technic_addict

Porsche 919 Hybrid by Manuel Nascimento

I saw this on TLCB (The Lego Car Blog) yesterday, and it really impressed me. I plan on trying to build when I get the appropriate wheels.

Cheers,

Let's Build!

This one looks great. A bit sticker-heavy, but still looks great. While wheels are obviously something custom, I wonder how were they produced.

I had seen this posted on Facebook by several Lego bloggers. While my first impression was WOW, THAT IS GORGEOUS! Having said that, it uses A LOT of stickers and what appear to be non Lego(or modified) wheels that are actually setting it off from the many other awesome cars of this race car class where the builders only used Lego parts for their appearance. Of course this model will wow non Lego or casual Lego fans more because of the added flare. I do give the builder an A+ for the sticker work. Wondering if they are from an actual model kit or if they are custom.

Edited by Meatman

I too saw it on lego car blog. My first impression was 'this is one of the best Lego cars I've seen'. It has a lot of stickers but this car is absolutely amazing!. But I'm wondering where are those wheels from. This makes lego's 42039 look useless.

I wonder why it was blogged just recently, because this model was part of the official Porsche design competition held by TLC / Porsche a few months ago:

https://www.lego.com/en-us/rebrick/view-entry?c_id={D776AFA5-00A1-4F55-A7B3-6A07F5795B68}&a_id=7cee5848-1788-4939-b540-90f8270f2e4d&sortEntry=false

There Manuel stated the following:

“It's motorized with PF. You can drive it (traction), steer it, open the doors, opens the engine hood and has lights. I must say that this model doesn't have a single part cut or painted. Wheels are a regular LEGO wheel ( 6061050- black ) with stickers. Many people may think that it's a MOD of set 42039, but it isn't! When I decided to include Power Functions, I realized the nothing or almost nothing could be salvaged. I had no choice, I had to do it my way. - I have no instructions.”

Unfortunately I can´t find any better description or video of it. Especially the wheels are very interesting. If these are regular wheels, then he must have put in some third party chrome rim covers. It would be great if the builder were member here and then could go deeper into some datails…

I think the wheel is simply made of a regular rim ("facing" inwards) with a regular tire. The rim cover is actually a sticker.

I'm on the fence with this model. I don't like models that rely too heavily on stickers, and I can't imagine how this model would look without them. Maybe it would be just as awesome (so it doesn't rely on stickers), but I can't tell (for example Brunojj, your BMW looks awesome without stickers too, that's easy to imagine).

It is not about stickers with this one. They are irrelevant. Shaping is brilliant. Compare with pictures of the real one.

This is beautiful, he got the shape of the real car so perfectly and much better than me.

Unfortunately, he didn't show the car rolling. He should definitely tell us a bit more about it here on EB.

2 hours ago, Charbel said:

This is beautiful, he got the shape of the real car so perfectly and much better than me.

Unfortunately, he didn't show the car rolling. He should definitely tell us a bit more about it here on EB.

I think there is more detail in his car but I think the large stickers everywhere may hide some of the imperfections / holes.  Not really sure why he left the gaps in the wheel wells?

Edited by technic_addict

4 hours ago, J_C said:

It is not about stickers with this one. They are irrelevant. Shaping is brilliant. Compare with pictures of the real one.

The stickers are far from irrelevant. The whole thing including the wheels looks like it's wrapped in vinyl which is why it is giving the illusion of not even being a Lego model. For example, there is a sticker behind each of the the side windows giving the appearance that they extend and curve back more than they actually do. This is just one area the stickers are very relevant.:wink:

Edited by Meatman

27 minutes ago, Meatman said:

The stickers are far from irrelevant. The whole thing including the wheels looks like it's wrapped in vinyl which is why it is giving the illusion of not even being a Lego model. For example, there is a sticker behind each of the the side windows giving the appearance that they extend and curve back more than they actually do. This is just one area the stickers are very relevant.:wink:

to quote Big Lebowski: "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" 

My opinion is that this is a masterpiece without any visible flaw and stickers make it more realistic, but it would be just as impressive without them and Lego shaping and designing is brilliant.

it is just like on the real car, there is also "painted" area, not a window. 

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwy0IREsFqWcqeUxFi4oqPv8eY8AgEJJUqeB6lqaihqxrwr8LDVA

22 minutes ago, J_C said:

to quote Big Lebowski: "Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man" 

My opinion is that this is a masterpiece without any visible flaw and stickers make it more realistic, but it would be just as impressive without them and Lego shaping and designing is brilliant.

it is just like on the real car, there is also "painted" area, not a window. 

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwy0IREsFqWcqeUxFi4oqPv8eY8AgEJJUqeB6lqaihqxrwr8LDVA

Don't get me wrong, it's very good, but there have been many 24 hour race car models done similar to this that are just as nice without all of the glitz and glam of stickers. The first thing that sticks out to me in this model are the wheels and tires and how amazing they look. Now why is it that the wheels and tires look so amazing? The stickers on the front mudguard are the only thing keeping the 5L liftarms in place on the flex axles. Using a sticker as a brace to hold things in place is kind of cheesy in my opinion. :classic:

Edited by Meatman

Great model. The same model (No 19) exist in a Real Racing 3 :)

7 hours ago, technic_addict said:

...  Not really sure why he left the gaps in the wheel wells?

Like in a real car... :)

Screenshot.jpg

I've seen a fake dummy of the car and stood Infront and took a picture. I was wondering where I really saw the car cause I remembered as if I'd seen this car in real life.

On 11/19/2016 at 1:26 AM, technic_addict said:

I see holes in the front, but not the back.

stop looking for mistakes in this LEGO model, there are any! :wink: you are comparing to picture from computer game. Look at real car. there are holes in all fenders - back, front, left, right, you name it :wink:

m15-1987-fine-1.jpg

18 hours ago, J_C said:

stop looking for mistakes in this LEGO model, there are any! :wink: you are comparing to picture from computer game. Look at real car. there are holes in all fenders - back, front, left, right, you name it :wink:

I think the fenders exists in different options - depend of current situation on track... in the web you can find pictures with both version, for the same car number :)

1 hour ago, darsedz said:

I think the fenders exists in different options - depend of current situation on track... in the web you can find pictures with both version, for the same car number :)

that is perfectly possible.