Sign in to follow this  
dmaclego

SU-85 Soviet tank destroyer

Good evening. This is my first post here in Special LEGO Themes; so far I appeared only in Star Wars department, so... hello everyone!

To be honest, I wanted - finally, after so many unsuccesful attempts! - to build an early 76 mm turret (model 1940) for my T-34 tanks family but I failed again and then found some consolation building this - a tank destroyer / self-propelled gun SU-85, also based on the famous T-34 chassis. It happened very quickly (by my standards, anyway ;) ) - in just 5 or 6 evenings and virtually zero Bricklink orders. I'm pleased with the gun mantlet and general proportions of the model. Not so pleased with gap between glacis and side walls.

And that's it, I guess. Please take a look at the photos. Comments welcome!

P.S. I did not bother building ground plates just for this model - what you see in the last picture are modular plates I created for my ongoing Endor Project. False perspective rules ;) .

30283073614_72a3b29abd_c.jpgSU-85 - left front by Maciej Szymański, on Flickr

30616355580_1ccef521f0_c.jpgSU-85 - right front by Maciej Szymański, on Flickr

30283072954_588b9dfe9d_c.jpgSU-85 - top view by Maciej Szymański, on Flickr

30616356080_0aac8b1191_c.jpgSU-85 - on the battlefield by Maciej Szymański, on Flickr

Very nice build!

What's holding on the extra tread pieces though, I don't recognize the piece holding them.

Thank you very much, guys.

41 minutes ago, Mesabi said:

What's holding on the extra tread pieces though

They are skewered with parts 4593 (Lever small) to grill tiles hidden below. Also, the same part connects lower strip of spare chain links with the upper one.