VBBN

Star Wars Constraction 2017 Discussion and Rumors

On 1/18/2017 at 2:09 AM, Loki said:

Oh, the Scout Trooper & Speederbike sounds pretty cool for a set. For some reason I didn't think they'd go for something like that, but I'm pretty happy and I might try to pick that up? It seems pricey, though that's probably to be expected as vehicle sets weren't historically too cheap in cost. 

Yeah, I'm really pumped to see that! It's been far too long since our last Buildable figure vehicle set (no, I'm not counting Invasion from Below), so I'm really excited to see what Lego has in store for us...

Images of the 2 sets have been leaked.

The Stormtrooper looks pretty standard, but has a great helmet and blaster is build as a rifle (long stock). The pauldron looks the same as the one of the Death-trooper.

The Scout-trooper has a great helmet too, the body is also pretty standard and he seems to have new leg armor. The speeder looks pretty neat.

Both new constraction figures are really neat, especially the commander since you can customize him to make it a standard trooper too. 

2 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

Anyone know where I could find said pictures?

Delta Custom's Instagram

Speaking of the pictures, I actually really like the Speeder Bike. The only odd thing to me is the handle bar underneath it, but it may just be the photo angle.

As expected, nothing of interest to me. The Speeder Bike looks very good and I'm sure that fans are going to be happy about it, but everything else is the same cookie cutter figures we've been getting for a year and half. The Scout Trooper's upper leg armour looks interesting, and the Commander does indeed have the panel shell in white, so that's good.

Still waiting for Boba and his sand green, but I'll just accept that was inaccurate info at this point.

1 hour ago, Shakar said:

As expected, nothing of interest to me. The Speeder Bike looks very good and I'm sure that fans are going to be happy about it, but everything else is the same cookie cutter figures we've been getting for a year and half. The Scout Trooper's upper leg armour looks interesting, and the Commander does indeed have the panel shell in white, so that's good.

Still waiting for Boba and his sand green, but I'll just accept that was inaccurate info at this point.

I'll agree that the figure builds are disappointing, but that Speeder Bike is something we haven't gotten before! Looking forward to pick that up.

I guess monotony in the builds is something that can't be avoided with these sets - bar the rare Grievous or K-2SO, most characters don't call for much build creativity. I'm glad Lego is doing something different with the Speeder Bike here.

Oh my gosh I saw a preview of the new Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike set. So beautiful! The brickbuilt speeder could very well be a UCS display piece, but the CCBS figure on top of it is icing on the cake. Don't be surprised if I put a Bionicle figure on that bike for fun... :) 

Figures are disappointing, i'd hoped for more new armour pieces.
The bike is 'ok' though looks like its primarily made for 'swooshing' and this could weaken it as a display piece as some have shown interest in it being.

I think at this stage they've practically perfected the basic design in terms of a humanoid CCBS figure in terms of coverage with armour, primarily thanks to the gearbox armour piece, shoulder curved pieces and leg armour.

At this stage they would probably be best introducing newer characters and occasionally adding a new piece here and there - unsure if vehicles are the way to go.

The speeder bike looks lovely, if I can I'll try to pick one of those up at some point. Still kicking myself a bit for never getting Phasma, since I don't even see that set around anymore x.x

I can't say I'm surprised that they went with that storm trooper instead of the white/blue one, certainly makes it easier to make a "standard" trooper. Still, he does look very similar to the death trooper in build which is expected- I just really hope we get more figures this year besides just two more troopers. 

The scout is cool, can't wait to get my hands on that set. If anything, both of these feature awesome helmets from the looks of it- when it comes to helmeted characters, lego really has been killing it lately. 

17 hours ago, VBBN said:

I can't say I'm surprised that they went with that storm trooper instead of the white/blue one, certainly makes it easier to make a "standard" trooper. Still, he does look very similar to the death trooper in build which is expected- I just really hope we get more figures this year besides just two more troopers. 

The scout is cool, can't wait to get my hands on that set. If anything, both of these feature awesome helmets from the looks of it- when it comes to helmeted characters, lego really has been killing it lately. 

There's TLJ coming, and if past years are any indication, we'll be getting more figures later this year!

Speaking of TLJ, who is left to be made as a set? The main characters and villains got covered, someone talked about Han Solo a while ago but he seems kind of unlikely now (for obvious reasons). Could the main characters get a re-release based on alternate outfits they're going to wear on TLJ?

