Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

Great mods Richpepperell!  I didn't know about that stickered tile..but now I think I need to go buy one.  If you want to soup it up more, you could also add a hologram on a 2x2 jumper tile to the left of Veers. 

I also really like the removable seating -- looks like I left you just barely enough room haha.  Most of my troopers have the kama cloth/trench coat, and I like that, but they have trouble sitting down.  Your seated troopers on the top level definitely look better, though.  Now I'm torn...

I really dig the 2X2 circle tiles on the ankles. 

Me too.  The ankles are what bothers me the most about the model, actually.  I spent hours trying to come up with a snot version, but there are a lot of issues with that due to the way the rest of the leg is designed.  So I eventually said "screw it" and just went with what the set had :)  When TLG finally comes out with a 2x2 wedge plate in lbg (maybe my most wanted piece) I'd like to take another crack at them.

In other news, a guy on rebrickable managed to cram 31 snowtroopers in his build, and he shared some pics:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/151644376@N07/sets/72157679996933875/

Or maybe this link if that one doesn't work, I dunno https://www.flickr.com/gp/151644376@N07/V5664U

Edited by Raskolnikov

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Great mods Richpepperell!  I didn't know about that stickered tile..but now I think I need to go buy one.  If you want to soup it up more, you could also add a hologram on a 2x2 jumper tile to the left of Veers. 

I also really like the removable seating -- looks like I left you just barely enough room haha.  Most of my troopers have the kama cloth/trench coat, and I like that, but they have trouble sitting down.  Your seated troopers on the top level definitely look better, though.  Now I'm torn...

Me too.  The ankles are what bothers me the most about the model, actually.  I spent hours trying to come up with a snot version, but there are a lot of issues with that due to the way the rest of the leg is designed.  So I eventually said "screw it" and just went with what the set had :)  When TLG finally comes out with a 2x2 wedge plate in lbg (maybe my most wanted piece) I'd like to take another crack at them.

In other news, a guy on rebrickable managed to cram 31 snowtroopers in his build, and he shared some pics:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/151644376@N07/sets/72157679996933875/

31 you say? I can't view his flickr for some reason so not sure where he's sticking them, but I see this as the start of the "how many snow troopers?" challenge!

2 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

31 you say? I can't view his flickr for some reason so not sure where he's sticking them, but I see this as the start of the "how many snow troopers?" challenge!

The second link worked for me.  They're all standing, packed side by side, top and bottom level.

I finished building this AT-AT this week and I really enjoyed building it. Apart from a few unclear or difficult piece placements it felt like I was building an actual Lego set. Thanks for sharing this awsome build!

Hello guys,

I am thinking of building this.

The only thing that worries me is the durability.

Is it sturdy and poseable? Or whenever I touch I risk to knock off some pieces?
It looks fabolous and I would love to have it, but I don't want to be paranoid when I move it around.

3 hours ago, ZodiacKiller said:

Hello guys,

I am thinking of building this.

The only thing that worries me is the durability.

Is it sturdy and poseable? Or whenever I touch I risk to knock off some pieces?
It looks fabolous and I would love to have it, but I don't want to be paranoid when I move it around.

I'd genuinely say that the build is no less durable than an official set and is surprisingly sturdy for something of this size.  The technic framework is absolutely solid.  There are certainly a couple of bits that are more likely to fall off (namely the dishes for the knees/hips) but this really isn't an issue.  There is also good articulation at the ankles, hips and knees enabling realistic posing, along with 2 points of articulation for the head/neck.

Looks great!  Another decent option for improving the ankles, too.

Regarding shortening the leg plating, we were just talking about that on page 7 since richiejwalker made the same modification.  I'm not personally a fan of ever bending the knees backwards, so I didn't design the legs to be able to do that.  I like the walking poses where one or both forward-swept legs have the knee bent but the trailing legs are straight.  Richpepperell (what is it with Riches and building AT-ATs?) recently took some nice pics of his modded version in a one-knee-bent pose:

20170215_231749

Edited by Raskolnikov

Ordered all the parts  today!

Costed me less than 200 pounds including shipping.

Can't wait to build this!

I will probably buy some sand blue parts as well, as someone above did, I really like that the colors are matching with the most recent AT ST.

I read about the modifications to the ankles, don't quite understand what has been changed. Could anyone explain to me and if it's worth doing these modifications?

Don't want to alter the stability of the model though.

Will post some WIP and complete product pics if you guys don't mind, very excited!

Sounds great ZodiacKiller!  (I was going to comment about how it's strange to respond to someone in a cheerful fashion when they're named after a serial killer, but then I remembered that I'm named after a murderer, too...)

To answer your question about the ankle mods, there's nothing to worry about.  Structurally they're the same as the set and I don't think anyone has changed that.  I just lazily used some 1x2 jumper plates on them to add some superficial detail, but it probably looks better to use 2x2 disks or round tiles.

