Raskolnikov

Build Your Own Plus Size AT-AT

5 hours ago, manglegrat said:

Wow, I love it! It's bigger than my cat. :grin:

Thanks again, guys, for sharing this amazing MOC for others to build. :thumbup::thumbup:

Comparison pic?  ;)

Wow, I love it! It's bigger than my cat. :grin:

I'm glad, great pic, too.  It's really cool to see the same AT-ATs that are on my kitchen countertop (yeah, I really need more shelf space) being built by others, sometimes in different countries.  Oh, the internet.

I also concur with Schneeds on wanting a comparison pic with a cat :)

16 hours ago, Schneeds said:

Comparison pic?  ;)

:grin: Great idea! If only my cat was as cooperative and poseable as the AT-AT... :sceptic:

I put it on the floor and while it's taller than he is, he's longer and out-bulks it by quite a bit, especially around his saggy belly!

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

I'm glad, great pic, too.  It's really cool to see the same AT-ATs that are on my kitchen countertop (yeah, I really need more shelf space) being built by others, sometimes in different countries.  Oh, the internet.

I also concur with Schneeds on wanting a comparison pic with a cat :)

I tried for a few minutes to get the cat to sit next to the AT-AT, but all the ginger idiot wanted to do was nuzzle my camera-holding hand and miaow at me for strokes and ear-scritchies. He just wouldn't take any direction from the photographer at all. :laugh:

As W.C. Fields said "never work with animals or children"...

9 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Yeah it looks really big!

Is it possible to modify it into an AT-ACT?

Yea, that doesn't take many pieces as it is an 'unfinished' AT-AT. But not every piece for the sides of the vehicle comes in orange so you have to make some changes there or use a different color. 

I'm putting in a BL order to build this beauty. 

Question, it's only feels proper to do an AT-ST of similar scale at the same time. Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Yeah, I agree with Kevii23 that modifying to an AT-ACT should be doable.  I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Question, it's only feels proper to do an AT-ST of similar scale at the same time. Any suggestions? 

Well, a big part of the reason I even made this AT-AT at all is because I bought the AT-ST set (75153) that's out right now.  The AT-ST just looked way too big in comparison to the AT-AT sets.  So, while they're not properly to scale or anything, you could say that the plus-sized AT-AT actually was designed to be displayed next to the 75153.

Anyway, there are a bunch of great AT-ST MOCs out there.  But getting the set and modding it was enough for me (for now, anyway).  There are a lot of mod ideas in this thread:  http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/140965-75153-at-st-modification/

One of the original pics includes height comparisons:

From the front (with modded AT-ST)

On December 29, 2016 at 10:04 AM, Raskolnikov said:

Glad you like it even in better in person.  You get those lift arms in yet?  I'm hoping to see it make an appearance in some of your SoNE builds or dioramas -- although you'll definitely have your work cut out for you fitting it in frame, heh.

I finally got them today and having finished I can't wipe off the big old smile on my face. I have always wanted an AT-AT in lego but every time lego has one out I seem to miss out on it. :classic: The build is brilliantly done, its very fun to build, and looks mighty impressive. I would love to get it into my SoNE story so i'll make it work...somehow :grin:

31915568752_f97ed9feea_c.jpg

I did make some minor tweaks more to better integrate the AT-AT with my AT-ST which is drastically different to TLG's version. I added cylinders at the end of the main guns so that the AT-AT had heavier cannons (thicker barrels) then the chin gun of the AT-ST. The side head guns are a little heavier with a technic pin at the end. I also added a third layer to the curved foot piece to boost the height so that that the AT-ST is below where the top of the legs get thicker. 

Fun fact because of the Rogue One Visual dictionary the AT-ST's canon height is 9.04 meters tall. That means TLG's model, mine, and i'm assuming Raskolnicov's are technically the correct height in comparison to a figure.       

Edited by Forresto

Looks great -- that rancor sure looks tiny in comparison!  I'd like to have a go at doing further mods to my AT-STs as well, but alas, other projects and real life interfere.

