Sir Gareth

The LEGO Batman Movie Set/CMF Rumors & Discussion

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:

Me too. What popular IPs does Universal even own? I have problems searching for a list and I doubt they have something that popular in mass media like Avengers, Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. The Lego Movies were a wild mix of big properties everyone knows, old classics like Wizzard of Oz and sweet little ones like Gremlins. There was something for everybody. I doubt it can be a success at mainstream consumers without some big ones.

Madagascar, Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Monsters vs Aliens, How to Train Your Dragon, Despicable Me, The Secret Life of Pets, Trolls, Jurassic World, Minions, Fast/Furious, Dr. Seuss, Back to the Future. 
 

I would say it’s going to be okay. Some of these properties we have already had, others are coming out soon. Some would be quite welcome, I feel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you :)

Hm... "How to Train Your Dragon" could be interesting... New castle parts:moar:

Edited by Gorilla94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gorilla94 said:
On 12/21/2019 at 2:48 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

I highly doubt Universal's first Lego Movie will be IP-based like TLBM was. :sceptic:

Me too. What popular IPs does Universal even own? I have problems searching for a list and I doubt they have something that popular in mass media like Avengers, Star Wars, Batman, Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. The Lego Movies were a wild mix of big properties everyone knows, old classics like Wizard of Oz and sweet little ones like Gremlins. There was something for everybody. I doubt it can be a success at mainstream consumers without some big ones.

Remember that one in-development spinoff, The Billion Brick Race? Given that it lost two directors during preproduction and hasn't been given a third since the last one departed, you could say this new deal with Universal may be the final nail-in-the-coffin for the development. But, given that the producer who helmed the first four cinematic Lego Movies will continue to oversee further ones under Universal, I'm wondering if there's a chance he'll be taking The Billion Brick Race with him over from Warner Brothers, reformulating it into Universal's own reboot/take on The LEGO Movie as a fast-tracked way to kick-off their own LEGO Cinematic Universe.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J4ck said:

Since Universal will be doing the movies, is it confirmed for no more Lego Batman movies?

Presumed at least, yes. If Universal would wish to carry on the continuity Warner Bros had started if given the license to do so, then at best I think Will Arnett's Batman might be granted no more than a cameo, because I just can't see WB extending them as much as a prominent supporting role for the character, let alone another movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 3:18 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Presumed at least, yes. If Universal would wish to carry on the continuity Warner Bros had started if given the license to do so, then at best I think Will Arnett's Batman might be granted no more than a cameo, because I just can't see WB extending them as much as a prominent supporting role for the character, let alone another movie.

Yes, I’d be very surprised to see WB give Universal the green light to do another Lego Batman Movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 1:24 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Remember that one in-development spinoff, The Billion Brick Race? Given that it lost two directors during preproduction and hasn't been given a third since the last one departed, you could say this new deal with Universal may be the final nail-in-the-coffin for the development. But, given that the producer who helmed the first four cinematic Lego Movies will continue to oversee further ones under Universal, I'm wondering if there's a chance he'll be taking The Billion Brick Race with him over from Warner Brothers, reformulating it into Universal's own reboot/take on The LEGO Movie as a fast-tracked way to kick-off their own LEGO Cinematic Universe.

I don't know much about that project. I read somewhere Billion Brick race became TLM2. If it is a completely canceled project that indeed speaks for an end of this movie line. 

Do you have to own a licence to use a characters name? In that case they could let Bruce be somewhere with his alien queen (it is so awefull they made him marry her... ) and make a new Movie with Finn as an adult playing with his own kids - i hate that idea but could it imagine as a possible movie.

Edited by Gorilla94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

I don't know much about that project. I read somewhere Billion Brick race became TLM2. 

Nope, TLM2 and TBBR were completely separate, distinct developments. :wink: 

Oh, and speaking of such, you just might want to disregard that whole stretch of a theory of mine, because the last director assigned to the project revealed some concept art and other details about the film quite shortly after I put forth that postulation...

The Brick Fan - The Billion Brick Race Concept Art Released

Quote

It looks like the partnership between The LEGO Group and Warner Bros. has pretty much ended as it has been reported that Universal Pictures was in talks to develop new film properties. As a result of this revelation, a spin-off LEGO WB movie called The Billion Brick Race that was in the works has also been nixed and The Book of Life director Jorge R. Gutierrez has released some concept art of some of the character designs for the movie. He describes the movie as “a racing film about race, privilege and gentrification with references to all my favorite 80s and 90s cop and action movies.”

