Snoke, rather than Kylo Ren :wink:).

PS : Or 75530 could be a 2-in-1 set. Like C-3PO and R2-D2, for example.

8 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I'm actually excited for the Stormtrooper Commander, as I missed the previous folks.

Aren't they still available somewhere ? At least the 2016 sets ?

13 hours ago, ZORK64 said:

I'm actually excited for the Stormtrooper Commander, as I missed the previous folks.

Yeah wave 1 is still widely available, at a discount too depending on your location. 

On a side note, like VBBN stated, the lego designers working on a potential model are probably frantically searching for any piece of concept art with Rey sporting a full mask helmet. The previous Rey model gives me the creeps. 

Edited by RetroInferno

I think the female torso shell would work really well for a Rebels Ahsoka, as the mold itself looks to be representing fabric around the waist and armor around the chest. I doubt we'll be seeing any constraction figures from animated series any time soon, they haven't even covered the original 6 films (pun not intended) well enough.

I'm getting a little tired of the upper leg panel. It doesn't even look right from the front (around the hip and the leg's too thin) and the grey bones are always exposed from the inner sides. The old method of using a 6M shell was far better. Even the exposed back didn't look that terrible with an added weapon holster.

The continued use of the swivel joints in the upper arms also bothers me. It restricts motion compared to using a regular ball joint there and I've seen other people commenting on that as well. They started out with it on sets that had heavier weapons, but now they're constantly doing it (Scout Trooper is a good example). 

Combine that with all of the leg problems (justifying the outrageous prices by only making the legs ridicously long and disproportionate, the high ankles) I'd say star wars constraction is only going downhill since the first wave. In that wave the designers only seemed to care about accuracy over functions, and frankly I'd rather not have a gear sticking out of a human figure.