It's been a busy 2016 for me, but I managed to get a supercar completed.. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think that it is my best work that I've done so far..

It is based around the sequential 4 speed AWD chassis that I posted last month which has been redesigned for this new model..

I tried to come up with some new uses for the new panels from the 42056 Porsche..

Everything seems to work pretty flawlessly.. 

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=566867

scorpion099.jpg

scorpion080.jpg

scorpion090.jpg

scorpion086.jpg

scorpion084.jpg

scorpion088.jpg

scorpion081.jpg

scorpion082.jpg

scorpion091.jpg

scorpion300.jpg

scorpion301.jpg

scorpion302.jpg

scorpion303.jpg

Free instructions at ReBrickable.

It's my cup of tea. Looks like the lovechild of the Porsche and the Vampire. I want to hold it in my hands :cry_happy:

Very cool! I'm impressed how fast you can come up with such excellent bodywork! Looking forward to the video.

Wow, very impressive! Having a cup of hot tea right now .. My first thought was "where are the fender panels" *huh*?? Nice and creative alternative use - I interprete it as an ironic statement not to use them as fenders :thumbup: - IMO they have a too big radius among other things. Did you use the orange parts & black panels from 42056 only?

Indeed this is fascinating!!! That fender piece on the rear is just made for it! Perhaps the front lights are a bit too narrow, but that is just a minor observation ;-) I guess Mr. Alasdair will have to create a sub-topic in HOF just for your models :-)

Best regards,

Miha

Beautiful shape Paul, especially the rear end. Using flex axles instead of the new panels was a good idea, as it would have ended up looking too much like the Porsche.

Everything looks so clean Paul!! I love the complex panel work around the lights at the front end, and the rear use of the curved panels above the engine. This is the best use of the new panels in a supercar yet imo. Please post a video soon!! 

I think this is one of your best supercars yet. Really amazing work, I love how you achieved some of the angles and your use of the Porsche fender on the rear. Like Lipko said it looks like a great combo of the Porsche and the Vampire. The rear almost looks like a Carrera GT

Wow. *huh* What a beauty. That is one clean build. Easily the best car that you have done yet. The lines and curves are outstanding. I really love the way you used the wheel arches in the top of the rear and the front chin. I also like the side air intakes with the micro panels as fins and the gear indicators on each side of the engine. Are those stickers? Other than the orange color, I don't see the Porsche here at all. Two questions, are you planning on doing instructions and are there any super hard to get parts in it? Also looking forward to the video as I am interested in how you did the shifting mechanism because judging from your other thread with the chassis it looks like it works differently than other ones that I have seen.

Oh go on then, I'll be the first one to say I don't like the rectangular headlights ...

... but apart from that it's brilliant, the chassis you've been working hard on has been put to good use with the part-supercar, part-torpedo bodywork :devil:

Out of interest, how many frames went into the chassis? This supercar might even be stiffer than its real-life equivalents!

It looks incredible! I love the use of the fender on the rear, it fits perfectly. And the irony is great! :laugh: I also would like to request instructions, or a least LDD of the drivetrain.

I must say I am a bit on the fence with this one... I like the chassis with the sequential gearbox, but I am not sold on the bodywork. It has a lot of Vampire DNA, but sturdier. I don't know, but the bodywork feels a bit too easy. Stacked beams in the rear, stacked beams in the doors, quite square topview... It has tough appearance, but I prefer more curved lines I guess...

Still, great use of the fender panels :laugh:

3 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

I must say I am a bit on the fence with this one... I like the chassis with the sequential gearbox, but I am not sold on the bodywork. It has a lot of Vampire DNA, but sturdier. I don't know, but the bodywork feels a bit too easy. Stacked beams in the rear, stacked beams in the doors, quite square topview... It has tough appearance, but I prefer more curved lines I guess...

Still, great use of the fender panels :laugh:

You think the body design feels too easy..? Seriously..? The only area of this model that remotely has anything in common with my Vamp GT are angled panels in the front.. The entire rest of the car is completely different and is using parts that didn't even exist when I designed the Vamp in 2012.. As far as having 3 beams stacked in a few areas goes, would you say this is something that you never do on your models..? Like that Ferrari that you recently posted..?

