frikandeloorlog

What franchise should Lego do next?

Which movie, tv  or video game should be converted to Lego.

I personally would love to see official Star Trek TNG/DS9/VOY or battlestar galactica 2003 Lego sets. What about you?

me and my brother have a ALF addiction ( every tuesday we watch an episode on dvd ) we love love love the show ( ALF Rules )

I would love to see, this tv-serie in lego ( maybe a lego idea-set )

Greetings

Surprisingly popular yet has not been seen, I'd like to see Transformers using the LEGO Movie style of two buildables in one set

17 minutes ago, Quicksilver838 said:

Surprisingly popular yet has not been seen, I'd like to see Transformers using the LEGO Movie style of two buildables in one set

Transformers would be awesome!

With A Series of Unfortunate Events coming to Netflix starting next year, I would love to see a set or sets based on that. It's one of my favorite childhood book series.

Having enjoyed Voltron: Legendary Defender on Netflix as well, I'd like to see a set based on that. There's an Ideas set currently in review, but that's based on the classic series, not the new one (and if it passes, the Ideas terms and conditions might prevent one based on the new series from passing in the future).

I'm a fan of Steven Universe, but I can't necessarily see that supporting a full theme. At best, I'd love to see a standalone set and/or series of Dimensions figures.

Miraculous! Tales of Ladybug and Cat Noir seems like it'd be a great fit for a mini-doll theme, but I worry that with the new DC Super Hero Girls theme, Lego won't be interested in another girls' superhero theme (especially one that isn't attached to the existing DC and Marvel licenses).

There are plenty of Nintendo themes I'd love to see Lego do. Super Mario is unfortunately still licensed by K'nex, but if that licensing agreement ever ends I expect that Lego could do a much better job with it. Pokémon is huge, but like Mario is licensed by other building toy manufacturers, and I'm not sure whether it'd be the best fit for a traditional theme given the necessity of a huge number of molded figures/figure parts (then again, perhaps that could work in conjunction with a blind bag series of some sort). The most likely candidate, in my opinion, is The Legend of Zelda, which is not only a hugely popular franchise, but has perennially achieved support on Lego Ideas. I personally think the reason it continues to fail review is the necessity of new molds to do the series' characters justice, so I'm holding out hope that Lego and Nintendo might make something work on their own at some point. And with the lack of a traditional medieval fantasy theme and next year's Breath of the Wild set to be a huge release for both the current Wii U console and the upcoming Nintendo Switch, there may never be a better time for them to do so.

I wonder why anyone would try to license with any other brick company other than Lego.  In any store i've been there is Lego taking up 95% of the space and in a corner you can find some of the other stuff. 

5 minutes ago, frikandeloorlog said:

I wonder why anyone would try to license with any other brick company other than Lego.  In any store i've been there is Lego taking up 95% of the space and in a corner you can find some of the other stuff. 

A common reason seems to be "Lego rejected it". Themes like Halo, Assassins' Creed, Call of Duty, and Destiny have been picked up by Mega Bloks largely because Lego has no interest in adapting M-rated video games. Franchises like SpongeBob and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were quickly picked up by competing companies after Lego ended their licensing agreement for them. And I'm sure there are plenty of cases where a franchise is just not quite big enough globally to be worth Lego's while, but is plenty big enough for a smaller or more localized competitor.

Another reason is when a company already has a wide-ranging license for a franchise and wants to extend it to a building toy sub-brand. Obviously this applies largely to franchises wholly owned by Hasbro or Mattel like Transformers, My Little Pony, Barbie, Monster High, etc., but it could also lead a company that is already licensing one of their brands out to one of those companies to prioritize building toys from the same manufacturer.

I really think LEGO should do Destiny and Uncharted. 

Destiny is only rated T and while it is a FPS. I think it's fictional battles and the ever growing lore would help make great sets based on some actually really well designed set pieces. This is just a stretch however. I think LEGO could make it work.

Uncharted is a largely story led game series that could really be a great theme for LEGO. The games do involve some shooting here and there but it's not a FPS game. There are actually much more fantastic scenes to use for the sets and it could very much so fit the LEGO theme formula. 

