First off, I have to thank you guys for not only creating these plans, but also giving them away to everyone free of charge. That was very unexpected. I would have gladly paid whatever the asking price was for high quality plans like this. Lord knows I have wasted money on plans in the past from people that never lived up to their hype. I was up till 4 am last night going through each page gathering up parts and tearing apart sets. I had to order some orange bits and the numbered tiles as I didn't have them on hand. I have all of the correct parts to finish the chassis up minus the red and yellow axles that were shown in the plans. I assume that there would be no difference using black and gray ones instead though. Was there any particular reasoning behind the use of the red and yellow axles when you used black and gray in other parts of the model? Also after page 24 there is a large image with an exclamation point. I am assuming that is showing the proper alignment of the shift linkages?

Time get started building. I am very curious to see how this shifting system works. :devil:

Finished building up to page 70 last night. Along the way I was skeptical as to how this shifting mechanism was even going to work. Then when I connected the 4 white rubber bands, it was like magic. Simply amazing is all I can say. It is so much fun to shift up and down and it works so perfectly. I love how you incorporated shocks into it. That was very clever. I actually tried to jam the gearbox and I couldn't. I also rolled it quickly in 1st gear and shifted it up and down while rolling with no gears ever grinding. I am very impressed. So far in the build this MOC feels like a real model from Lego and the instructions are just excellent and very easy to follow. I am going to finish up the dash and seats tonight and then I have to wait on some orange parts. I'll post pictures when I finish it up which will hopefully be by the end of the week.

there are 4 of 32449 orange thin beams 1x4 needed - unforntunatelly there are exactly zero available via bricklink :-(

are these parts clearly visible or can they been replaced for example by black items?

3 minutes ago, Kumbbl said:

there are 4 of 32449 orange thin beams 1x4 needed - unforntunatelly there are exactly zero available via bricklink :-(

are these parts clearly visible or can they been replaced for example by black items?

From what I can see, they are in the angled back panels of the car under the rear lights. I would imagine that they can be replaced with a 2 x 4 L type liftarm. I have 8 of the thin ones on hand so lucky for me.:laugh:

1 hour ago, Kumbbl said:

Just use 2 of these  2825.t1.png And 2 of these  6632.t1.png

I didn't realize those parts were so rare..

18 hours ago, Meatman said:

First off, I have to thank you guys for not only creating these plans, but also giving them away to everyone free of charge. That was very unexpected. I would have gladly paid whatever the asking price was for high quality plans like this. Lord knows I have wasted money on plans in the past from people that never lived up to their hype. I was up till 4 am last night going through each page gathering up parts and tearing apart sets. I had to order some orange bits and the numbered tiles as I didn't have them on hand. I have all of the correct parts to finish the chassis up minus the red and yellow axles that were shown in the plans. I assume that there would be no difference using black and gray ones instead though. Was there any particular reasoning behind the use of the red and yellow axles when you used black and gray in other parts of the model? Also after page 24 there is a large image with an exclamation point. I am assuming that is showing the proper alignment of the shift linkages?

Time get started building. I am very curious to see how this shifting system works. :devil:

Axle color doesn't matter .. I purposely asked Eric to use the new colored axles in the entire drive-train so that people would use new axles.. During the process of the instructions, I had a 3rd chassis that wasn't operating as smoothly as the other 2 that I had built and it turned out the issue was an axle that was either slightly bent or slightly too long..

That area after page 24 needs to be built exactly like it is in the picture, including the Red #2 Connectors facing opposite ways.. That was something that I requested that we add to avoid any issues down the road.. You may also have wondered why there are 1/2 pins in the ends of the 9L liftarms that are being used to move the driving rings.. This is make sure that people don't use that last hole in the liftarm and then have to tear the model apart after they are finished to fix the problem.. Another thing we added were the pins and 1 x 1 sleeve connectors in the 5 x 7 open frames to make certain the differentials were facing the proper direction, otherwise I would get complaints that the gearbox wasn't turning when the car was rolled along...

Many times when people are following the instructions, they are not following them closely..

On 1.1.2017 at 4:09 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Great build, wonderful that there is now instructions.... and I was happy to see it also posted on mocpages. 

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but there is obviously a lot of the body work parts from the Porsche.  If one would like to build this car, how close to the Porsche is the parts list?  I get is not a "B" model, but if one already has the Porsche, and they want to do this build in orange, do they share 50, 60, 70% etc... of the same parts?  Even if you are not sure exactly, do you have a good estimate Paul? 

