3 hours ago, legolijntje said:

I hope those wheels are just a substitute for other wheels that aren't in LDD? :look:

Other than that, looks great with all those sharp angles! :classic:

Thanks! The wheels and tires are definitely substitutes!

3 hours ago, zux said:

If you are looking for much smaller headlights, similar to those Alfa Romeo has, you might want to consider these printed tiles.

Thanks for the suggestion:thumbup:! When used like in the image below it definitely gives me the 'piercing eye'-effect that I'm pursuing. Might even work without the print. What do you think? (Also addressed to @Rishab N, and of course anyone else who feels the urge to give his/her opinion.)

960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I would use transparent ones, and maybe a mixture can work well too. Some variants to inspire:

lamps.jpg

I find the hood a bit disturbing as it is too slotted, only two beams next to each other would give enough contour on both sides, and would serve a cleaner look.

I mean by that, if You follow the thickness of the cabin area (2 studs) in red, the whole picture will be more unified.

Maybe sober usage of these panels could work, to play a bit with design and soften the hard lines:

4541926.jpgand 6022750.jpg

Edited by agrof

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks for the suggestion:thumbup:! When used like in the image below it definitely gives me the 'piercing eye'-effect that I'm pursuing. Might even work without the print. What do you think? (Also addressed to @Rishab N, and of course anyone else who feels the urge to give his/her opinion.)

The piercing eyes of the Alfa are mostly created through the slanted line above the eyes (an exagerated version of this effect can be seen in the angry birds characters. Try to imagine the black line above the eyes of angry birds not being there to see what I mean). Panels are ideal for adding such a 'brow' above the headlights (see 8070 for example), but since you like to stay panelless you'll have to come up with your own solution:tongue: (maybe a thin liftarm can do the trick as well).

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I'd place headlights much closer to each other and move a bit to sides thus making grill wider.

Something like (there's also the "eyebrow" Jeroen mentions above):

31954729915_c6bd06c303_n.jpg 

Edited by zux

1 hour ago, agrof said:

I would use transparent ones, and maybe a mixture can work well too. Some variants to inspire:

I find the hood a bit disturbing as it is too slotted, only two beams next to each other would give enough contour on both sides, and would serve a cleaner look.

I mean by that, if You follow the thickness of the cabin area (2 studs) in red, the whole picture will be more unified.

Maybe sober usage of these panels could work, to play a bit with design and soften the hard lines:

40 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

The piercing eyes of the Alfa are mostly created through the slanted line above the eyes (an exagerated version of this effect can be seen in the angry birds characters. Try to imagine the black line above the eyes of angry birds not being there to see what I mean). Panels are ideal for adding such a 'brow' above the headlights (see 8070 for example), but since you like to stay panelless you'll have to come up with your own solution:tongue: (maybe a thin liftarm can do the trick as well).

38 minutes ago, zux said:

I'd place headlights much closer to each other and move a bit to sides thus making grill wider.

Something like (there's also the "eyebrow" Jeroen mentions above):

This is all very useful feedback guys, thanks a lot :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:! It is tempting to use panels here. If there would be a single panel that I would use it is the small panel @agrof is referring to and @zux is using in his RSW. But I will first try without. What I'm thinking about doing is attaching the headlights to the backside of the bumper. That would lower them by half a stud and creates space to have the hood come one stud more forward ans serve as 'eyebrow'. If that doesn't work I could use the same space to use the small 'sober' panels. The suggestion to make the hood less slotted and more in line with the rest of the body is also a very good one :thumbup:. And I will indeed use transparent tiles for the headlights, but when placed on top of a black part they turn black too in my renders, so in my renders I will use non-transparent ones.

20 minutes ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

Coming along nicely @Didumos69 !! 

Thanks!

Edited by Didumos69

This is what should do it for now. It's simple and catches the essence of what I had in mind. This way I could bring the hood over the headlights. I used 4 red 4L axles. I checked bricklink and they are quite cheap. I also tried lowering the headlight, but that looked aweful. And I tried with headlights closer to eachother, like in @zux RSW, but that is too small for this scale. I also reduced the number of holes in the hood and widened the big hole in the middle. That hole is now in line with the hole in the roof. Could not make it from paired liftarms - as was suggested by @agrof - because of the way the hood is fixed at both ends. But I do think it's better this way.

960x540.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

I don't have much criticism about the body - in fact, I looked it over during my lunch break today and it's very admirable. It looks very strong and I like that everything has legal connections. It even inspired me to play around in LDCad, checking if a similar building style could be done with connectors and axles.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing the progress. 

10 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

I don't have much criticism about the body - in fact, I looked it over during my lunch break today and it's very admirable. It looks very strong and I like that everything has legal connections. It even inspired me to play around in LDCad, checking if a similar building style could be done with connectors and axles.

Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing the progress. 

Thank you BusterHaus! And could you? Axle connectors make angles running from 90 degree to 180 degree with 22.5 degree steps, so you should be able to make something out of it. Of course roll cages made from axle connectors are nice too - we see them a lot - but they rely on friction (the connectors can slide off the axles). For this 'rugged' model I wanted to do something more solid.