Btw, a little lbg binocular piece may have fallen off the front body exterior panels (or maybe it's still on the to-do list).  I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I really like that piece :)

All I can say is that you can post 1000 pictures of this build, but none of them will show you how good/big/realistic it in real life is. Really nice job. 

I'm going all in and decided that I'll make 3 of these (2 more to go) :) 

7 hours ago, Kevii23 said:

I'm going all in and decided that I'll make 3 of these (2 more to go) :) 

Truly a man after my own heart -- can't wait to see the inevitable Hoth setup!

On January 3, 2017 at 0:48 PM, Raskolnikov said:

Looks great -- that rancor sure looks tiny in comparison!  I'd like to have a go at doing further mods to my AT-STs as well, but alas, other projects and real life interfere.

Btw, a little lbg binocular piece may have fallen off the front body exterior panels (or maybe it's still on the to-do list).  I wouldn't have mentioned it, but I really like that piece :)

To Do List. I found two in my collection and then I lost one. :blush: I also need to buy another Light Blue Grey Fabuland Disc, man those are hard to find. 

11 hours ago, Forresto said:

[...] I also need to buy another Light Blue Grey Fabuland Disc, man those are hard to find. 

It looks like started to sell a lot more of those Fabuland discs on Bricklink when these instructions were released :grin:

So we finally got the first snow of winter and while it was a lame storm I decided to get some shots of the AT-AT outside. Not Hoth necessarily but we can pretend its a tundra planet.

I have to say the model is pretty durable. I foolishly took a short cut and slipped down a twenty foot slope and this baby survived completely intact. It wasnt a bad slip, like i'm completely fine as I was on my butt the whole time and landed in snow. Seeing the walker in the snow made it all worth it!   

31360029173_d4edd22f5a_c.jpg

31360034783_0f67cfb8e1_c.jpg

Edited by Forresto

Did some more digging tonight. I have been able to pull 2043 parts from my bulk!!! My LEGO budget is pretty much blown for this month so I'll see if I can't dig up some more parts and Bricklink the rest next month! Thanks again for your amazing MOC and sharing it with us!!!

So we finally got the first snow of winter and while it was a lame storm I decided to get some shots of the AT-AT outside. Not Hoth necessarily but we can pretend its a tundra planet.

I have to say the model is pretty durable. I foolishly took a short cut and slipped down a twenty foot slope and this baby survived completely intact. It wasnt a bad slip, like i'm completely fine as I was on my butt the whole time and landed in snow. Seeing the walker in the snow made it all worth it!   

Looks great!  That might be just the right amount of snow for pictures.  I've got like a foot outside, but I'm not sure if it's packed hard enough to avoid the model sinking into it.

4 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

I've got like a foot outside, but I'm not sure if it's packed hard enough to avoid the model sinking into it.

Me too! All the snow came yesterday. Just curious where do you live?

Need 100 more pieces for ATAT 2 and 3, but it's mostly the generic stuff like tiles and some technic things so shouldn't cost me much.. 

Before making the first one I had a SW + Minifigs + D2C sets (after already tearing down all my Superhero sets), but after building the AT-AT I decided that I had to focus more on SW to make things like this. So right now I'm in the process of breaking down my GB HQ, Disney Castle, Simpsons sets haha. What did you make me do Raskol?!

On 1/11/2017 at 1:42 PM, Kevii23 said:

Need 100 more pieces for ATAT 2 and 3, but it's mostly the generic stuff like tiles and some technic things so shouldn't cost me much.. 

Before making the first one I had a SW + Minifigs + D2C sets (after already tearing down all my Superhero sets), but after building the AT-AT I decided that I had to focus more on SW to make things like this. So right now I'm in the process of breaking down my GB HQ, Disney Castle, Simpsons sets haha. What did you make me do Raskol?!

I am also so close. 92% of the parts... missing some of the tech 1x16 bricks... not easy to get all in 1 spot right now.. prob because we are all building it.. haha

If it'd help, I think at least four of the 1x16s would look fine in black -- the ones supporting the hinges/snot panels on the body.  There are probably a bunch more color substitutions that can be made without much impact -- I just buy lots of lbg and dbg, so that's what I end up building with even if it's covered up.

Edited by Raskolnikov