According to Rebrickable the porsche has 68,2% of the required parts. (obtained by using a empty parts list and then "build this MOC" and scrolling down to suggested sets for parts ("other sets to consider")

Congrats on making the front page Paul! Well deserved. I'll be posting pics of model as soon as my orange connectors get here.

I finished building this last weekend and thought I would offer some impressions.  First, some renders:

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

revolve.gif

The transparent render shows what is going on inside.  I like the geometry of the 4 wheel independent suspension, and you can see that this model is all wheel drive with three differentials.  Best of all is the gearbox though.  The way it interfaces with the center diff is clever, but the sequential shifting mechanism is the real star of the model.  The whole gearbox works more smoothly than any supercar I have ever built, and I've built a lot.

800x450.jpg

Here are some photos of construction.  I had to build the body before the chassis because I was waiting on a couple of Bricklink orders.  Below is the result.  The model is not really designed to be modular, but I actually found that making these modules separately worked very well.

640x478.jpg

The chassis the the most rigid I have ever made.  It is so well braced, and yet very light.  Really good engineering here.  You can easily pick it up with one hand and wave it around with no problem.  You might call it swooshable.

640x478.jpg

And the completed model:

800x598.jpg

I really enjoyed building this.  I'd have to call the design "professional" and I feel like it could be a real LEGO set.  Speaking of LEGO sets, the comparison with 42056 is inevitable given the color and how many of the same parts are used.  Here is an image comparing them.  The size is a bit different and obviously so is the design.

800x519.jpg

22 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I finished building this last weekend and thought I would offer some impressions.  First, some renders:

800x450.jpg

The transparent render shows what is going on inside.  I like the geometry of the 4 wheel independent suspension, and you can see that this model is all wheel drive with three differentials.  Best of all is the gearbox though.  The way it interfaces with the center diff is clever, but the sequential shifting mechanism is the real star of the model.  The whole gearbox works more smoothly than any supercar I have ever built, and I've built a lot.

Here are some photos of construction.  I had to build the body before the chassis because I was waiting on a couple of Bricklink orders.  Below is the result.  The model is not really designed to be modular, but I actually found that making these modules separately worked very well.

The chassis the the most rigid I have ever made.  It is so well braced, and yet very light.  Really good engineering here.  You can easily pick it up with one hand and wave it around with no problem.  You might call it swooshable.

I really enjoyed building this.  I'd have to call the design "professional" and I feel like it could be a real LEGO set.  Speaking of LEGO sets, the comparison with 42056 is inevitable given the color and how many of the same parts are used.  Here is an image comparing them.  The size is a bit different and obviously so is the design.

Great write up Blackbird. The car looks stellar! Thanks as well for the renders, does the car justice :) 

On 1/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, Blakbird said:

I don't think that I have walked past my Scorpion model without stopping to play with the gears as upshifting and downshifting is so much fun. The entire drive train just is a mechanical marvel. :wub: Probably the most well designed "Lego Like" non motorized supercar MOC since the NK Predator. Lots of unique design ideas in this one. it's a solid model. Of course without the awesome instructions provided, we would not be able to experience this high quality build.

I am still waiting on a few pieces from a west coast bricklink seller so I can finally swap out a few wrong colored parts. It's coming up on almost 2 weeks now. I'd like to get some pics taken already. :angry:

Edited by Meatman

I really like this car but there is one thing off to me about it, the roof-windshield. The front looks very nice and round but when you get farther back to the windshield it is very square along with the hood, it looks like it should have scissor doors but it does not because of the large gaps.

Finally got the last of the parts that I was waiting for. Please excuse these crap pictures as they do not do this model justice. I mainly stuck to the way it was designed following the exact colors, but I changed a couple areas like the seat stripe color, the center caps of the wheels, and I replaced the four black 3L pins with orange ones. As stated by Blakbird this model has probably one of the best and most unique gearboxes ever designed. It's just a thing of beauty. It's so much better than what is in the Porsche, in fact when I got my Porsche model out of the case to take pictures with this car, when playing with this much superior design, I had forgotten how bad the gearbox is in the Porsche model. Even with the changes and mods, it still isn't right. I also noticed my front suspension is completely dead in the Porsche, which really sucks. I didn't realize that the springs would die like that in only a few months. It is literally bottomed out in the front. It was just a bad design with too much weight and not enough strength from only those 2 springs.

640x377.jpg

Here are 2 awesome cars side by side. The Predator and The Scorpion.

640x353.jpg

Size comparison with the 42056. The wheel base is exactly the same on the Scorpion and the 42056. I don't know if this was intentional or just a coincidence.

640x639.jpg

Overall, the Porsche is a few studs longer.

