Hi there,

some of you might like my recent project: By the 42043, Arocs seemed to be a MUST in Lego Technic. Since i criticize a lot of things in the buyable 42043 (too high; stabilizers at the wrong place and not fully motorized...), I decided to build a Thing I consider to be... maybe not better, but different.

There are no pneumatics involved; everything is done by machanics and linear actuators. The Arocs-front is differently styled than the 42043.

Motorized functions in "driving mode":

- Steering (M motor #1); the steering whel in the cabin moves when the truck is steered

- Driving (XL motor); the two beacons on the cabin and the beacon on the rear bumper are turning when driving; there is a front PTO for further attachments)

- Lifting of rear axle (M Motor #2)  (it steers while being dropped; it's locked while being lifted)

Motorized functions in "crane mode":

- turning of crane (M motor #1)

- Elevation of crane boom (XL motor)

- Bending of crane boom (M Motor #2)

Motorized functions in both modes:

- front lights

- Stabilizers (at first, they are pushed out; after that, they are lowered (controlled by rubber bands) (M motor #3);

the stabilizers' drive is connected to control three driving rings (red) in the center of the truck that change between "driving mode" and "crane mode" (I adopted Pipasseyoyo's principle from his "Recovery truck with crane")

- extending crane is possible in both modes, but makes sense in "crane mode", exclusively (M motor #4)

Manually controlled functions:

- tilting of cabin (easy accessible battery box)

- tilting of cargo bay (left or right)

- cargo bay's sides can be opened (both left and right)

- cabin doors can be opened

- seat at the crane boom can be detached

It took me 490 hours within 14 month to build it. The stabilizers were the first thing to be built; the other stuff was quite a long process with a lot of re-starts and improvements, espacially the crane, which has quite a bunch of precursors.

To avoid malfunctions caused by mal-operations, every function is secured by white 24t gear which will slip in case of too high torque (or another construction with the same effect in case of boom extension), except for driving function.

Now I'm very glad with it. After taking the photos, I re-designed the seat and the fake control elements at the crane boom, but I didn't take new photos for this marginal note.

Brickshelf link:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=566910

I appreciate your comments!

IMGP9252-min.jpg

Edited by Timewhatistime

Sorry, I'm not on YouTube.

I wonder why a video seems to be so important. The truck can drive, steer, move the crane in the described way - just like the Pictures show...

(And it makes the usual noise everybody who builds with powerfunctions knows.)

The brickshelf link should be available in a few hours. Everybody who uses brickshelf knows that it will take some time and cannot be influenced by the user.

The essence of Technic builds: functionaility, so a video demonstration for Technic is so to say, mandatory. It helps to judge the MOC regarding parameters, which can not be observed only by pictures. Picures provide only a flash period of time, don't show, HOW and IF the movement is achieved. Simply formulated: not only declare it, prove it!

Couple examples, what can a video demonstrate:

• Build quality, is it filmsy, is it robust enough?
  • How well the functions work - playability, speed of functions?
  • Are the moving parts, axles, gears braced properly?

It is also a win-win situation, the audience can learn from You, meanwhile with all of the feedbacks You can improve.

In case You plan to make building instructions, than it is a must to have a video: otherwise some might be disappointed, especially if she/he bought parts only for Your MOC.

As they say: one picture (here: video) tells more than thousand words. And least but not last: don't forget how much marketing value a video creates for You and for Your MOC. It really looks promising, and something You can be proud of. :wink: :thumbup:

edit: before MOCing, I wasn't on Youtube either... and I am still alive! :classic: 

Edited by agrof

I would suggest that agrof's "video is mandatory" is a bit tongue in cheek.

What they are trying to say is that they really want to see movement and demonstration of how your model works :thumbup:

Just to avoid misunderstanding, it is not meant like tongue in cheek but as an advice / explanation, otherwise I wouldn't had list the advantages.

Other than that, yes, we would like to see how well it works, but of course You are not obligated to do a video at all, that's why I wrote: "so to say, mandatory". :classic:

I wonder why a video seems to be so important. The truck can drive, steer, move the crane in the described way - just like the Pictures show...

Because model could have mechanical flaws, which are not (or hard to see) visible on the pictures.

The brickshelf link should be available in a few hours. Everybody who uses brickshelf knows that it will take some time and cannot be influenced by the user.

But you can use deep links (click on your picture at BS gallery until in the adress field will be something with .jpg at the end) and show it immediately. But do not add it within [ img ] markers, if they are as big as this single picture you have provided. It is blurry, and could be much smaller.

Edited by M_longer

I like it. It looks pretty nice. You did a pretty good job with the panelling for the cabin and such. I also really like the color scheme. The white and lime works very nicely together.

I'd be curious to see more of the inner workings. I don't know if the model is still built up, but if so, maybe you can do a few pictures when disassembling in the future? Is it true  that the outriggers have a dual motion with a single drive? It sure looks like so. This looks very ingenious. How did you do the raisable rear axle? How does the rear axle steer (if it does)?

There are a few things I like less though. Mainly the fact that the middle axle is wider than the other two. Also, there seems to be no mechanism for raising the bed, right?

Anyhow, really nice work overall, I like it :)

On 16/11/2016 at 5:25 AM, Timewhatistime said:

Sorry, I'm not on YouTube.

(And it makes the usual noise everybody who builds with powerfunctions knows.)

video is very important, its kinda stardard practice really

@ Erik Leppen: Thank you for your Feedback, both positive and negative.

I do not plan do disassemble the model, so it is still built up.

