Sir Gareth

The LEGO Batman Movie Set/CMF Rumors & Discussion

Just now, linnormlord said:

As collectors, I think we are discussing our purchasing decisions and collecting habits more than we are analyzing TLG's decisions. For me, I knew I couldn't buy every TLBM set early on, so I lean in the direction of "there are too many sets and they are too expensive." If I had bought them all (such as ~every Marvel set from 2012-2016) I would be arguing that "the number of sets, the set sizes, and the prices have been fine."

This, too, is a great point, I haven't bought a single TLBM set other than polybags and CMFs. I haven't bought any because they are too expensive and I have no space for new sets, so I agree 100% with you.

Just now, J4ck said:

This, too, is a great point, I haven't bought a single TLBM set other than polybags and CMFs. I haven't bought any because they are too expensive and I have no space for new sets, so I agree 100% with you.

Some great points coming in here, it's good to see.

I would dearly love the whole range, but that isn't viable for me right now. It will be less so in January when the third wave and new DC sets arrive, but hey, my time will come. 

Like a lot of Lego, the target demographic is always cited as kids, but here we are on an AFOL forum. The in jokes within the film, along with the Easter eggs and characters as obscure as Mime and the Condiment King suggest that the demographic is slightly wider than assumed.

Yes, to kids 7 years is an age, and they will be as aware of Ninjago as Batman. But look at the pages of this thread; there are members asking about the characters and their history as well. I dare say the same is happening on the Ninjago threads.

I will always remember my Good Samaritan deed when another dad saw me furiously going through the CMFs and joked about how long I had been there, then admitted he wanted to find the "pencil guy" for his son. Good job it was the first one I found.

I'm also certain the movie's performance in the box office didn't help either. Domestically, the movie was very successful; but not The Lego Movie successful and in Foreign areas it made even less. That's not to say TLBM performed terribly, in fact, quite the opposite. But, that's not to say it was great either (same can be said the for the sets).  In contrast to the Lego movie, which had a budget of $60 million, The Lego Batman movie's budget increased by $20 million (Not including promotion for either film.) And, of course, the Lego movie still performed better - making it's total profits smother the Lego Batman movie. If that weren't enough, here's another issue: the demographic.

We've repeated the word "kids" numerous times...but how many little girls would actually go see a boy's batman movie? Let alone purchase a wave of sets dedicated to boys. Hate to stereotype, but think about it. It's not that uncommon that a girl would prefer to see another movie at that time, instead of some movie her brother would want to see. Despite the legacy of Batman and the film's heavy marketing, Batman just isn't as accessible as the Lego brand itself. The fact that girls could see the Lego movie was another reason the sets flew off the shelves, everyone wanted a piece of that movie. Literally. 

Just my two cents. 

Edited by TheAmazingDarkKnight

51 minutes ago, TheAmazingDarkKnight said:

We've repeated the word "kids" numerous times...but how many little girls would actually go see a boy's batman movie? Let alone purchase a wave of sets dedicated to boys. Hate to stereotype, but think about it. It's not that uncommon that a girl would prefer to see another movie at that time, instead of some movie her brother would want to see. Despite the legacy of Batman and the film's heavy marketing, Batman just isn't as accessible as the Lego brand itself. The fact that girls could see the Lego movie was another reason the sets flew off the shelves, everyone wanted a piece of that movie. Literally. 

Just my two cents. 

Er what? Are those boy cents or girl cents?

1 hour ago, TheAmazingDarkKnight said:

Just my two cents. 

I don't really agree with this... My niece is turning two next week and she can pick batman out of any characters that you show her. She also has a powerwheels batmobile. (This could be because her dad is a Batman nut??) Plus, she has 2 or 3 batman Duplo sets.

Another example, my friends 3 year old came over and we were playing legos and she wanted to play with... Batman. She chose him over any other minifig I had including the Disney CMF set. A few weeks later she was still asking her mom if she could come to our house and play Batman.

Edited by ZachaRhombus

Hate to interrupt this conversation, but over on Rebrick there is a contest for Lego Batman, and amongst the prizes is " An Upcoming LEGO Batman Movie set, to be disclosed at a later date".  Think this could possibly be Wayne Manor, or just a random Wave 3 set?

