Return-to-center iteration 3

In my last post about the return-to-center mechanism for the shift lever I showed a symmetric implementation. However, after some playing around with it, I still wasn't satisfied. The main issue that I found, was that the rear pusher bumps into the 3x5 L-beam just behind it, a little too early. The actual shift is only just about to be completed at that point. So I gave this a third iteration which resulted in a setup that I'm completely happy with. For the rear pusher I reverted to the half bush instead of the 44.t1.png part and also re-established the beam at the end of the 5.5L axle with end-stop, which slightly lengthens that axle. Instead of using the 1L beam, I now use a 2L beam that hangs on to the drive axle running to the front axles, so it can't go anywhere. This setup brings the rear pusher 1/5th of a stud more forward and allows for a perfectly complete shift. Btw, this video has not been edited :classic:.

Some people may think of me as a perfectionist. It is true that I have been in pursuit of a symmetric approach to the return to center setup, but now that I completely understand why it behaves as it does, I can perfectly live with a non-symmetric setup. I see myself more as someone with an irrepressible urge to understand why things behave the way they do :wink:.

Edited by Didumos69

1 hour ago, BusterHaus said:

I did a render test:

Great! Finally some renders with the Porsche tires on! Thanks!

I decided to finally make some renders.  I hope I used the most current file.  You can get much larger versions at my Bricksafe.

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

revolve.gif

Wow, thank you very much @Blakbird ! I especially like the drivers view, including rear view mirror :thumbup:. The outside corresponds with the latest version, that's for sure. Great job!

Edited by Didumos69

I am just starting to collect parts for this.  Does it really use 36 black bushings?  That's going to a big problem for people to acquire.  Are all of them necessary?

I see some used in the sideskirts. Perhaps the black 1L liftarm would fit as well (perhaps even look better). Which is a part available in black since this year (or last year) and less of a problem to acquire? 

57 minutes ago, Appie said:

I see some used in the sideskirts. Perhaps the black 1L liftarm would fit as well (perhaps even look better). Which is a part available in black since this year (or last year) and less of a problem to acquire? 

That's a pretty good idea.  I think a lot of them could be replaced with 1L liftarms very easily.  The majority seem to just be used as spacers to put black into gaps between other parts.

1 hour ago, Appie said:

Good notice. :classic::thumbup: For example, 11 pieces are used in 42062 Set http://rebrickable.com/sets/42062-1/container-yard/ .

What, No Flex Axles?

Seriously though, beautiful piece. Are instructions and a parts list available? ... No 'patience' to go through 18 pages of posts :)

Edited by DrJB

1 hour ago, DrJB said:

Seriously though, beautiful piece. Are instructions and a parts list available? ... No 'patience' to go through 18 pages of posts :)

Not yet.

I must apologize, progress on the instructions is slow due to lack of time.  Here are my impressions so far:

• The build is not really modular, but there are quite a few smaller sections that can be built outside of the model.
  • Because the build is not modular, the building is done starting from the inside and going outside, often changing directions.  You may work on the front end, then the rear, and back to the front.  There is no avoiding this sequencing.
  • The build is much more complex than an official Lego set.  There are a few operations that are challenging to show as instructions.
  • Showing the addition of small parts (and submodels) on a large model is easiest done with callouts.  Buffer exchanges would also work.
  • Because many pages feature callouts, the model has a LOT of submodels.  I try to stick to a naming convention (item_location).

Here is the latest LDR file with LPub3D commands.  It's very dirty - it has sequencing errors and missing parts.  The body is mostly sequenced, but is missing view rotations, callouts and stepping for subassemblies.

And here is the latest PDF of the instructions.  380 pages, 256 megabytes.  It should give you an idea of how the final product should look like.

By the way, if any of you are in a rush and wish to complete this project faster, please let me know.  I am enjoying the challenge of making these instructions, but I am not opposed to handing the project over if it means that we get the instructions done sooner.  Otherwise please be patient.

@Blakbird Many of the black bushes can be substituted by 1L beams, or red bushes if friction is required.

4 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

Here is the latest LDR file with LPub3D commands.  It's very dirty - it has sequencing errors and missing parts.  The body is mostly sequenced, but is missing view rotations, callouts and stepping for subassemblies.

Do you happen to have a full parts list available?

17 hours ago, Blakbird said:

I am just starting to collect parts for this.  Does it really use 36 black bushings?  That's going to a big problem for people to acquire.  Are all of them necessary?

15 hours ago, Appie said:

14 hours ago, Blakbird said:

That's a pretty good idea.  I think a lot of them could be replaced with 1L liftarms very easily.  The majority seem to just be used as spacers to put black into gaps between other parts.

14 hours ago, ifilin said:

Good notice. :classic::thumbup: For example, 11 pieces are used in 42062 Set http://rebrickable.com/sets/42062-1/container-yard/ .

