That's really awesome! It's a great feeling when others take your own design and modify it into something (arguably) even better. Congrats!

1 hour ago, Beck said:

That's really awesome! It's a great feeling when others take your own design and modify it into something (arguably) even better. Congrats!

I feel honored indeed. Personally I prefer the manual version, also because of all the work I put in the gearbox and shifter. Nevertheless, I would love to see this model drive by itself.

Thank you very much for rewarding me with a first place in your Top (20)17 @Thirdwigg! Like I commented on your website: I hope to someday build something in the same collaborative way again. Thanks!

Edited by Didumos69

I'm working on some cutaways as presentation material. For those interested here's a cutaway showing all functional elements of the chassis. Here's the LXF-file (also contains the door locks).

960x270.jpg

I have started building this fantastic car and have to chime in saying that it is has an awesome design, without doubt!

I noticed a small inconsistency between the LDD/building instructions and the cut away quoted above. In the picture above there is an 8L axle with stop sitting right below the HOG steering mechanism. Whereas in the LDD and the instructions there is a standard 8L axle without stop. Has this been changed deliberately over the course of time (IMHO, the axle with stop makes more sense here)?

Edited by Woodstock89

9 minutes ago, Woodstock89 said:

I have started building this fantastic car and have to chime in saying that it is has an awesome design, without doubt!

I noticed a small inconsistency between the LDD/building instructions and the cut away quoted above. In the picture above there is an 8L axle with stop sitting right below the HOG steering mechanism. Whereas in the LDD and the instructions there is a standard 8L axle without stop. Has this been changed deliberately over the course of time (IMHO, the axle with stop makes more sense here)?

Thanks for building this model. You are right, the 8L axle with end-stop was replaced with a normal 8L axle. The reason was to make the building order more practical. The point where the axle is installed (step 88) does not allow for the installation of the axle with end-stop. If you see a way to install the axle with end-stop, you could (it is possible :wink:), but it's not necessary. It stays put also without the end-stop.

2 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Thanks for building this model. You are right, the 8L axle with end-stop was replaced with a normal 8L axle. The reason was to make the building order more practical. The point where the axle is installed (step 88) does not allow for the installation of the axle with end-stop. If you see a way to install the axle with end-stop, you could (it is possible :wink:), but it's not necessary. It stays put also without the end-stop.

Thanks for the fast response! I managed to install the axle with end-stop, but I agree, it was a bit difficult ;-)

Rebrickable user fredleg has posted better photos than I ever did. Awesome:

30014_O7eWiFP.jpg30014_So74ODT.jpg30014_snWWb9C.jpg30014_DV8j9Ch.jpg30014_DBVIBY2.jpg30014_USZ3cGf.jpg30014.jpg

I still have mine built.  I also have these rims. Perhaps I should try to change them  - they look really good. 

Still one of my most favorite models.  I don't keep things for long.... but this is one that I still don't see me taking apart anytime soon. 

20 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I still have mine built.  I also have these rims. Perhaps I should try to change them  - they look really good. 

Still one of my most favorite models.  I don't keep things for long.... but this is one that I still don't see me taking apart anytime soon. 

19 hours ago, astyanax said:

Darrrrrn. I had this on my to-build list already, but it just jumped toward the top!

Yeah, this one still makes me proud. When @Blakbird did his sale, this one was not on his list, so I always wishfully interpreted that as if he wanted to keep it (I know he had it built).

Edited by Didumos69

After a long period of not working on any model, and still only having a little bit of time to spend on LEGOs, I started revisiting this model, digitally first.

I'm trying to incorporate newer parts, like for instance the orange rotary catch for the gearbox and the rims of the Defender. I'm working my way from the outside to the inside. I have most of the bodywork done and want to incorporate this fake V6 engine with moving pistons and valves:

800x450.png800x450.png

800x450.png800x450.png

I also have an idea to increase ground clearance and suspension travel.

Please let me know what you think.

800x450.png800x450.png

800x450.png800x450.png

800x450.png800x450.png

Edited by Didumos69

Well, I would say it lost its 8880-ish look now. I wouldn't make the hood so solid-flat. Maybe a bigger hole in the center?