2 hours ago, williejm said:

Oh my. You don't post very often, but when you do, it's usually worthwhile. Thanks for the laugh!

And for the record, both of my nieces love Batman. And the Ninja Turtles. And the Avengers. And all of the Disney Princesses. And Star Wars. It's probably because their uncle is awesome :wink:

3 hours ago, rob-ot5000 said:

Oh my. You don't post very often, but when you do, it's usually worthwhile. Thanks for the laugh!

And for the record, both of my nieces love Batman. And the Ninja Turtles. And the Avengers. And all of the Disney Princesses. And Star Wars. It's probably because their uncle is awesome :wink:

My daughter always plays with fairy batman and i have to play with spiderman. Their best friend is chewbacca and a fabuland mouse is the enemy. 

I find it strange how people complain about all rare villains. It's like the one chance we can get those figures. However i understand the worries about the amount of sets. But more the amount of lego sets in general. There is just so much, it's becoming harder and harder to collect them. 

1 hour ago, Borex said:

Given that Barbara Gordon was depicted as a strong female lead, and got a popular actress to voice her suggests that the studio were aware of targeting a broader demographic. Then look at the number of female characters in the movie. Then consider that most of the sets (including the upcoming ones) contain a female character, in most cases two. Girls were included in the marketing.

The Lego Movie fared better and was always going to because it was a new idea. Sequels rarely match the glory.

2 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

Given that Barbara Gordon was depicted as a strong female lead, and got a popular actress to voice her suggests that the studio were aware of targeting a broader demographic. Then look at the number of female characters in the movie. Then consider that most of the sets (including the upcoming ones) contain a female character, in most cases two. Girls were included in the marketing.

Indeed. They also deliberately added in more female characters (I do recall moaning on here at 'genderbending' Chief O'Hara ?). We got some great badass and nonsensical female villains, Babs was easily the most competent character in the film, and several of the sets had a good showing of female figures (one of the most acce££ible sets was 2/3 female). Shockingly not all of them were Caucasian either. Representation matters but so does mindset and language - even on forums like this.

7 hours ago, rob-ot5000 said:

Some uncles love Disney Princesses too! And isn't it glorious that in Lego, all of these characters can meet and interact, have adventures, *and* play house?

Edited by williejm

13 hours ago, williejm said:

Why the polemic?

3 hours ago, williejm said:

*snip* Shockingly not all of them were Caucasian either.*snip*

And what does that have to do with what was being said? If you honestly want to challenge the idea that Batman (as well as Superhero stuff in general) has always had and most probably will always have more appeal for boys than for girls (and while I appreciate any anecdotal evidence that says otherwise, I don't consider it to be statistically representative), suit yourself, but there's no reason to turn this into a broader political debate. All that was being said, really, was that significantly more boys went to see the movie and subsequently bought or asked for the sets, and from what I perceived and continue to perceive in theaters and stores, I think that might very well be true. Personally, I don't see why that should be considered a bad thing either, but the poster did not even speak from a moral standpoint rather than from a marketing perspective.

Sorry for the rant, I just see so many of these knee-jerk reactions lately, and I really don't get it.

This is getting a bit incoherent... 

This thread is for discussion on the Lego Batman Movie Sets, not the current Lego financial standing or their broader marketing strategy.  Please take that discussion over to General Discussion

Thanks. :thumbup:

Any word on availability of the kiss kiss tuxedo Batman in the US? Hoping for some kind of promotion to get that suit. It's the only one I am missing so far.

9 minutes ago, fordtruckin said:

Any word on availability of the kiss kiss tuxedo Batman in the US? Hoping for some kind of promotion to get that suit. It's the only one I am missing so far.

I was going to ask the same thing for Europe. The Toys'R'Us "Bricktember" suits have rekindled my collector's zeal, and the KKT is the only recent one I'm still missing. If anyone wants to let go of one, I have a spare case of the T'R'Us ones, maybe we can work something out.