58 minutes ago, Shakar said:

Speaking of TLJ, who is left to be made as a set? The main characters and villains got covered, someone talked about Han Solo a while ago but he seems kind of unlikely now (for obvious reasons). Could the main characters get a re-release based on alternate outfits they're going to wear on TLJ?

The main characters are my bet - they're likely to get new costumes. Hopefully we get Rey without her headgear this time around.

I'm also pretty sure we'll see some new versions of troopers. Otherwise, Flame Troopers perhaps? Although their build would be awfully boring...

4 hours ago, Shakar said:

It's worth pointing out that we don't yet know what sorts of new characters might be introduced in this movie. Even if the lead roles remain occupied by the same characters from TFA, judging by Star Wars' history I wouldn't rule out some new breakout characters—just look at Lando Calrissian, Yoda, and Boba Fett in The Empire Strikes Back, or Jango Fett and Count Dooku in Attack of the Clones.

Anyway, I do think it would be probable that at least some of the main characters would get rereleased, especially if they get new costumes. I also wouldn't rule out a figure of older Luke, assuming that he has a major role this time around.

Given that 'The Last Jedi' more than likely refers to Luke, it definitely seems very likely we'll get another version of Luke - it has been two years, after all, and that's just barely enough.

We might even get more than six, considering the popularity of the first wave (not so sure about the other waves, according to some people they're shelf warmers on the same level as BIONICLE and the only ones in demand are Vader and Grievous, especially considering how Rogue One, while not a flop for a normal movie, flopped for a Star Wars movie and had a weak plot (though, admittedly, the only reason TFA didn't have a weak plot was because its protagonists were Mary Sues, its antagonists were Darksteel the Hedgehog and Emperor Palpatine Version 2 and Tarkin Version 2, and rehashed A New Hope's plot, with the Diabolus Ex Machina that is the First Order, smaller than the Empire... yet Starkiller is bigger and more powerful than either Death Star? What? Sorry about the tangent, TFA was just so disappointing when it could have and should have done something new, which it failed to do. It's a good movie on its own, but in the context of the other Star Wars movies, it doesn't hold up, especailly when A New Hope and a third of Return of the Jedi do all the same things and better).

Might even get another vehicle

The new figs look good. The Scout speeder and trooper are already on the wishlist. Both the figure and the speeder looks superb. The stormtrooper however doesn't justify the aforementioned higher price point. It's build looks just like deathtrooepr with recolors, maybe it will come with a backpack to pump up the price ratio (and of course the price).

I can't wait to get more cleaner images of them, but in time they'll come around.

Haven't been collecting SW Constraction, and while appreciate them doing something different with the inclusion of the Speeder Bike, it's not enough to sway me to purchase the sets.

Wake me up when an original Constraction IP comes around.

Ikaatril I have no clue what your sources are, but Rogue One has been ridiculously successful. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?view=main&id=starwars.htm&p=.htm

Also bashing Rey as a Mary Sue just because she is a powerful female character is ridiculous. Also considering the Rotten Tomatoes score for TFA I wouldn't consider it a story fail in any way. 

We might see the new sets this weekend at the NYTF. The press release says that "Popular characters also appear in buildable figure form with nine new sets." Three of these are Rogue One sets, and we know at least two OT sets. That means there are still four unknown sets. I doubt they will show any TLJ-related sets this soon (assuming there will be TLJ Constraction sets this year), but I hope the Stormtrooper Commander and the Scout Trooper will be shown.

BZPower has two images of the Stormtrooper and the Scout Trooper with Speederbike sets on their Twitter. I hope the other four are also from the previous six movies (or from Rebels, but I doubt that) before they shift focus to new stuff again when they release TLJ figures.

Edited by JekPorkchops

Wow. I'm dumbfounded by how boring these look. I think I haven't gotten this feeling on constraction sets since good old Aquagon in 2013. Sad that these are lacking the willingness to experiment the 2015 line showed, along sets like K2S0. At this point, all I can hope in is some droids and some recolours and maybe some new parts. If the Stormtrooperfest continues, constraction is pretty much dead for me until an original theme comes (if one ever comes at all).

Edited by Shakar

Stormtrooper's pretty much a rehash of the FO Stormie and Death Trooper. But I like the look of the speeder bike. While yes it is a bit small compared to the scout trooper. That also means it shouldn't be too expensive.