Btw, here are two more renders (click to enlarge). One showing a close-up of the headlights and one showing the model next to @Lipko's Simple(!) Supercar. Just to get an idea of the size, I wouldn't want to claim my build can level with such a great MOC. About the headlights, there is quite a gap underneath them. I could fill it with black parts, but given the minimalistic character of the rest of the body, I decided not to. Capturing the essential lines only, is my motto for this body.

960x450.jpg960x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

Thank you BusterHaus! And could you? Axle connectors make angles running from 90 degree to 180 degree with 22.5 degree steps, so you should be able to make something out of it. Of course roll cages made from axle connectors are nice too - we see them a lot - but they rely on friction (the connectors can slide off the axles). For this 'rugged' model I wanted to do something more solid. 

It's a work in progress - I get the feeling that it will be difficult to make it less than 3L wide/thick and strong, whereas yours does the same thing with two beams stacked together.  I'm a fan of efficiency, so the connector approach doesn't look great (for now).  I'll keep plugging away at it.  

The other issue I noticed is that the angles of the Pythagoras triangle integers don't correspond to the connector angles.  There are some close ones, but if I don't want stressed parts or axles partially inserted into connectors, the build has a non-integer width.  I'd love to solve this problem using only connectors, but I think beams are unavoidable.

Edited by BusterHaus

Thanks for the praise but don't be so humble! You design better chassis than I, you had more innovations in Technic in the last year than I ever had since I build.

To make some critique, you say minimalistic, yet there are some cluttered/overbuilt areas in the build. I agree with Agrof that the small panels could be put to good use here. You seem to avoid them at all costs (for example the part above the headlights). Maybe you could also try to make the hood more elegant by rotating the beams (and have only 2L thick construction) horizontally. I think you can work the math out to fit it perfectly to the system :wink:

Looks good so far, I'm not 100% sold on the minimal body, I would recommend placing a 1x7 red beam under the headlights.

5 hours ago, Lipko said:

Thanks for the praise but don't be so humble! You design better chassis than I, you had more innovations in Technic in the last year than I ever had since I build.

To make some critique, you say minimalistic, yet there are some cluttered/overbuilt areas in the build. I agree with Agrof that the small panels could be put to good use here. You seem to avoid them at all costs (for example the part above the headlights). Maybe you could also try to make the hood more elegant by rotating the beams (and have only 2L thick construction) horizontally. I think you can work the math out to fit it perfectly to the system :wink:

That's too big a compliment, but thanks, I appreciate it :blush:. I will try rotating those beams. Maybe that will also create some other opportunities for the headlights. Btw, not using panels is not a goal in itself. It's more important to create a consistent whole, so when they add something, especially the small ones, I will use them.

21 minutes ago, JJ2 said:

Looks good so far, I'm not 100% sold on the minimal body, I would recommend placing a 1x7 red beam under the headlights.

I tried that, but it disturbs the eyebrow / angry eye look. It does work in black though. I might reintroduce that while redoing the hood. Yet again :sceptic:....

Wonder if the design of the front "Grill" can affect how the lights look... those LBG parts in front looks rather strange to me :grin: have you tried thinner and darker materials (e.g. axles)? Also, for more "piercing" look you could consider a sharper nose with lights slanting back more prominently?

PS. I do create hideous models :tongue: so don't take me seriously if my suggestions don't sound right... LOL.

Edited by PorkyMonster

9 hours ago, PorkyMonster said:

Wonder if the design of the front "Grill" can affect how the lights look... those LBG parts in front looks rather strange to me :grin: have you tried thinner and darker materials (e.g. axles)? Also, for more "piercing" look you could consider a sharper nose with lights slanting back more prominently?

PS. I do create hideous models :tongue: so don't take me seriously if my suggestions don't sound right... LOL.

Thanks for the suggestions. About the grill, two of those DBG(!) parts in the grill are in fact 15L liftarms running through the entire front module and the hood is connected to the chassis via the grill. I won't give up on those :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

I have finally gotten the time to really sit and look at this WIP (Saturday morning yea!) - Must say, still have a lot of reading and examining to do but this project looks terrific.  The mechanics are second to none and the body-work and looks are coming along nicely.  The tires are a new concept (multiple motorcycle tires) and IMO fit the project nicely.  Doing a very fine job here and appreciate the nice entertainment value this post brings on a cold Saturday morning! 

Eager for more f/u on this one......

On 6-1-2017 at 10:49 AM, Didumos69 said:

Btw, here are two more renders (click to enlarge). One showing a close-up of the headlights and one showing the model next to @Lipko's Simple(!) Supercar.

Can you make one next to your Steppenwolf? I'm curious to see them next to each other :classic:

On 1/7/2017 at 1:50 PM, nerdsforprez said:

I have finally gotten the time to really sit and look at this WIP (Saturday morning yea!) - Must say, still have a lot of reading and examining to do but this project looks terrific.  The mechanics are second to none and the body-work and looks are coming along nicely.  The tires are a new concept (multiple motorcycle tires) and IMO fit the project nicely.  Doing a very fine job here and appreciate the nice entertainment value this post brings on a cold Saturday morning! 