6 hours ago, Meatman said:

Wow. *huh* What a beauty. That is one clean build. Easily the best car that you have done yet. The lines and curves are outstanding. I really love the way you used the wheel arches in the top of the rear and the front chin. I also like the side air intakes with the micro panels as fins and the gear indicators on each side of the engine. Are those stickers? Other than the orange color, I don't see the Porsche here at all. Two questions, are you planning on doing instructions and are there any super hard to get parts in it? Also looking forward to the video as I am interested in how you did the shifting mechanism because judging from your other thread with the chassis it looks like it works differently than other ones that I have seen.

I didn't use the rarest orange parts like bushings, 3L pin with bushing, or any 9L liftarms.. As far as instructions go, I honestly don't know.. I'll have to see if Eric is up for it..

39 minutes ago, Paul Boratko said:

You think the body design feels too easy..? Seriously..? The only area of this model that remotely has anything in common with my Vamp GT are angled panels in the front.. The entire rest of the car is completely different and is using parts that didn't even exist when I designed the Vamp in 2012.. As far as having 3 beams stacked in a few areas goes, would you say this is something that you never do on your models..? Like that Ferrari that you recently posted..?

I didn't use the rarest orange parts like bushings, 3L pin with bushing, or any 9L liftarms.. As far as instructions go, I honestly don't know.. I'll have to see if Eric is up for it..

Easy is not the right wording. And I definitely didn't mean to imply that you copied the Vampire bodywork to this car. The scale difference alone would prohibit this. But the angled panels in the front were such a striking feature on the Vampire that this association was easily made, hence the reference to that model.

The thing I don't like is the many square areas in this design, especially in the rear and the doors. Your other cars typically have more curves in these areas. At this scale you have a lot of room to play with, so why choose to fill it with straight surfaces?

I didn't mean to offend you. I still think it is a good car, but for me it lacks a wow-factor. Everyone it's own taste, right?

(and you're right, I did use stacked beams in my Ferrari for the flat areas in the bonnet and the hatch)

Those areas are flat because they are supposed to be flat as they are either connecting another curved panel or are transitioning towards one.... You also said it had "A lot" of Vampire GT DNA, so that is why I asked what other areas besides the angled panels in the front you were referring to.

You're right though, everyone has their own taste.. For example, there are a lot of build techniques that you and some other builders use that I would never do..

Wonderful job.  Love it.  Out of curiosity, you mention that you think it is your best, without the video there is much of the car that we don't know yet, but what makes it your best in your opinion?

Everyone has their opinion Paul. While your model isn't up to Jereon's standards or taste, I did get a wow when I opened this thread and I am sure many others did as well. You pulled off some nifty moves with these new parts that I hadn't seen before, in fact most of the mocs that I have seen that were using the new orange parts still mostly resembled the 42056 model. As far as all of this stacking beams talk for a 1/8 scaled car, I'll just leave this out there.  Your rear end is much sexier. :laugh:

screen-shot-2016-06-08-at-19-09-40.png

scorpion101.jpg

A Little comparison. I think your new Scorpion model has more of a Japanese Supercar look to it compared to the Vampire gt. Looking forward to the video.:classic:

crowkillers-1.jpg

scorpion100.jpg

Edited by Meatman

I actually prefer models that are more "in system" than models with funky angles but flimsy connections. This looks much more mature than the Vampire (sorry about the comparison again. Many builders, even a few and very popular of the other "masters" reuse their ideas much-more, even to a point that IMHO makes many of their models feel easily designed and redundant. I never felt this with your models).

The comment about the stacked beam was a bit strange, since we are talking about 3-4 beams and done is a neat way (no stepped edges, no stone-wall feeling).

The roof is lovely, overall the proportions are very good.

Interesting discussion. The 42056 set is a game changer in many aspects, regardless of all the issues of that model. I´ve discovered that working with the Porsche panels / orange parts is very challenging because their use is pretty much predetermined. Creating so called "crazy angles" has its very limits. Therefore I have big respect before the Porsche designers in these matters and that´s why I think the achieved result in this MOC here is very good. It has to be really solid because of the big scale and it feels sturdy to the max. Anyway I like the "old" style supercars way more. Hopefully the variations of panels will grow in other colours too.

Amazing! The back looks very sexy. Has some bit of the looks from the vampire. The first moc I've actually seen with the Porsche panels so far.