20 hours ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Oh... so i need not only a Porsche for wheels and hubs)

Sorry, don't have any spare Porsches laying around :wink:. I remembered you mentioning you don't have this center diff, on several occasions.

9 hours ago, Dafgek81 said:

WOW ? that's one rugged supercar

Thanks!

14 hours ago, Meatman said:

Awesome. I like how this turned out. It has a cool dune buggy racer vibe going on. Sad to hear that the suspension didn't work without the torsion bars. It's not so much the axle that I was concerned with as much as the parts that the axle is inserted into possibly cracking over time.

Thanks! Yeah, without torsion bars would have been nice. At least the hard springs now really add something so the torsion bars and the parts securing them are not stressed much just by the weight of the car. This was the case with the soft springs.

Edited by Didumos69

Quite some people - @Jeroen Ottens, @drakmin, @brunojj1, @Appie - have suggested to change the colors of the seats to make the interior pop-out a little more. So I made some renders with blue, dbg, white and yellow seats. I think the blue one pops out quite nicely. But then again, the DBG one would be a nice reference to Nathanael Kuipers Concept Car - imo the most inspiring Technic car ever. I didn't change the color of the dash because it disturbs the straight-cut black-red division of the body too much.

What is your favorite?

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Blue and DBG for me!

They both look balanced with the model and they both make sense "historically" (original  technic set seat colour & Kuipers car as inspiration)

If this was my own design I still might use tan seats to represent leather. If I've understood your design philosophy correctly then then the leather is no option here :D Anyway here's a quick photoshopped leather version, hope you don't mind :) (not sure if the parts even exist in tan)

Thanks for entertaining thread!

rdp2Nmj.jpg

Edited by drakmin

hello.

for me black ones are ok. Just need a thin line of colour in it . Maybe red as the car.

I like the blue seats because they match the blue friction pins.

By the way, I started mucking around with the LXF file.  The conversion to LDR isn't perfect, there are some parts that are in the wrong position and/or orientation (edit: there are parts missing as well).  Most of it is pretty easy to fix.  I am in the process of making instructions for the front suspension.  It's one of the most dense components on this build so it may not have been the best subassembly to begin with, but I have now developed a fairly reliable workflow.

I'm guessing the chassis design is locked down, so I'll focus my efforts on that.  I had a question about 3L friction pin color: a lot of them are black, even though they are hidden. Is there a reason for this?  Do you care about the pin coloring?

Edited by BusterHaus

16 minutes ago, Appie said:

I'd say blue with white centre instead of lbg.

Yes, or the other way around. I really like the white, but a blue centre contrasts more nicely than the lbg in the above picture, I think...

1 hour ago, drakmin said:

Blue and DBG for me!

They both look balanced with the model and they both make sense "historically" (original  technic set seat colour & Kuipers car as inspiration)

If this was my own design I still might use tan seats to represent leather. If I've understood your design philosophy correctly then then the leather is no option here :D Anyway here's a quick photoshopped leather version, hope you don't mind :) (not sure if the parts even exist in tan)

Thanks for entertaining thread!

I can only agree with Drakmin, an earthlike colour is for me the right balance for this car. White, yellow and blue (to a bit lesser extent) pop too much for my taste, DBG is not enough colour for me.

And I am still interested in seeing a black door, especially with coloured seats... :wink:

I would choose some gentle color, which is present, but not pushy visually - thus the focus remains on the car body. My vote goes for LBG or TAN.

I really like this car. For some reason it has a Lotus kind of feel for me. Don't know why. I really like the red-and-black color scheme. Much better than the all-black from a few pages back. The lines are so much more visible here in red.

About seats, I wouldn't do a bright color like yellow or white. Orange, not sure either. Blue looks better. I think light gray or dark gray would be the best options.

No for the yellow or white. The blue looks alright and mirrors so many LEGO designs, which is a benefit to me. The DBG or LBG option would be great too. Especially if you go with one, and use the other as an accent color.

Wow, thank you all for thinking with me!

You have convinced me that I should go with a color that doesn't stand out too much, so white and yellow are no go's. I'm still thinking of building a second 8880-colored version later and will leave the white seats for that one.

