jim7564

USS Saratoga

started this last year,not long after the Missouri was featured in the media

20150902_090303_zpslzudwsgn.jpg

20150902_090246_zps6kncknwa.jpg

20150902_090311_zpsn69puzbr.jpg

planned to be around 26 1/2 ft long same scale as the Missouri but run out of room building it,as usual it will be the last modernized version when it had all the AA guns more armour etc

DSC02870_zps2abpi3fy.jpg

endless amount of flat pieces here,i even had to buy a few 1000 lego plates to mix in,you dont really notice them,

DSC02942_zpswiiogshz.jpg

DSC02945_zpskduvv8up.jpg

DSC02946_zpsd5jgavdp.jpg

DSC02951_zpskwnpvrva.jpg

DSC02952_zps3wsi3uyd.jpg

DSC02953_zps7tlksymz.jpg

DSC02953_zpshzyyefx5.jpg

DSC02954_zpsuxtvgxmc.jpg

Grumman Avenger on the flightdeck,working folding wings

DSC02957_zpslkojnua5.jpg

DSC02963_zps3ilhzr1t.jpg

there will be winches inside for the anchorswith room at a premuim it was left outside and a gale of wind caught hold of it one night

DSC03538_zpsyhxzeplm.jpg

had to rebuild it all over again,

DSC03897_zpskje2lg3s.jpg

roughly 10 ft of it is completed now.and 2 aircraft so far,a fair way to go but now its winter can get more done on it again

Most impressive, but I have to ask, how much of it is actually LEGO?  I see a lot of Mega Bloks in there.

5 hours ago, kibosh said:

Most impressive, but I have to ask, how much of it is actually LEGO?  I see a lot of Mega Bloks in there.

you know i get this so much,it gets really annoying after a while,if it was ready made pieces i can understand but when its standard pieces 2x4 2x2 2x1 etc flat plates etc,i fail to see the big deal folk make out of clone brick/megabloks etc.

but to answer as accuratley as possible 90 % is prob megabloks the rest would be lego technic pieces,tiles,pins connectors,the airplane is mostly lego,

now let ma ask  WOULD THIS LOOK ANY DIFFERENT IF IT WAS PURE LEGO ???

just to add on the last pic theres 20,000 trans blue round 1x1s so that evens it up a bit:classic:

2 hours ago, jim7564 said:

now let ma ask  WOULD THIS LOOK ANY DIFFERENT IF IT WAS PURE LEGO ???

Surely it wouldn't look any different when made with Lego parts, but to know that it isn't is somehow ... disappointing.

Especially since the USS Missouri has been presented in press as "Lego ship" or the "world's biggest Lego model".

Don't take it wrong, you've made a great job with that, but it´s like to watch the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, and than you realise that it's only a photocopy.

It doesn't look any different, but it is not the original.

I don't have any problem with it. I do understand that building something this size in pure Lego would not be possible within a given budget. Not everyone has the possibility or opportunity to get his hands on that amount of Lego bricks in a cheap way. But I do also understand that it may be disappointing to some.

12 hours ago, Mellow said:

Surely it wouldn't look any different when made with Lego parts, but to know that it isn't is somehow ... disappointing.

Especially since the USS Missouri has been presented in press as "Lego ship" or the "world's biggest Lego model".

Don't take it wrong, you've made a great job with that, but it´s like to watch the Mona Lisa at the Louvre, and than you realise that it's only a photocopy.

It doesn't look any different, but it is not the original.

No, it would be like finding out that the Mona Lisa was not painted using the most expensive paints of the time, and nobody would give a damn because da Vinci was a genious and the work is a masterpiece.  This kind of elitism is really dumb.

6 hours ago, appiah4 said:

No, it would be like finding out that the Mona Lisa was not painted using the most expensive paints of the time, and nobody would give a damn because da Vinci was a genious and the work is a masterpiece.  This kind of elitism is really dumb.

No, it's like finding out the masterpiece is not painted with quality oil paints but only with watercolor paints.

And even though it is acclaimed as the greatest oil painting in the world.

I don't have any problems with using other brands or mixing different brands to create a great model, but i have a problem with it when a brand name like Lego is used for other brands.

Especially when it's used like in the article about the USS Missouri, where it was described as "built from Lego" or as "world's biggest Lego ship", which it isn't, because it is not Lego.

If you think it's dumb, I don't care.

But that's why brand names exist, to distinguish different brands.

Edited by Mellow

Wow, that is an impressive ship! I can't even begin to wrap my brain around completing something that size, let alone keeping accuracy and detail and scale in mind.

Sad to see the weather destroyed it, but that's the beauty of the hobby; you can always put things back together with enough patience.

9 hours ago, appiah4 said:

I agree with the sentiment here (if not the language). The ship displayed is masterful; just it wasn't built out of Lego brand building bricks doesn't make it any less so.

3 hours ago, Mellow said:

I don't have any problems with using other brands or mixing different brands to create a great model, but i have a problem with it when a brand name like Lego is used for other brands.

Thanks for making that clear. From your earlier posts it sounded like you were dismissing the MOC and the builder outright simply because the ABS composition was a little different and the branding changed.

However, I am pretty sure that if the article had said "largest MegaBloks ship" no one would read it. Even if you don't like it--no matter if the LEGO group tells people not to say it that way--"legos" is common vernacular.

well just to answer your questions here,

when i was asked to display the Missouri I did point out it was not built entirely out of lego,but other makes of of blocks were used,as far as the press were concerned it did not matter as with everyones concept of this is its all classed as lego,(just a term that seems used for every ABS building bricks)

unlike MR Mellows (whats your problem) here and maybe a few others i dont have shares in lego named brands i just like building with them,

but enough is enough with this childish attitude so this will be my last post on here,i will not post anymore builds or the progress with this one which will be finished with whatever building blocks i find most suitable,

to quote Vinny Jones *its been emotional*

:angry:             :angry:              :angry:

8 hours ago, jim7564 said:

but enough is enough with this childish attitude so this will be my last post on here,i will not post anymore builds or the progress with this one which will be finished with whatever building blocks i find most suitable,

to quote Vinny Jones *its been emotional*

:angry:             :angry:              :angry:

I'm sorry that you have been turned away by just one person having such issues. I hope you do reconsider and let others have a look at your finished creation. It's the creativity that counts, to me at least... :hmpf_bad:

Don't let the haters bother you, use whatever parts you want. After receiving Big Ben for my birthday I'd love to do a more complete Parliament building, but there is no way I could afford all the Big Ben sets I'd need. However, I can get 4 Lepin clones for the price of one Big Ben so I may go that route. I've purchased more than enough real bricks over the years to where I don't feel bad if I do that for one big model.