And the fact that we need a newer Indiana Jones-like series. 

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

A common reason seems to be "Lego rejected it". Themes like Halo, Assassins' Creed, Call of Duty, and Destiny have been picked up by Mega Bloks largely because Lego has no interest in adapting M-rated video games. Franchises like SpongeBob and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were quickly picked up by competing companies after Lego ended their licensing agreement for them. And I'm sure there are plenty of cases where a franchise is just not quite big enough globally to be worth Lego's while, but is plenty big enough for a smaller or more localized competitor.

Another reason is when a company already has a wide-ranging license for a franchise and wants to extend it to a building toy sub-brand. Obviously this applies largely to franchises wholly owned by Hasbro or Mattel like Transformers, My Little Pony, Barbie, Monster High, etc., but it could also lead a company that is already licensing one of their brands out to one of those companies to prioritize building toys from the same manufacturer.

great explanation, thanks!

2 hours ago, (Nexus) said:

I really think LEGO should do Destiny and Uncharted. 

Destiny is only rated T and while it is a FPS. I think it's fictional battles and the ever growing lore would help make great sets based on some actually really well designed set pieces. This is just a stretch however. I think LEGO could make it work.

Uncharted is a largely story led game series that could really be a great theme for LEGO. The games do involve some shooting here and there but it's not a FPS game. There are actually much more fantastic scenes to use for the sets and it could very much so fit the LEGO theme formula. 

And the fact that we need a newer Indiana Jones-like series. 

New Indiana jones lego???? nnngggggggggg.. YES!

Revive a few of the retired licensed themes perhaps? Indiana Jones and Harry Potter come to mind.

As for new stuff, I'd love to see what Lego would do with Star Trek or Halo but sadly Megablocks has those licenses (the newest Halo game is just T-Rated buts it's history of M-Rated games probably means Lego doesn't find it to be a brand fit...) 

As for licenses that don't have any existing construction themes, I think many Disney films could also be adapted into sets (Tron, Lion King, Hercules, Mulan, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Zootopia, etc.) I think the resounding success of the Collectible Mininifigure sets and the castle could hopefully inspire Disney to do more with Lego. They should also consider making sets based on their theme parks, I think a Haunted Mansion set would sale like hot cakes!

Also speaking of cartoons, since Lego also has a strong relationship with Warner Brothers they should make more sets based on the cartoons Time-Warner owns the rights to. They already did Scooby Doo sets from the Hannah Barbara division of WB, but imagine if Lego did a Collectible Mininifigure series based on Looney Tunes, Hannah Barbara, and even the WB 1990's TV shows such as Animaniacs? I think that would appeal very well to the collectors market, and we'd be able to display it alongside the pre-existing Disney and Simpsons lines. 

Lego is never going to do anything modern military or M-rated, and I will respect that. If I want to arm my minifigures or make some army guys, there's third parties like Brickarms and Brickwarriors for that.

With that said, I would definitely welcome another Indiana Jones theme. I don't know if I would actually buy any Disney related sets, expanding on that would be a good move on their part. However, being a car guy, I want to see Lego get more licenses for the Speed Champions line. Let's see a Nissan GT-R. Let's see a Lexus RC F. Let's see Koenigsegg, Pagani, Aston Martin, Jaguar, and, if the angles and wedges aren't too tricky, Lamborghini. As well as utilizing the existing licenses as well.

D&D

Game of Thrones

More LotR

Star Trek - all incarnations but especially the original series

Edited by AmperZand
Added Star Trek

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 8:43 PM, frikandeloorlog said:

Which movie, tv  or video game should be converted to Lego.

I personally would love to see official Star Trek TNG/DS9/VOY or battlestar galactica 2003 Lego sets. What about you?

MegaBloks has licensed all the Star Trek properties, I believe.  Personally, I really like their Original Series sets.

6 hours ago, AmperZand said:

D&D

Game of Thrones

More LotR

While all of those are unlikely for their own reasons, D&D definitely won't happen because it's wholly owned by Hasbro.

While it's not an entirely new license, I would love the DC line to include sets based on the CW shows. (Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow) There's a big fanbase and lots of possible sets. Unfortunately the theme probably has too much to cover already without expanding to those shows.