I''m also sensitive to the 'earthy'-argument, but somehow tan colors are not my favorite. Although I agree that tan matches a leather-look, it feels like aged and worn out or rusty plastic to me. So that's no option either. I like the suggestion of combining blue with white, but in the bottom half of the seat there are bushes, gears and special parts (for the adjustment mechanism) that are only available in bluisch gray.

Final argument that I'm sensitive to is that I should use a color that's already present. So altogther that leaves me with two options: DBG/LBG or blue/LBG (blue is indeed already present by means of blue pins). I have a slight preference for DBG/LBG, but I don't want to uncheck the blue option completely.

@BusterHaus, what a great initiative. I did update the chassis yesterday; I made the LXF reflect the changes I made to the suspension and a few other changes I made during building last week. Here is the latest LXF-file. It also includes some changes to the way the bottom of the rear window and spoiler are mounted. Last weekend we had friends over and when they grabbed the car by the spoiler, the entire spoiler and rear window came off. So now you can also "grab 'm by the spoiler" :wink:. If you are serious about putting effort into instructions I guess we are going to have to exchange some information. To build the entire chassis for instance, it is required to start with the mid-section - the shifter and the gearbox - and work your way to the front and rear modules. About the black 3L pins. In the chassis these can be replaced with blue ones, except for the ones in the dashboard and the seats. I also included these changes in the latest LXF.

@Jeroen Ottens, here is a version with black doors (and fully LBG seats). I'm afraid I like the red doors with a black top line more. Now that I look again I don't know; the black doors seem to melt together with the rest of the black top. I need some time to decide on this.

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

So, to be clear, these are the two options I will eventually choose from:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Maybe i just don't like blue... Maybe blue looks somewhat wrong with red. LBG/DBG version looks better, as i think. Blue seats will fit perfectly, if bodywork was white/LBG. So many possibilites, but final decision is only yours)

Okay, decision time.

• Even though I like the suggestion of @Jeroen Ottens to make the doors black - it makes them blend with the rest of the cabin and emphasizes the red curves running from head to tail - I decided to stick to the sharp red/black division. I like the inclined plane drawn by this division and it adds to the appearance of the whole build. Black doors add too much to the buggy-vibe and even though I like the buggy-vibe, I want this to be a supercar in the first place.
  • I decided to go for the DBG/LBG seats. They stand out, but not too much and come the most close to something 'earthy' without being tan (I don't like tan). The bluish gray seats are also a nice reference to Nathanael Kuipers concept car, a car that serves a s a great source of inspiration to me. Blue seats would also have been 'historically right' (e.g. 8865 and many other models), but appear slightly to toyish to me (I like to think this build is not a toy :wink:).
  • With the presence of DBG/LBG in the seats I also decided to revert to the DBG H-logos in the grill and the trunk door.

Another thing I've been working on: the spoiler (or rear wing if you wish). It was said - by @Lipko and others - it would nice if the spoiler would curve around the body more. This time I took a good look at 8880 - consciously - and this is what I intend to do. I deliberately avoided the use of the expensive red #3 connector. Please let me know what you think.

This is how it was:

800x450.jpg

And this is what I intend to do:

800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Although I personally liked the blue / white seats, I understand your choice for DBG / LBG for your model. The spoiler shape is much better now, but in my opinion it should be lifted a little to stand out from the body a little more (not too much, just subtle).

(I am still trying to figure out a way to build it in orange, despite the fact that some of the parts you used or not available in orange...)

40 minutes ago, brickhank said:

Although I personally liked the blue / white seats, I understand your choice for DBG / LBG for your model. The spoiler shape is much better now, but in my opinion it should be lifted a little to stand out from the body a little more (not too much, just subtle).

(I am still trying to figure out a way to build it in orange, despite the fact that some of the parts you used or not available in orange...)

I think you're right. How about this:

960x540.jpg960x540.jpg

33 minutes ago, LvdH said:

With the rerelease of the #3 connectors, I think it's not a problem to use them. But if you're making those #3 connectors black, I would make the entire spoiler black because it stands out too much. (Though you'd need some black bushes which are quite expensive).

Okay, didn't know they were rereleased. I think I'll make them red.