640x375.jpg

The height at the roof is almost the same. The 42056 Spoiler is much higher.

640x471.jpg

Interior is decent and the shifter is easy to get to through the front windshield. The white gauges were a nice touch. I also liked how the angle f the dash was achieved.

640x489.jpg

Here is a shot with everything open.

640x653.jpg

This is without a doubt one of the coolest aspects of the car along with the perfect shifting mechanism. I really like how you can see through the rear window what gear that you are in. This was a welcomed feature.

640x446.jpg

This is just a great solid model all around. The suspension is awesome, the steering works great, the chassis is stiff and expertly designed, and the all wheel drive gearbox is  just amazing and works flawlessly. There are a lot of clever ideas used in this model that I can see being used for other MOCs. Thanks so much to Blakbird and Crowkillers for making this possible for everyone to build. I have paid for instructions for models that got high praise that were no where near the quality of these instructions or this build.

640x229.jpg

Aesthetics 9/10 - Great looking car, but could maybe use some more flash in certain areas. The unique use of fender parts was slick and looks great.
Model Design: 9.5/10 - Just an amazing design all around. Everything works as advertised.
Features: 9/10 - Would have liked to have seen a new door mechanism. The Shifting mechanism is the star of this show.
Playablity: 9/10 - Did I mention the gearbox works amazingly well? The model is also very solid and can be picked up from all angles without any thing falling off or coming apart.
Instructions Quality: 9.5/10 - There were like 2 areas I had to study a bit, but the quality here is excellent, plus they are FREE!!!

If you are into cars, I highly recommend this incredibly designed model.

Edited by Meatman

One of my German friends just sent me this link.. Someone built it with the wheels from the 8448.. I am not sure if they actually fit the hubs or not, but it looks pretty cool..

8KglJN5.jpg

Edited by Paul Boratko

5 hours ago, Paul Boratko said:

One of my German friends just sent me this link.. Someone built it with the wheels from the 8448.. I am not sure if they actually fit the hubs or not, but it looks pretty cool..

8KglJN5.jpg

That looks really sweet! How did he attach those wheels though? I see that the calipers are still there in his pictures.

The #3 technic connectors are pretty rare (or very (very) expansive) in orange, and I think quite a few of them could be replaced by black ones, especially on the back of the front wheel and on the front of the back wheels, to simulate air intakes for cooling brakes or the engine.

Other than that, I just finished ordering all the missing parts for this amazing supercar

5 hours ago, charlesw said:

The #3 technic connectors are pretty rare (or very (very) expansive) in orange

good idea. I think we can thank the tithy troves kinetic sculpture for the shortage :)

Back when I was designing this model in the fall, I had no idea that the #3 orange connectors were going to be an issue.. When I checked bricklink back in like October/November, there were at least 150 sellers that had dozens of them, now there are under 80 sellers that have them.. Eric had told me that there was a kinetic sculpture that someone built and had instructions for that used over 70 of them..

I probably have about 50 or 60 new ones on hand, so if there is anyone in the U.S. that needs any, shoot me a message or email.. I can also help out my European brothers, but it may be cheaper to get them from a seller closer to avoid the shipping cost..

1 hour ago, Paul Boratko said:

Back when I was designing this model in the fall, I had no idea that the #3 orange connectors were going to be an issue.. When I checked bricklink back in like October/November, there were at least 150 sellers that had dozens of them, now there are under 80 sellers that have them.. Eric had told me that there was a kinetic sculpture that someone built and had instructions for that used over 70 of them..

I probably have about 50 or 60 new ones on hand, so if there is anyone in the U.S. that needs any, shoot me a message or email.. I can also help out my European brothers, but it may be cheaper to get them from a seller closer to avoid the shipping cost..

I had the same feeling when I started on my DB11, but maybe I shouldn't have started a WIP topic... Some people might have been stockpiling for that as well, since they are so obviously in sight...

With this spécifilc model, with a little imagination, most of the #3 orange connectors could be replaced by their black counterparts (which could be bought on S@H).

• the whole windshield could be done in black (like on some T-Top cars)
  • the whole top of the car could be done in black (like on some Ferraris, but more contrast should be added to the interior)
  • at the back the #3 connector above the wheel could be replaced by a black one, mimicking an air intake for the engine above the wheel
  • at the back of the front wheel, the #1 and #3 connectors could be replaced by black ones to mimick a brake cooling duct
  • at the front of the back wheel, the #3 connector and the adjacent piece could be done in black to mimick the same thing

To me, there's no problem with the orange #3 connector shortage, there's only solutions :-)