15 hours ago, BubbaFit45531 said:

Top Gun
Thundercats

Thundercats nearly came to be. We know from the ravings of the reboot showrunner that they were deep in discussions, and LEGO had produced quite a bit of preliminary design work. He was enraged because he felt, that when the deal fell through, LEGO rolled everything into creating Legends of Chima, and displaced his show on Cartoon Network. Word was Warner Brothers was not particularly pleased with his little tirade. (I.e. LEGO was worth far more to them than the cartoon running fool.) 

Top Gun will never happen. It involves modern Warcraft. Without an overlaying fantasy element such as comic books. I would not however be surprised to see Maga's COD team take a stab at a Top Gun F-14 at some point. 

7 hours ago, AmperZand said:

D&D

Game of Thrones

More LotR

D&D faces a number of hurdles. Problem one is that TSR got bought by a Wizards of the Coast that got bought by Hasbro. So the IP is owned by a competitor. Problem two is Hasbro released a D&D Kreo line not too long ago, and it bombed horribly. Total sales washout. Granted it was awful, but between it failing and Mega's World of Warcraft line tanking at the same time, nobody is going to touch it. 

Game of Thrones, way way too Adult for Lego. 

Star Trek, honestly, they have had plenty of chances for this one and always said no. Non competes in the Star Wars license might be part of it. But really at the end of the day Star Trek has long been a lousy toy license for some reason. It's a great property for model kits, but the toy aisles have rarely found wild success with it. At least not since Mego's days. (Playmates did ok largely via specialty shops, like Diamond does today.) 

As a completly new theme? Transformers ( I want a Sound Wave, and imagine getting all 5 combaticons to form Bruticus! ) as nice as Star Trek sounds unless you have to base it on the new movies I doubt it would happen. Some nintendo characters would also be nice.

As a reboot.... I think everything was mentionned above. 

4 hours ago, Faefrost said:

Thundercats nearly came to be. We know from the ravings of the reboot showrunner that they were deep in discussions, and LEGO had produced quite a bit of preliminary design work. He was enraged because he felt, that when the deal fell through, LEGO rolled everything into creating Legends of Chima, and displaced his show on Cartoon Network. Word was Warner Brothers was not particularly pleased with his little tirade. (I.e. LEGO was worth far more to them than the cartoon running fool.)

I'm not convinced that little rant was totally true… designer Mark Stafford explained here & here that Chima was in development before anybody at LEGO even knew that Thundercats was being rebooted, and that nothing from Chima originated in a failed LEGO Thundercats theme. Also, this gallery of early Chima concepts seems to bear little direct resemblance to Thundercats. If any discussions happened, they never involved anyone on the Chima design team.

Edited by Aanchir

1 hour ago, Aanchir said:

I'm not convinced that little rant was totally true… designer Mark Stafford explained here & here that Chima was in development before anybody at LEGO even knew that Thundercats was being rebooted, and that nothing from Chima originated in a failed LEGO Thundercats theme. Also, this gallery of early Chima concepts seems to bear little direct resemblance to Thundercats. If any discussions happened, they never involved anyone on the Chima design team.

I confess I tend to split the middle on that story in terms of what I believe. I've been in industries involving licensed IP's. If both parties don't come to agreement they each take their work product and go home. Lego likely did do some preliminary work. Some of the design ideas involving organic animal shaped vehicles was likely recycled, without using the Tcats IP or design schemes, into some of Chima's stuff. It's just how it works. Designers do not completely abandon ideas. If they can't use them in one place, they will recycle them, alter them and use them elsewhere. I'm sure some of the stuff such as the brick built animal heads for vehicles and castles might have been likely played around with early on for a Thundercats presentation. There is no question in my mind on that, nor did lego do anything wrong or unethical. It was their work. When the parties agreed to not go forward with Thundercats, that was their property to take away and use. Design exclusivity does not accrue until the contracts are signed, excepting clear pre-existing IP and iconography. demo and preliminary stuff is the property of the designers. It's just how it works. It's just nobody ever talks about this in public, because you do not discuss the business end of licenses in public, ever!