Just received all the pieces and am starting to build this awesome MOC!  Are there any known mistakes or areas which can be improved upon which you wish you had done differently?

Built my second AT-AT and modified both with some of the Sand Blue / DBG pieces. 

Now I need to build the third one pfff :p 

33145314276_36eea4361b_b.jpg

You should consider putting this up on Lego Ideas.  At this point so many have been built it's almost a no brainer for them ;)

Built my second AT-AT and modified both with some of the Sand Blue / DBG pieces. 

Now I need to build the third one pfff :p 

I'm thinking about adding the sand blue as well.  I would definitely have done it except I kind of "de-colorized" my AT-STs already.

Anyway, can't wait to see a third, you'll be the first with three of 'em.  Who knows what trouble they could get into.

Also, can't help but notice that you flipped the roof panel :) I know the other side has those loose grilles attached with one stud, but I thought that was necessary for some reason.  Can't exactly tell why without being back at my apartment.  It certainly looks fine the way you have it, does everything fit OK?

You should consider putting this up on Lego Ideas.  At this point so many have been built it's almost a no brainer for them ;)

They don't really like licensed stuff, though, do they?  I'd also feel kinda bad if it got a lot of votes because LEGO really did do a lot of the intellectual work on this.  Figuring out the general plan for a model is sometimes the toughest part, and I basically followed their plan but made everything bigger and shinier.  Anyway, if they think there's a market out there, I'm sure they'll eventually come out with something similar.

Just received all the pieces and am starting to build this awesome MOC!  Are there any known mistakes or areas which can be improved upon which you wish you had done differently?

Sure, there's a bunch of info. in this thread probably.  Most serious issues with the instructions is that a few tiles on the backs of the legs are hard to see, and there might be some cheap technic pins missing -- wouldn't worry about it too much, though.  In terms of doing things differently, I might try a totally different construction method for the legs, but that'd be a lot of work.  I meant to attach the head side panels better as well, but never got around to it.

3 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

I'm thinking about adding the sand blue as well.  I would definitely have done it except I kind of "de-colorized" my AT-STs already.

Anyway, can't wait to see a third, you'll be the first with three of 'em.  Who knows what trouble they could get into.

Also, can't help but notice that you flipped the roof panel :) I know the other side has those loose grilles attached with one stud, but I thought that was necessary for some reason.  Can't exactly tell why without being back at my apartment.  It certainly looks fine the way you have it, does everything fit OK?

Yea, that was a mistake haha. Didn't see it until I uploaded the pictures, but there were no issues with this variant. I like the way you built it better so I will change it back to the original build when I get home. 

Thank-You Raskolnikov for an awesome AT-AT!

The size and the use of common parts makes this model a true winner!

I am trying different options for the joints.  Opinions?

1280x720.jpg

Just in case anyone was wondering, as sturdy as this build is, it cannot survive being knocked off a 5ft high shelf by a cat. Let the rebuild begin...

Thank-You Raskolnikov for an awesome AT-AT!

The size and the use of common parts makes this model a true winner!

I am trying different options for the joints.  Opinions?

You're welcome, thanks! 

I did buy 4 printed dishes and try them out on the first plus-size AT-AT I made, but I decided to go with the plain ones in the end.  A less "busy" design seemed to fit the rest of the model better.  I do kind of like the 4x4 printed dish on the back left knee, though, with the light bluish gray border around it.  If it's not too wide, that looks kind of cool.  Back right knee looks OK, too, but I'm not sure what you can do with the top joints that would match it well.  Also, 12 6x6 printed dishes is an expensive order, I think.

On a side note, I'm not going to be able to stop you guys from bending the knees backwards, am I?  Ah well, I tried :)

Just in case anyone was wondering, as sturdy as this build is, it cannot survive being knocked off a 5ft high shelf by a cat. Let the rebuild begin...

Ouch.

7 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

I did buy 4 printed dishes and try them out on the first plus-size AT-AT I made, but I decided to go with the plain ones in the end.  A less "busy" design seemed to fit the rest of the model better.  I do kind of like the 4x4 printed dish on the back left knee, though, with the light bluish gray border around it.  If it's not too wide, that looks kind of cool.  Back right knee looks OK, too, but I'm not sure what you can do with the top joints that would match it well.  Also, 12 6x6 printed dishes is an expensive order, I think.

On a side note, I'm not going to be able to stop you guys from bending the knees backwards, am I?  Ah well, I tried :)

I can see the benefit of your design using plain dishes and using the printed dishes.  I just want to find a combination that I like without looking too busy as you have said.

When it will be on display, I will not be bending the knees backwards :)   I have looked at movie footage and it is not stable if the legs are orientated as in the movie.  Your method shown above works well though.