Additionally, I would change the rear 3/4 parts (after the doors) -  they may be more solid (made of bigger panels). Or, much better, I would highlight the air intales shape by making them more "angry".

I agree that it's lost its 8880-ish look. However, it does seem like the natural progression of your original model and it still feels rugged. If I really had to change something, I'd try to make the front - especially the bonnet - meaner, so to speak. Still, a masterpiece for the ages :pir-love:

Edited by suffocation

I like this look almost as much as the original with offroad tires. This makes it look like the hyper car version of a beach buggy...

DSC_0430_10.jpg

800x450.png

See the similarity? :sweet:

-ED-

I'm not really sure what to think. On one hand I like the closed look, but on the other hand the open look  was something different and really fit this MOC more than any other. Bodypanels usually create a more flexible bodywork which doesn't really fit this MOC imo. I will follow the progress though. I am very curious to see where this ends up with those new pieces. 

Still one of my favorite builds out there.  Bodywork was structural, angled, almost functional.  I welcome the changes with the new pieces, and it is always fun to go back and tweak an old build, but like others, I have my reservations about the front end.  I loved it the way it was... unique is a great way to put it.  

10 hours ago, whitepen said:

That looks FANTASTIC!

9 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

I like this look almost as much as the original with offroad tires. This makes it look like the hyper car version of a beach buggy...

Thanks for the comments!

15 hours ago, Void_S said:

Well, I would say it lost its 8880-ish look now.

10 hours ago, suffocation said:

I agree that it's lost its 8880-ish look.

8 hours ago, LvdH said:

I'm not really sure what to think. On one hand I like the closed look, but on the other hand the open look  was something different and really fit this MOC more than any other.

7 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I loved it the way it was... unique is a great way to put it.

Yes, the 8880-ish or unique look made me hesitate too. I don't see this as parting with the original build though. It's more like how @suffocation puts it:

However, it does seem like the natural progression of your original model

"A natural progression." The process of building the original was one in which I took into account all my self-imposed rules. The result almost felt like the only possible conclusion of that process. This 'revisiting' is more like: How would such a process end up today.

16 hours ago, Void_S said:

I wouldn't make the hood so solid-flat. Maybe a bigger hole in the center?

If I really had to change something, I'd try to make the front - especially the bonnet - meaner, so to speak.

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I have my reservations about the front end.

I'll see if I can make it more open or meaner.

16 hours ago, Void_S said:

Additionally, I would change the rear 3/4 parts (after the doors) -  they may be more solid (made of bigger panels). Or, much better, I would highlight the air intales shape by making them more "angry".

I agree that area needs attention. Something with more profound intakes is a great suggestion.

and it still feels rugged

8 hours ago, LvdH said:

Bodypanels usually create a more flexible bodywork which doesn't really fit this MOC imo.

8 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Bodywork was structural, angled, almost functional.

Ruggedness remains to be one of the primary objectives. The curved panel is a perfect piece for covering the structural elements, particularly in the roof and bonnet.

800x450.png

17 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Ruggedness remains to be one of the primary objectives. The curved panel is a perfect piece for covering the structural elements, particularly in the roof and bonnet.

Is retaining "hammerhead" an objective? Because the curved panels at the front seem to destroy the hammerhead look. Not saying that's bad, just asking what's your stance. :sweet:

1 hour ago, astyanax said:

Is retaining "hammerhead" an objective? Because the curved panels at the front seem to destroy the hammerhead look. Not saying that's bad, just asking what's your stance. :sweet:

Retaining "hammerhead" is not an objective. Retaining ruggedness is. Depending on how it ends up, I'll think of a new name.

Btw, here's an example of some connections near the rear lights illustrating the ruggedness. Nothing should come apart easily.

800x450.png

16 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Btw, here's an example of some connections near the rear lights illustrating the ruggedness. Nothing should come apart easily.

Well, the pushing the stud of 85x85p.jpg?1610892378.5304286 into a pin hole should hold well, but it could be even more rugged if there were room on the other side of the half-beam to insert -- for example -- a pneumatic T-piece 85x85p.jpg?1610892311.8122444 into the open stud to hold the light from the other side as well... :wink: