Splat

GoPro HERO Session Camera Dolly and Panning Rig

Hi everyone

It has been a little while since I have posted anything, but I wanted to share my latest model with you.

GoPro HERO Session Camera Dolly and Panning Rig

This model is a dual purpose dolly and panning rig for a GoPro HERO Session camera.

It uses a single chain to control both the linear movement of the camera (dolly) and/or the rotational movement of the camera (panning).

00000065.jpg

My YouTube video explains how this works in detail:

Please let me know what you think.

PS. For other models that I haven't posted on Eurobricks, please check out my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/slfroden).  Thanks  :sweet:

Wow! This is double fantastic! I have a couple of GoPro mounts in progress, but I really like this one. I just may have to build this.

Thanks for posting!

Do you have any additional photos to make it easier to see how it is built?

Thanks and keep it up!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

6 hours ago, Andy D said:

Wow! This is double fantastic! I have a couple of GoPro mounts in progress, but I really like this one. I just may have to build this.

Thanks for posting!

Do you have any additional photos to make it easier to see how it is built?

Thanks and keep it up!

Andy D

Hi Andy, thanks for your kind words.  :sweet:

I don't really have any other photos of this model at the moment, but the key parts are the six gears and the chain going around them with the sliding shuttle in the middle.  Everything else is just me trying to build a working proof-of-concept by adding a frame, and cranks.  Really, these can be added in any way that you like.  The tires are just used to stabilize the model and provide grip so that it doesn't slide around the table.  The size of my model was determined by the number of chain links that I had available.  If you make it bigger, you may want to add something to put a little bit of tension on the chain.  If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll provide more details where I can.

I did not realize that the chain could be the most expensive part at $.13 per link in quantity. I think I may have about 150 links.

How many links did you use?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

4 hours ago, Andy D said:

I did not realize that the chain could be the most expensive part at $.13 per link in quantity. I think I may have about 150 links.

How many links did you use?

Andy D

I used a total of 127 chain links.  I would have tried to make this model bigger, but I was limited by the number of spare chain links that I had.

Instead of chain links, you could use string instead, and replace the gears with pulleys.  As long as there is enough tension in the string (but not too much), string would probably end up being a bit smoother than chain links.  I might try that out in the future sometime.