3 hours ago, davebarrett said:

I counted 34 black bushings in my latest LXF-file. 8 could be replaced with LBG bushings, 1 could be replaced with a black perpendicular axle-pin connector, 2 could be replaced with black #1 connectors and 19 could be replaced with the new black 1L liftarms (which indeed look better @Appie), without doing any harm to the black part of the bodywork. This leaves 4 black bushings.

With these changes (LXF-file here), the parts list boils down to these 2744 parts. This might change during the process of making instructions.

@BusterHaus, I could make available a tear down photo sequence on rebrickable first (which matches the high-level sequencing of your work). We can add the PDF-instructions once they are finished. What are your thoughts? A photo sequence would still take me some time of course.

6 hours ago, davebarrett said:

Not yet.  I will post it when it's ready.

2 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

@BusterHaus, I could make available a tear down photo sequence on rebrickable first (which matches the high-level sequencing of your work). We can add the PDF-instructions once they are finished. What are your thoughts? A photo sequence would still take me some time of course.

Sounds good, as the natives seem to be getting restless. :laugh:

11 hours ago, davebarrett said:

I'm sure you know this already but, for those who do not, you can extract a parts list for the LDD/LXF model. Granted, it is not necessarily complete, but that'll give an idea as to what parts to expect and which you need to start buying.

@Didumos69 if you want to post some teardown photos of the submodels, I would be happy to work on stepping the file.  @BusterHaus, I do not want to step on your work, so let me know if you would rather do it yourself.  I also don't want to duplicate effort that someone else might be working on.  However, I have some time now and happen to be excited about this model at the moment so I can help!

7 hours ago, Didumos69 said:
I counted 34 black bushings in my latest LXF-file. 8 could be replaced with LBG bushings, 1 could be replaced with a black perpendicular axle-pin connector, 2 could be replaced with black #1 connectors and 19 could be replaced with the new black 1L liftarms (which indeed look better @Appie), without doing any harm to the black part of the bodywork. This leaves 4 black bushings.

Well, I already ordered the 34 black bushings so I guess now I will have some extra for future builds!

1 hour ago, Blakbird said:

@Didumos69 if you want to post some teardown photos of the submodels, I would be happy to work on stepping the file.  @BusterHaus, I do not want to step on your work, so let me know if you would rather do it yourself.  I also don't want to duplicate effort that someone else might be working on.  However, I have some time now and happen to be excited about this model at the moment so I can help!

Well, I already ordered the 34 black bushings so I guess now I will have some extra for future builds!

Thanks for the offer @Blakbird! It would be great if you could help. I don't have the teardown photos yet. I plan to get to it as soon as possible, but it will probably take weeks to make them all. I assume your intention is to continue with the file provided by @BusterHaus. Perhaps I should focus on specific submodels to start with? I know that @BusterHaus did a lot of sequencing already, so I hope he can provide more details on what still needs to be done. I also have a LXF-file with the rough teardown steps in terms of groups. If that's useful, please let me know.

Too bad about the 34 bushes, but I'm sure they will be used some day :wink:.

I will let you know which submodels I need help with, if any.  The file actually looks like it is in pretty good shape so I may not need much help.   I'm getting started now.  Once I start going on one of these projects I pretty much go without food or sleep until they are done, so maybe it won't take very long!

Just now, Blakbird said:

I will let you know which submodels I need help with, if any.  The file actually looks like it is in pretty good shape so I may not need much help.   I'm getting started now.  Once I start going on one of these projects I pretty much go without food or sleep until they are done, so maybe it won't take very long!

Thanks for taking over @Blakbird - I really don't mind the help and appreciate you stepping up.  Let me know if you need any deciphering the MPD.  It has a bunch of WRITE commands that I used to document the instructions and give them some sense.  I can help you in any way you think is suitable.

6 minutes ago, Blakbird said:

I'm thrilled! Please let me know if you need additional pointers or help.

Looking at the end result, "fantastic" is the only word that came to mind :thumbup:

If I'm going to choose between building this or Lego's Porsche (42056), I'll pick this a hundred times... LOL

11 hours ago, PorkyMonster said:

Looking at the end result, "fantastic" is the only word that came to mind :thumbup:

If I'm going to choose between building this or Lego's Porsche (42056), I'll pick this a hundred times... LOL

Thanks!

If I were to choose between one dollar or ten dollar, I'll pick one dollar a hundred times... LOL

I hope you'll be able to build it - or part of it - someday!

I'm not sure how many people are waiting expectantly for the instructions to be available, but I wanted to report that we are making excellent progress.  I'd say we are 80%+ done.  Didumos is being very fastidious in getting all the details right (as expected), so I think people will be pleased with the results: both the model and the instructions.  After I build my copy, I'll be sure to post my thoughts as well.