ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Incom Z-95 Headhunter

Nothing too special here, just a headhunter variant. I tend to prefer the old four-engine version over the newer types with just two. Also, this particular vessel has been retrofitted to carry cargo (in place of the concussion missile bay) and fit an astromech droid. The good news it's a pretty part-thrifty model, at only 395 pieces.

Protoype:

zx2M4Hc.jpg

Model:

44ZHLkW.png

bL01Lnf.png

1sxFdAj.png

JXg252n.png

And one more screenshot minus Bluerender's white-on-white glare:

EM6pC9H.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

1 hour ago, frikandeloorlog said:

Did you build this in some software only?

Looks very much like the original, well done

Just LDD, processed through Bluerender. 

1 hour ago, gcanik said:

Nicely done

Thanks!

I like how it has the classic Legends look of the Z-95, yet has the paint scheme of the Canon Z-95 from The Clone Wars; its a great blend of the two and really suggests that this was indeed the ship that was the precursor to the X-Wing. If you ever decide to upload the LFX File, I would love to download it and archive the design to someday build one myself.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

2 hours ago, Astropunk said:

Great take on the Z-95, will you build it from actual bricks?

Yes, I am going to be Bricklinking the parts for this one shortly. Given how small it is, and the fact that the only rare piece is the dome in the back, I hope to keep prices rather low - potentially even limiting it to 1-2 sellers. 

I also just noticed that the astromech droid in the bay is the short legs version like Chopper from Rebels. I assume he would be the droid used in the final build?

29 minutes ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

I also just noticed that the astromech droid in the bay is the short legs version like Chopper from Rebels. I assume he would be the droid used in the final build?

Probably. But I could also fit a full-size astromech by removing 2 small plates and fitting a 1x2 plate in their place, thus dropping the floor slightly. It just didn't look as good sitting in there... that's why I went with Chopper (one of the things I like about Chopper is that he's closer in height to actual astromechs, whereas the current R2-D2/etc. are enormous). I've also test-fit a removal of the cargo space/droid by supplementing it with a small bedroom for long spaceflights.

20 minutes ago, ProvenceTristram said:

Probably. But I could also fit a full-size astromech by removing 2 small plates and fitting a 1x2 plate in their place, thus dropping the floor slightly. It just didn't look as good sitting in there... that's why I went with Chopper (one of the things I like about Chopper is that he's closer in height to actual astromechs, whereas the current R2-D2/etc. are enormous). I've also test-fit a removal of the cargo space/droid by supplementing it with a small bedroom for long spaceflights.

That reminds me of the fanon Lego Astromech design I've had since I was a kid, it just was a pair of eyes on top of a 2x2 slope brick I imagined was made by the Soro-Suub corporation for the purpose of competing with the R-Series by offering a smaller sized unit that could go where the R-Series couldn't... For some reason now what you've said about why you chose Chopper over a standard R-Series reminds me of that. Astromechs are rather large considering they are just a glorified navigation computer with a built in Swiss Army knife tool set.

I guess BB-8 could also more easily fit that space, but then you get the whole timeline issue involved with that.

Edited by xboxtravis7992

This is wonderful. Usually to get these kind of shapes and details MOC builders (and sometimes Lego) end up putting way too many pieces in it and start going past the right minifig scale, but this is perfect. I especially love how the astromech droid is hidden, they're just utility at the end of the day.

6 hours ago, Mark1006 said:

This is wonderful. Usually to get these kind of shapes and details MOC builders (and sometimes Lego) end up putting way too many pieces in it and start going past the right minifig scale, but this is perfect. I especially love how the astromech droid is hidden, they're just utility at the end of the day.

Thanks! Put in the order for the parts last night. It's going to be a Christmas present from my parents, though, so I won't have the built pics until about a month on.