Although I do have to say that I'm pretty appalled by the quality of these minifigs. While I've often heard complaints about CMF's and never really had an issue with their overall quality, those T'R'Us ones have really loose joints, and the Bat Wizard does not possess any clutch power to speak of. The connection between the torso and the legs/skirt piece is so weak that he literally falls apart as soon as I touch him. I mean, if I'd gotten those figs from eBay, I would have been sure they're bootlegs. It's so bad that I'm on the brink of calling customer service, but I don't know if that would do any good. Is something like this common? Do others have the same problem (if anyone opened theirs, that is)? I've had figures that were less than perfect before, but never to this degree. :sceptic:

Edited by Brick Dangerous

Just now, Brick Dangerous said:

I was going to ask the same thing for Europe. The Toys'R'Us "Bricktember" suits have rekindled my collector's zeal, and the KKT is the only recent one I'm still missing. If anyone wants to let go of one, I have a spare case of the T'R'Us ones, maybe we can work something out.

Although I do have to say that I'm pretty appalled by the quality of these minifigs. While I've often heard complaints about CMF's and never really had an issue with their overall quality, those T'R'Us ones have really loose joints, and the Bat Wizard does not possess any clutch power to speak of. The connection between the torso and the legs/skirt piece is so weak that he literally falls apart as soon as I touch him. I mean, if I'd gotten those figs from eBay, I would have been sure they're bootlegs. It's so bad that I'm on the brink of calling customer service, but I don't know if that would do any good. Is something like this common? Do others have the same problem (if anyone opened theirs, that is). I've had figures that were less than perfect before, but never to this degree. :sceptic:

Hi bud, drop me a message. The Kiss Kiss ones are plentiful over here in the U.K. so I can nab them easily.

39 minutes ago, Brick Dangerous said:

Although I do have to say that I'm pretty appalled by the quality of these minifigs. While I've often heard complaints about CMF's and never really had an issue with their overall quality, those T'R'Us ones have really loose joints, and the Bat Wizard does not possess any clutch power to speak of. The connection between the torso and the legs/skirt piece is so weak that he literally falls apart as soon as I touch him. I mean, if I'd gotten those figs from eBay, I would have been sure they're bootlegs. It's so bad that I'm on the brink of calling customer service, but I don't know if that would do any good. Is something like this common? Do others have the same problem (if anyone opened theirs, that is)? I've had figures that were less than perfect before, but never to this degree. :sceptic:

The bad clutch between the slope piece and the torso is an issue many figures have. It's just not designed to be used with a torso. The hip piece does a better job than regular studs to keep a figure together. I keep hoping they make a special slope piece for minifigures.

44 minutes ago, Captain Britain said:

Hi bud, drop me a message. The Kiss Kiss ones are plentiful over here in the U.K. so I can nab them easily.

Really?! Where from I must enquire!

I knew they had them at Argos for a short while but I have no idea where else one can aquire them at?

Just now, J4ck said:

I knew they had them at Argos for a short while but I have no idea where else one can aquire them at?

You already said it - Argos have them currently at £2.99. I'm still waiting to know what to do with mine, just in case they go and drop him into the CMF.

3 hours ago, J4ck said:

Keychains correct?  Not a stand alone minifigure

46 minutes ago, RyanMe said:

Keychains correct?  Not a stand alone minifigure

As far as I know it's only currently available as a key chain. No word yet on if it will appear as an actual minifigure.

On 9/6/2017 at 9:59 AM, Robert8 said:

This LEGO Batman Movie line is way too big

I wonder how CMF Series 2 and wave 3 are going to perform on sales next winter

And there are "regular" DC sets also featuring Batman

Agree with all of this. I also think that having 2 major LEGO movies released in the same year with multiple sets to go along with them is too much. 

8 hours ago, J4ck said:

8 hours ago, RedHoodPug said:

You already said it - Argos have them currently at £2.99. 

Yeah Argos for £2.99. Although it appears they used to have so many in stock, but now my local one has hardly any it seems. Although I live near about 5! Just not the one I can walk to in 5 minutes lol.

4 hours ago, fordtruckin said:

As far as I know it's only currently available as a key chain. No word yet on if it will appear as an actual minifigure.

It's easy enough to remove the keychain and replace the cowl with a regular one.

I just bought the keychain on bricklink and I removed the keychain no problem. The only catch was that the helmet got really melted. But I'm so happy with the figure!