Eager for more f/u on this one......

Thanks! Actually the tires are only a placeholder for he Porsche tires, but I would be curious to see how 3 of these tires wrapped around a Porsche rim would work out.

On 1/7/2017 at 4:55 PM, Ludo Visser said:

Can you make one next to your Steppenwolf? I'm curious to see them next to each other :classic:

Yes, I can. There are some recognizable aspects :wink:.

960x270.jpg?a=1

I redid the hood once again :wink:. I took most of the comments into account:

• I extended the bumper and moved it two studs more forward. This actually matches the vehicles proportions better.
  • I made a sharper nose with lights slanting back more prominently as was suggested by @PorkyMonster .
  • I widened the grill and used smaller lights as was suggested earlier by @zux.
  • I used paired liftarms - decorated with a small panel - to draw the main lines of the hood as was suggested by @agrof and by @Lipko.
  • I used small panels to get the 'piercing eye'-look as was - among others - suggested by @Jeroen Ottens.

The wide wing-like front also gave me an idea for a name: Hammerhead (HH) :wink:, hence the HH logo in the grill :wink:. Not completely sure about that one though.

I'm very curious what you guys think of this.

960x450.jpg960x450.jpg960x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

Thant's coming along pretty well. Too bad that the windshield can't be made fully red. The front grille needs some work, but overall it's getting a really nice concept car look. Will it have doors? It looks good even without the4m, but maybe you can figure out something cool. Maybe just a single beam (I've seen concept cars with that kind of doors)?

I like the new design a lot, as far I see, only fine tuning: could You get rid off the axles in the hood, does it influence the overall stability? I don't think they are needed optically.

The HH logo is a very good idea in my opinion, give a try to split the vertical lines by half beams (black-outside / DBG-inside combo).

The lack of the doors is especially a thing, what I like here, but a minimalistic one - as Lipko mentioned - would be also an option.

Maybe one suggestion left from my side: the area in front of the rear wheels could be cleaned up somehow: less parts, smoother beam surfaces (less visible holes). What if You just connect the inner beams with a 7M beam from the outside (just behind/beside the seats)? EDIT: or make that line or the rear one closer to the wheels in black?

Edited by agrof

What an awesome project. I love that it's build "in system"

I support the idea of single-beam doors. For the lbg axles in the hood: how about replacing them with some kind of "art" out of different colored 2L axle connectors?

Did you post some renderings of the back of the car?

I think this is very nice already. Not sure about viewing from other angles though :laugh:.

PS. Oops, I just noticed the side mirrors... they spoil the image of a supercar... although they might fit the "rugged" part... :tongue:

Edited by PorkyMonster
Added PS.

15 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

What an awesome project. I love that it's build "in system"

I support the idea of single-beam doors. For the lbg axles in the hood: how about replacing them with some kind of "art" out of different colored 2L axle connectors?

Did you post some renderings of the back of the car?

I do, but it's nowhere near finished... I will drop the axles in the hood. Artwork is a nice suggestion, but I think I'll leave it open.

960x540.jpg

18 hours ago, Lipko said:

Thant's coming along pretty well. Too bad that the windshield can't be made fully red. The front grille needs some work, but overall it's getting a really nice concept car look. Will it have doors? It looks good even without the4m, but maybe you can figure out something cool. Maybe just a single beam (I've seen concept cars with that kind of doors)?

18 hours ago, agrof said:

I like the new design a lot, as far I see, only fine tuning: could You get rid off the axles in the hood, does it influence the overall stability? I don't think they are needed optically.

The HH logo is a very good idea in my opinion, give a try to split the vertical lines by half beams (black-outside / DBG-inside combo).

The lack of the doors is especially a thing, what I like here, but a minimalistic one - as Lipko mentioned - would be also an option.

Maybe one suggestion left from my side: the area in front of the rear wheels could be cleaned up somehow: less parts, smoother beam surfaces (less visible holes). What if You just connect the inner beams with a 7M beam from the outside (just behind/beside the seats)? EDIT: or make that line or the rear one closer to the wheels in black?

Thank you guys. I'm still working on the grill. I don't like it being slanted this much. The front looks like a giant underbite right now. And I will reduce the logo to a single H. I do have ideas for doors. I was thinking of butterfly-doors, but it has to fit the minimal look - concept-car is the right term I guess. A simple (lockable) beam would also make a great minimal door:thumbup:. But after the front I will first do the rear.

EDIT: About the area in front of the wheels, just behind the grill. This is where everything is tied together, hood, chassis, beams carrying the headlights, in a very small space. I'm afraid I won't be able to make this more simple.

32 minutes ago, Lox Lego said:

I absolutely love what you did with the front head lights. Well done :wub:

Thanks!

Edited by Didumos69