EMgo6wLU4AEoo0G?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still hopeful we  will see Batman Return for a sequel, movie made money  

Studios can easily broker a deal.

As for the sets, Lego can keep it lean with the amount they release!, with quality over quantity! 

Time will tell i guess! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Nope, TLM2 and TBBR were completely separate, distinct developments. :wink: 

Oh, and speaking of such, you just might want to disregard that whole stretch of a theory of mine, because the last director assigned to the project revealed some concept art and other details about the film quite shortly after I put forth that postulation...

The Brick Fan - The Billion Brick Race Concept Art Released

Thank you for the clarification :)

I am a bit confused why they aren't yellow 🤔 Are these some licences i don't know?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gorilla94 said:

I am a bit confused why they aren't yellow 🤔 Are these some licences i don't know?

It is an original story with original main characters, but they're likely "fleshies" due to the narrative themes of "race, privilege and gentrification" that the last director assigned to the film wanted to explore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Digger of Bricks said:

It is an original story with original main characters, but they're likely "fleshies" due to the narrative themes of "race, privilege and gentrification" that the last director assigned to the film wanted to explore. 

Ok, that explaines the skin colours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 2:04 AM, J4ck said:

Privilege? Sounds far too political to be a film for children !!

I don't think it's really "too political" but a kind of politics you can't put in a good childrens movie. The Simpsons episode "Last exit to Springfield" handles for example the concept of unions, striking and health care in a very good way (i know that the Simpsons isn't mainly targetet at children. Even in the beginning of the episode there is a very violent Schwarzenegger parody. I just meant that these politic themes are presented very understandable offering potential for discussion without becoming propaganda. It is even usable to talk with the kids about oportunities and problems of technological progress in the workplace. Like "what do you think would have happened if the robots replacing the striking people would have worked fine?""maybe some could work IT-Experts? But that needs a higher degree"). 

I won't write a word about my personal opinion about identity politics. This is just meant as a comment about movies.

The classical heroes journey, which was the main plot in every kids movie i ever saw, is about overcoming his internal and external challenges. I don't see how identity politics can be integrated into that. This is just an example. If a company offers a product for most people and a minority feels discriminated because that product isn't what they want, a classical heroes journey would be the heroes making their own company selling the product they want successfully. But if they do that they would prove that there is no systematic oppression and everybody with enough talent can be that successfull. So if the Movie makers really want to show this privilege it has to be a real tragedy or use a big part of the film to show that the other company owners don't deserve their position, which they just have because of their privilege. I never saw a tragedy movie for children and i can't imagine the second option becoming an entertaining movie.

I really don't want to offend anyone. If someone has an idea to make a working plot with this political content i'll take back what i wrote.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gorilla94 I somewhat understand. But it’s a children’s film. I’m absolutely fed up of people putting politics into children's programs to raise up their next political voters/army. Children need to enjoy their childhood, not politicised. I don’t want either side to politicise children's shows.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 1:04 AM, J4ck said:

Privilege? Sounds far too political to be a film for children !!

Race, privilege, poverty etc affect children too. Everything is political. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, williejm said:

Race, privilege, poverty etc affect children too. Everything is political. 

Exactly. You can't divorce storytelling from politics; the morals conveyed in stories (e.g. the characterisation of their antagonists or the virtues of the protagonists) reflect certain worldviews and thus political stances. A major difference between stories in this regard is subtlety :wink:

And demanding stories to be apolitical is itself a political stance. So if you as a writer purposefully craft a story to be as apolitical as humanly possible, you thereby inject your own political agenda into it (namely that of being purposefully apolitical) :grin:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meh, politics have been in kid’s books, TV shows and films for a long time. Fairy tales are political, Disney films, comics, comic books, plays, basically anything with a message. My son is 6 and he knows who our prime minister is, he’s obsessed with Horrible Histories and Star Wars. When school starts again I have a feeling that they will bring up Australia, which is in the midsts of an absolutely horrific disaster with massive political undertones. It’s hard to do myself because of how destructive it is, but I will support them when they do. In the 21st Century you can’t escape politics, unless you live in a yurt. And even then the reason for that will be a political one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2019 at 1:52 PM, Gorilla94 said:

What popular IPs does Universal even own?

Jurassic Park/World, Back to the Future, Fast and Furious, Jaws, Minions and pretty much every single Dreamworks franchise

EDIT: didn't see there was another page :wall:

Edited by Guyon2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.