31 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

I'm not sure how many people are waiting expectantly for the instructions to be available, but I wanted to report that we are making excellent progress.  I'd say we are 80%+ done.  Didumos is being very fastidious in getting all the details right (as expected), so I think people will be pleased with the results: both the model and the instructions.  After I build my copy, I'll be sure to post my thoughts as well.

I do and glad to hear these good news. Thank you guys in advance.

13 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I'm not sure how many people are waiting expectantly for the instructions to be available, but I wanted to report that we are making excellent progress.  I'd say we are 80%+ done.  Didumos is being very fastidious in getting all the details right (as expected), so I think people will be pleased with the results: both the model and the instructions.  After I build my copy, I'll be sure to post my thoughts as well.

Thank you @Blakbird! Your determinedness in this process is much appreciated!

Let me add my voice to the chorus eagerly awaiting the instructions!

Honestly, I don't usually get that excited about supercars.  Not because I don't admire the clear engineering skill and artistry that goes into them - I do.  Perhaps because supercars are such a popular theme that it becomes hard for me to distinguish them all.

In any case, I have no such issue with this one!  It's clearly a masterpiece in every way.  Very much looking forward to the opportunity to build it...

While testing the instructions I finally took the time to incorporate the return-to-center for the shifter in my own build. Here is a video of the final chassis:

Edited by Didumos69

Here is the final photo shoot (larger images can be found here):

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg
Edited by Didumos69

All the technical features, the engineering behind, the robustness, the look, packed together in this MOC, predestinate it to be part of the imaginary Lego Technic History book. :thumbup:

Looks awesome, everything really turned out amazing on this car! I'll admit I was sceptical about a paneless build but I am very taken back, you created wonderful shapes and curves and brought new meaning to robust build. Wonderfully done  :thumbup: :wink:

24 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

Again, hats off for this interesting project with such an amazing result! 

Ditto! Excellent photos as well. Looking forward to your next build :cry_happy:

Not often I have the feeling I want to build others' MOCs, but this is one of those occasions.

Edit: your PRO tag is missing.

Edited by Lipko

@IA creations, @agrof, @HorcikDesigns, @DugaldIC, @brunojj1, @Lox Lego, @Lipko, thank you guys for the kind words! I wanted to shoot the final video too, but my camera gave up on me. And thanks again to those who helped me and pushed me in the right direction on several occasions. I hope you will all be able to build or get to see and 'feel' a real life instance someday!

EDIT: I added some chassis-only photos to the final photo shoot bricksafe folder.

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

I hope you will all be able to build or get to see and 'feel' a real life instance someday!

As soon as the instructions are done:thumbup:. Btw , can i use tumbler tires ? I don't have porsche/42000 tires.

Edited by IA creations

8 hours ago, IA creations said:

Btw , can i use tumbler tires ? I don't have porsche/42000 tires.

No, the tumbler tires won't fit. The suspension relies on the diameter and the deep offset of the Porsche rims. It could be tweaked to fit the Unimog rims with race tires, but they would sit rediculously far outside the body and look way too small.

Edited by Didumos69

Instructions are available on Rebrickable. There is a full-featured version called 'Rugged supercar' and a chassis-only version called 'Flat AWD chassis'. The chassis-only version confines itself to part 1 of the instructions of the full-featured version. Special thanks to @Blakbird and @BusterHaus - with Blakbird being the driving force - for taking on the task of making these beautiful instructions! Making instructions for a build like this is a tremendous amount of work. Even more so, given the fact that I have been very demanding in sticking to my original design.

- 32005a (Link 1 x 6 without Stoppers) - used for the anti-roll bars and steering tie rods - is preferred over 32005b (Link 1 x 6 with Stoppers), because each link has tow-balls inserted from both sides. 32005b can be used too, but in that case each link will have one tow-ball that needs quite some force to insert.
- 32056 (Liftarm 3 x 3 L-Shape Thin) - used for the door locks - is preferred over 32249 (Liftarm 3 x 3 L-Shape with Quarter Ellipse Thin). 32249 can be used too, but makes it more likely to accidentally lock the door while it's open, which is not a big deal of course.
- 76138 (Shock Absorber 6.5L with Soft Spring) - used for the door locks - should be soft springs. They are quite rare in red, but you could also use two LBG soft springs.
- 85543 (Rubber Belt Small (Round Cross Section) - used for the 90 degree limiter and the return-to-center of the gear shifter - should be relatively new, say max 2 years. Not that they wear out quickly, but the older ones are slightly less tight.

Images of the full-featured version can be found here. Images of the chassis-only version can be found here. LXF-file of the full-featured version (with placeholders for the Porsche wheel hubs!) can be found here. LXF-file of the chassis-only version (with placeholders for the Porsche wheel hubs!) can be found here.

Edited by Didumos69

- emptied duplicate post after merge -

Edited by Didumos69

I'm very happy to see the instructions released.  @Blakbird did a tremendous amount of work after taking them over.  The process turned out to be much more collaborative that anyone involved expected.  @Didumos69 reviewed all the iterations of the instructions to make sure that the car could be built and that the instructions were clear.  I ended up contributing stepped submodels to help out @Blakbird - his main focus was the stepping and LPub layout.

A couple of things that I learned during this project:

• @SylvainLS maintains a more up-to-date ldraw.xml file that does a much better job of converting models from LDD to LDR than the one stock one.
  • Submodels should be built aligned with the main grid for a consistent look and rotated on the main model.  LDCad can be used in a way that doesn't take that into consideration, but aligning submodels is the more logical way.
  • I'm now a big fan of callouts, even for single parts, as they show you exactly where the part should go on a complicated model.  They can often be used instead of buffer exchanges.

If you get the chance to build this model please consider making a donation to Technicopedia, we are attempting to double the lifetime donations (4) that it has received so far.

Glad to see these instructions in the hands of the public so everyone gets a chance to build this great car.  I can't deny that a big part of the reason I volunteered to help with this project was selfish:  I wanted to build it!  I was not disappointed.  I've built a LOT of Technic supercars and I can easily say this is one of my favorite.  I think I can safely say it has the smoothest gear system I've ever seen.  The durability is also really impressive.  There won't be any parts falling off when you handle this model.

Been following this for a while, It has all the features the Porsche should have had (especially that luggage bag ;) ). I really think the official TLG Technic team could learn a lot from this build.

I just had a look at the instructions, and can't wait to start building this beauty. I like that you have supplied instructions for the chassis on their own. I wonder what supercars would fit it's wheelbase if you were to just build the chassis.

Also, I noticed a linear clutch beneath the rear differential (Step 47). Does this mean its some form of limited slip mechanism for the center diff?

19 minutes ago, marcusparcus said:

Been following this for a while, It has all the features the Porsche should have had (especially that luggage bag ;) ). I really think the official TLG Technic team could learn a lot from this build.

I just had a look at the instructions, and can't wait to start building this beauty. I like that you have supplied instructions for the chassis on their own. I wonder what supercars would fit it's wheelbase if you were to just build the chassis.

Also, I noticed a linear clutch beneath the rear differential (Step 47). Does this mean its some form of limited slip mechanism for the center diff?

Thanks! The chassis dimensions are quite common I think. It's the same as @Paul Boratko's Scorpion.

There are indeed two linear clutches, one at each end of the central differential. They serve to protect all gears in case the gearbox halts while pushing the car around, but the gearbox doesn't halt, so it's a bit superfluous. It's more of a good practice to incorporate such a protection.