Yes, the outriggers have a dual Motion driven by just one motorized function:

The outrigger is pushed out by the 13 L liftarms with teeth. At a certain point the second liftarm at the bottom will lock, so it cannot be pushed any further. But the 13 L liftarm with teeth is pushed a little more, so it causes the L-shaped liftarm (5x3) to sink down the "foot" of the outrigger. A rubber band makes the correct order: First step: Pushing out - Second step: sink down.

The function of the rear axle (lifting/steering) I have described in the original post. The lifting is achieved by two 2 L liftarm (+0) which are turned by about 90° by a motorized function. When turning, they lift the rear axle for about one stud in height.

The steering is achieved by a knob wheel which is linked by some levers to the steering function. The knob wheel turns about 45° degrees left or right, respectively. By that, it makes a pin (see picture) travel, which is mounted on a conventional steering mechanism (see pictures on brickshelf). The pin fits pretty well between two knobs of the knob wheel.

When the rear axle is lifted, the pin lifts from the gap between two knobs. So the pin won' be travelling any more, when the knob wheel makes it's turn.

Pin-min.png

On 11/16/2016 at 0:51 AM, M_longer said:

First, the Brickshelf folder is not yet public. Second, where is the video showing how it works?

Hi. I know we all like to see a video. But can you please use a more friendly tone. Timewhatistime is a new member, making his first post. I'd appreciate a more warm welcome than just asking for a video.

@Timewhatistime That's a nice creation! And welcome to EB. As you can see, we are all looking forward to a video. If you could post one, that would be great.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Hi. I know we all like to see a video. But can you please use a more friendly tone. Timewhatistime is a new member, making his first post. I'd appreciate a more warm welcome than just asking for a video.

@Timewhatistime That's a nice creation! And welcome to EB. As you can see, we are all looking forward to a video. If you could post one, that would be great.

It seems that my pretty straightforward style of writing will not work here on EB. I will return to posting my MOCs and not writing anything else in other topics.

12 hours ago, Jim said:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Thanks for writing this. Sometimes little reminder about how much difference simple "please, thank you" can make is useful. So, thank you, Jim.

I really like this model. Especially colour choice and clever steering.

As already said, this color combo is very appealing to me! I like the frame and the position of the crane. Functions are also great! Hope to see more from you.

Once again @ Erik Leppen: You are right, there is no mechanism for raising the bed (see description above). You have to loosen the correct locks on the right side or on the left side, respectively. Than you can tilt the bed to the other side.

There is a post that keeps the bed in tiltes Position (manually, as well).

The middle axle is a Little bit wider, due to the double rims and due to the space I needed in implement all the mechanisms (espacially the liftin mechanism for the rear axle).  I noticed the fact that is a little bit wider than the front axle and the rear axle - but I didn't mind as I realized that it corresponds to real trucks. They also often have an axle that is a little wider because of the double rims.

imgp9258.jpg

Once again @Erik Leppen: You asked for some description of the mechanism for steering and liftig of the rear axle. I just disassembled the Arocs and took some pictures for brickshelf that will illustrate the mechanisms.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=566910

steering-separated.jpg

Before I took it apart I built a new and improved Arcos. The cabin is the old one - the rest is freshly constructed. I will take some pictures in the near future.

On 12/8/2016 at 0:59 AM, Timewhatistime said:

Once again @ Erik Leppen: You are right, there is no mechanism for raising the bed (see description above). You have to loosen the correct locks on the right side or on the left side, respectively. Than you can tilt the bed to the other side.

Your images are far too large.  Please limit them to 1000 pixels wide, thanks.

In the first two weeks of the new year I built an improved version of my Arocs with crane.

The interior has been simplified, and I guess that the parts number has decreased. The functions are the same as in the predecessor.

The Extension range of the stabilizers has increased due to the 14L gear racks from 42043 (the predecessor used the 13 L gear racks).

The crane's base is the new turntable a much more rigid.

The cabin has nearly been left untouched; the crane was improved a little bit.

The colour scheme has stayed the same, obviously; I achieved to Mount more mud guards in my favourite colour    ;-)

The new brickshelf link will work in a few days (I hope):

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=569145

Sorry, there will be no video.

arocs_with_crane_2017.jpg

Motorized functions in "driving mode":

- Steering (M motor #1); the steering whel in the cabin moves when the truck is steered

- Driving (XL motor); the two beacons on the cabin and the beacon on the rear bumper are turning when driving; there is a front PTO for further attachments)

- Lifting of rear axle (M Motor #2)  (it steers while being dropped; it's locked while being lifted)

Motorized functions in "crane mode":

- turning of crane (M motor #1)

- Elevation of crane boom (XL motor)

- Bending of crane boom (M Motor #2)

Motorized functions in both modes:

- front lights

- Stabilizers (at first, they are pushed out; after that, they are lowered (controlled by rubber bands) (M motor #3);

the stabilizers' drive is connected to control three driving rings (red) in the center of the truck that change between "driving mode" and "crane mode" (I adopted Pipasseyoyo's principle from his "Recovery truck with crane")

- extending crane is possible in both modes, but makes sense in "crane mode", exclusively (M motor #4)

Manually controlled functions:

- tilting of cabin (easy accessible battery box)

- tilting of cargo bay (left or right); locked by a simple mount

- cargo bay's sides can be opened (both left and right)

- cabin doors can be opened

- seat at the crane boom can be detached

All motorized functions are secured by a white 24t gear, except for the drinving. The crane's extension ist secured by a linear clutch which works very well.

After having taken the Pictures I instantly followed the proposals: I used 4 L axles with stop for the steered wheels (both front axle and rear axle). On the Picture you see an 0.5L overlap. It is now hidden by grey 3x3 disks, which looks eben more realistic.